The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Great crosses for a Rubinstein mare?

I just purchased a new imported Hannoverian broodmare that I am very excited about. She is by Rubinstein and out of a Wenzel I mare. She is lovely, very correct, and a total doll.

What do you think are the best crosses on a mare like this? I would prefer a stallion that I can get fresh, cooled semen from vs. frozen, but this mare has had good luck with frozen in the past. I am obviously aiming for a fancy dressage prospect and would prefer to register with Hannoverian or GOV.

Her full pedigree can be seen at: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/rubina86

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on what the best crosses you have seen on a mare like this are!
    Eclipse Sporthorses LLC
    Quality Warmbloods & Thoroughbreds

www.eclipsesporthorses.com

Check with River House Hanoverians, I believe that mare has had a few good foals by Maronjo for them.
    ETA She shares a motherline with some very nice horses, including the approved stallions Akatschi and Benidetto.

'State premium mare Shocolata, who was highly decorated at regional and supraregional shows was mated with Wenzel I eleven times and gave birth to diverse auction horses with advanced placements and four state premium mares, including the threefold dam of stallions Wienerin. In the family competition, the daughters of Shocolata won four times in Verden (i. a. the District Animal Show) and were vice-champion family three times.'

If your looking for fresh in the US and Hanoverian look at Falsterbo. I am competely in love with him. :-D

Sharon Garner at Garner Creek Farms is great with answering any question so send her an email and see what she has to say about the cross.

Good luck!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." *Thomas Edison
    A champion is a dreamer that refused to give up!!

I own a Rubinstein I mare that I have bred many times. Using fresh semen, one of the best crosses I had with her was by Weltbekannt. Another was by Fabuleux. Of course, all horses have damlines, and your mare's will be different from mine, so your results using stallions that I have used with my mare will be very likely to vary. I don't think anyone here can make an educated guess without seeing good pics of your mare and (even better) getting some info on her mare inspection and MPT scores (if she did an MPT). I am local to you and would be happy to try to help in more detail.

I asked the same question about a month ago. I have a new Rubinstein to.

From what I can tell.. GENERALLY SPEAKING.. as we have not seen your mare... Sandro Hit, Weltmeyers, Florestans all cross well with Rubinsteins. There are fresh options with each line here so I'd start looking at those. Believe me, that will keep you busy.

I'd post pictures and have people tell you what her strengths and weaknesses are, if you're not sure.

Make sure you call stallion owners to discuss their stallion and your mare and what type of mare works best with him. And then call owners of that stallions offspring and talk to them. A lot of people will tell you things over the phone but not put it in writing.

A good clue is if you ask a question and don't get an answer.

A lot of people will tell you things over the phone but not put it in writing
    This.

I have a mare that is Maurice on top, but Wenzel I on the bottom. She is more Wenzel than Maurice with the excecption of her head and neck.

Her best foal for me to date was Fred Astair. Unfortunately, Fred is really, really poorly marketed to the public. I keep threatening to put his picture on a milk carton "Have you seen this stallion?"
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    This.

I have a mare that is Maurice on top, but Wenzel I on the bottom. She is more Wenzel than Maurice with the excecption of her head and neck.

Her best foal for me to date was Fred Astair. Unfortunately, Fred is really, really poorly marketed to the public. I keep threatening to put his picture on a milk carton "Have you seen this stallion?"
    Yes, this is very sad. Tom just doesn't seem to have any real interest in marketing him as a stallion. He is enjoying riding and showing him, but breeding is not his "thing."

Fred Astair is an AWESOME stallion. SO much presence.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

If I'm not mistaken, that is the same damline that ISF's Akatschi descends from...that could be another resource to consider when stallion searching.

Is this the Rubina that Ryan Yap used to ride?

I think an interesting cross might be Sonntagskind, who is Sandro Hit-Donnerhall-Rubenstein. Martha Diaz of Redwind Farm just two days ago got a foal from her Rubenstein-Inschallah mare out of this stallion. Cuuuuuute baby!! You can contact Martha about how she thinks this cross worked.

Oh, and of course Donnerhall.

Default as an aside - hano people

As an aside, iin regards to the OP's mare line, why would the dam be registered as a "V" mare out of a "W" line? Just curious for any insight. Thanks!

It really depends on what you are looking to breed, and what your mare's strengths and weaknesses are. Generally speaking, I also like 'D' crossed with 'R.' I can't wait to breed Royal Prince to my Davignon mare.

Have you seen Donarweiss GGF? I have yearling filly sired by him who is stunning. She should be pretty versatile when she grows up. Donarweiss stands at Hilltop Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    As an aside, iin regards to the OP's mare line, why would the dam be registered as a "V" mare out of a "W" line? Just curious for any insight. Thanks!
    My bet is that it is a typo and the dam is Walencia (which would be pronounced as if the W was a V).

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Oh, and of course Donnerhall.
    This is what I have heard from many people on this forum and elswhere. Rubinstein x Donnerhall is very popular.

There are probably quite a few Donnerhall descendants available in North America. Here is Donner Bube, who is in Canada
    http://www.donnerbube.com/

Donnerschlag
    http://www.fairwindfarm.com/donnerschlag.htm

Sir Donnerhall (Donnerhall via damline, sire is Sandro Hit)
    http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s...donnerhall.htm

I met Shocolata on my very first trip to Germany about 20 years ago. Back at that time when shipped semen was uncommon there, it was so interesting to see numerous horses of the same breeding. Wenzel-Shogun was a very successful one I saw.

One can make general statements about crosses with Rubinstein (eg, may need improved elasticity and shoulder freedom in trot), but other than that, there have been so many Rubinstein mares bred to so many stallions, I think it is very difficult to nail down a bloodlne combination that is better than another.

To me, the more important question is what has your mare's mareline been successful with? Based upon what is in paardenfokken (admittedly incomplete), in addition to the previously mentioned crosses with Akzent II, I'm most interested in the B-line. There are 2 approved stallions from this mare line with a B-descendant sire, one by Breitling W and the other by Bellisimo M (Linda Woltz's Benidetto). Therefore, in looking at stallions in the US, you could consider Bergamon (especially since Bugatti Hilltop is Bergamon-Rubinstein) or Bonhuer or for frozen Bellisimo M or going really old school Banter. Another option that would warrent investigating would be Benidetto to consolidate 2 stallions and the mare Shocolata. Shocolata and Wenzel would be 5s x 3d and Romadour II would be 4s x 4d. Linda posts here and would know if this would be a good idea.