The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want a Pot Belly Pig

Yes, I know about pigs. I still want one. A nice small well bred pig. I have googled Minnesota and come up with nothing. Can anyone direct me to a good breeder here or in Wisconsin or Iowa.

WWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (pig noise)

You do know they get to be fairly large animals, right? The zoo in Greenville SC has some cast-off pets that look as though they'd weigh around 200 lbs. Not a lot for a hog, I'll grant you, but way larger than the average house pet.

Anyway, to keep this horse-related, how does your horse feel about porcine-Americans? Most of the ones I know react with horror.

But I confess to a fondness for swine. They're very smart. Although we've a feral hog problem here just now - they root up drainage ditches, spoil crops, frighten horses, the lot. Bad actors.

Some fellow in England is breeding teacup sized pigs. Wouldn't you prefer one who didn't get huge? Worth a google, I'd think.

yes, i know that the well bred ones stay small. I have done my research and the poorly bred guys balloon up. A well bred pot belly should stay under 80lbs.... I have a donkey and a mule and chickens along with my horses. I think a piggy brought in as a baby will be just fine. I am a firm believer in they should be exposed and deal with everything. If a hot air balloon can land in my pasture and four wheelers fly by than by god they can take a piggy!

I have spring fever and need a new baby on this joint! Anyone else feeling this? I have a 30 year old horse this year, and nothing dog cat chicken or horse under 3, most over 15.

We need some young blood to spunk us up!

I know of a good breeder in WI. This one from their place that only got to be a little larger then in the photo http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...00000414819086

Actually here he is full grown http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...g/IMG_0015.jpg

oh please give me the name or web of the breeder! I am not into facebook and don't want to start, but that pig was adorable!

Thanks!

My daughter and I just got two. They're not weaned yet though. They're mini pot bellies. They have two more pink girls and a black boy. We're in SWVA though. Don't pay for one. They have NO value. LOL Cute but useless.
    M

We bought one from a guy in Texas who advertises them as "micro-minis" . And when you read the fine, fine print, you discover that they will top out at around 75 pounds--not so mini. But ours is just the best! He's nearly a year old now, so I'm assuming he's fully grown, and weighs around 45 lbs. He's very active in the barn and all the horses accept him as a bro--he's got the run of the place and not one horse has ever reacted badly to him. He loves people, dogs, cats horses and anyone with grapes.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1491799817 Here he is with my grandaughter and her puppy.

Well, if he grows too big, you can always turn him into bacon...
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Sparky ~ that is one cute pig ! What is your pig's name?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Sparky ~ that is one cute pig ! What is your pig's name?
    His name is Itty Bitty Bobby. Because he was, once. Now we call him Robust Robert. I forgot to mention that he does more tricks than the dogs--sits for a treat, kisses for a treat, shakes hands for a treat--(hmm, there's a pattern here.) Plus he wags his tail like he's happy all the time. We love him!
    (For a little comparison, the dog in the photos weighs 10 pounds)
    Last edited by Sparky; Apr. 24, 2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: toadd a bit more!

Well, Itty Bitty Bobby is a handsome lad and cute as a button !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Itty Bitty Bobby's tail is straighter then the puppies. How adorable. I want one! My husband loves pigs. I think he needs one for his birthday!
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Pot bellies are wonderful.we have one on our farm and all the boarders adore her,and even horses here that were initially frightened of other pigs like her. Maybe because she is relatively small and very friendly and non-aggressive.
    She also has SOME use beyond being better than prozac for lifting your mood--she is very diligent about scarfing up any stray grain horses leave about,thus making the barn less hospitable to rodents and other varmints.

I, too, want one. I mean, we have ten acres of pasture down the road we're going to build on some day....

We had friends years ago that had one named Hamlet. I kid you not, he refused to go to sleep (in their front hall with his blankets) unless they put the chain saw in bed with him.

One night, we were over for dinner and he kept annoying one of the guests. Lynn gave him a smack on his pork butt, and he went over near the pool and peed. That was his opinion of being disciplined.

Well, I have one that wandered over from the neighbors and never went back. I'd say he weighs about 100 pounds, but I really don't know. I had to catch him once and tried to pick him up. I can heft 75 pounds okay, but I really struggled with him.

"Roger" is pretty much good for nothing except he does keep the coyotes off the chickens. When he sees one on the edge of the property, he starts screaming which in turns sets the dogs on the coyote. He's into everything, you have to keep doors closed everywhere, he tips over garbage cans, chews wood, keeps trying to get in the house (slimes up the sliding glass door), won't have his feet trimmed...getting the picture? My DH isn't fond of him, either.

He is sorta fun to have around at times, but I sure wouldn't go out and get one on purpose.

We had one of the bigger ones (125 -150 lbs) named Porker for years. He got along great with the horses (he had the run of the place and my mare just LOVED him). He had HUGE tusks, just like a wild boar, that we never had removed, but he was very careful with how he used them, and he never bit or scratched us with them.

I actually picked him up off the side of the road - he was rooting in a very remote area (no houses, so we think someone dropped him off). I was pulling the trailer home from a barrel racing one night and saw him, so I got out and called him, and he came RACING over to me and I was scared, but stood my ground, sensing that he wasn't doing it because he was wild. He rubbed on my leg for a minute, so I picked him up and threw him in the truck cab. We had him for about 5 years before he finally died - I think he was actually pretty old when I got him, but he sure was sweet. Into everything like a mischievous child, though.

This is some seriously great timing: I just stumbled across a re run of a movie called Uptown Girls and the Dakotah Fanning character has a pet piggy that is Bobbys body double -- he seems to be the real star of the movie!

ah yes....Wilma the wonderful does have a penchant for wandering over to neighboring farms,even if it entails going down our 1/3 mile drive,crossing a bridge,and going up their drive. She also will swim the creek on occasion and has roamed as far as a couple miles,presumably looking for love in all the wrong places,or at least a good time. She is something of a party pig and gets bored if folks aren't around to give her attention. She does enjoy a car ride!She can jump out over 18 inches or so as well,which is why she has the run of the place. And she does have a habit of opening doors and not closing them and tipping over trash if we are silly enough to leave an open can out.

howardh- I will try to get it for you. The breeder is in Appleton WI.

I've had a pot bellied pig for the last 16 years. He was offered for free from a guy that worked with my husband. My husband said all the other possible "takers" wanted to know how much he weighed...as in "Is he eat'n size?" So we took him to save him from the BBQ. He is a fairly good sized boy. We had him neutered, if not they stink really bad and try to hump everything...the dog was not amused . I don't think "cute" would be a word I'd used to describe him: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...&id=1685723434. I don't feed him much and he is still "fat as a pig" but we have pecan trees and he literally "pigs" out on pecans. He loves figs and anything you are eating.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."