The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff from the KWPN stallion video thread... Young Totilas footage?

I was watching the stallions go, again... and of course, they are stunning.

I watched Totilas for the umpth time and while some might call him freaky, I like him. Not so much the famous extended trot, but the rest of his work is very good IMO...

Anyways, I think his freak extended trot is due to training and this got me wondering if anyone had any footing of the young Totilas? I think it would be interesting to see how does a future star like Totilas looks as a young, unbalanced 3 year-old or so...

Anyone?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I would love to see some early footage as well. I remember him bursting onto the small tour scene but prior to that nothing.

Someone posted a link to a video of Totilas as a young stallion u/s within the last 6? months??

It was nice, but kind of normal moving, nothing like he moves now. It was kind of interesting, and make me wonder when/how did they put those gaits on him?

I just don't get the criticism.....

Are dressage people (any any breeder, really) striving to reach perfection in their breeding? he has been criticized saying that the "exaggerated gaits are inflating the scores"

Sounds like sour apples to me..... Dressage is always looking for more more more, more reach, more power, more collection... Seems like Totilas is the only one that has come close to perfection.... why the hell have a 10 in dressage if you can never get to 100% (that is another debate entirely).

Anyway... just frustrates me that people are like "needs more this, needs more that" and when it finally comes "no no no, too much, can't be that good!"

Gaits that are incredibly impressive are wonderful, but sometimes gaits begin to look like Saddleseat or Tennessee Walking horse gaits, and they are "created" using artificial means - heavier shoes, bungees attached from pastern to neck, soring. I would hope dressage never comes to that.
    Last edited by Fairview Horse Center; Apr. 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM.

TSHEventing, I am not sure why you are posting this?

I said that I liked the stallion and no one posted on thread saying the contrary... I don't know, perhaps I didn't have enough coffee this morning?

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't see how it relates to my question?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

There is a video of a 2007 clinic with Totilas, where you can see him jogging and his gaits look different:

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZkAqyniCgE
    part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7itK8W6J4E
    part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfRuCoXa1A0