The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Anky reserve reining champion in Sweden

On her way to competing in two disciplines at WEG. I wonder if this has ever been done before.

http://www.barnmice.com/group/horsej...ve-champion-at

how many dressge riders can Holland bring to WEG? Wouldn't it be weird if Anky qualified for reining but NOT dressage?

http://www.horsus.nl/nl/?p=videos_ni...11&nb=4232&t1=

Here's the video link of one of the rides

I love all the hooting and cheering. Imagine that during a dressage test!

She's pretty good! I wonder if she bought a made reining horse of if she did some of the training herself?

I know she has started some sort of weird trend... there was a lady that moved to my home area from Frankfurt Germany and bought a reining horse (a horse that was apparently pretty decent at reining) but she proceeded to try to teach him dressage instead. Naturally, he thought the whole concept of contact was quite odd and she couldn't understand why he wouldn't take contact well. Subsequently, he wound up for sale. Not sure for what discipline though as I imagine he was slightly confused.

I enjoy the things she's saying - I agree that the basics are the same between reining and dressage. Obviously mouth contact isn't, but that just means you use your seat more in reining, in the same way you would in dressage. Too many people have an us vs. them attitude among whatever their discipline is and all others, so I think the crossover is pretty neat.

And I love the horse - palomino quarter horses are my weakness.

n2dressage - I've seen some horses easily able to make that conversion, where others definitely do get confused. Before I bought my OTTB I would have loved to get a reining-type horse who was willing to accept contact, but it does take a special horse. I think in past articles she was working with a top reining trainer who was having her try different horses who were already made horses?
    Last edited by netg; Apr. 22, 2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Because I have no idea why I put quotation marks around the word contact

1 members found this post helpful.

a made and talented horse. As in dressage , simply being able to do the pattern in reining isn't enough,movement, style and way of going matter.
    Top horses or horses with FEI potential are every bit as expensive as any other disipline. Since reining is more recent to FEI competition some countrys dont have riders yet or may only have one,(like Ireland)
    An individual can qualify for WEG in reining even if their country can't field a whole team. The score requirements are posted and you must achieve/qualify that score at 2 different shows. Sweden will have a full team
    Sweden has had riders and some good trainer for a while, I remember people comming over to shop for reiners more than 10 years ago. Almost 20 years ago,I remember a guy from Italy comming over to buy 40 quarterhorses between the ages of 3 and 9, he had a purse full of cash, it was a long week. Italy has a darn good team now and also a very good Quarterhorse show circuit .

She's off to another one today. She trains with Rieky Young.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I'd like to see her hop off at the end of a test on Salinero, drop the bit for inspection, rebridle and walk out of the arena. Wonder if she's getting any insights from this ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

This ride was much better than the last I saw her do. However, she could not beat our top reiners yet. Her slow circles were four-beating. Her stops are not straight. Her slides are still too much on the forehand.

Part of the trouble that she had in dressage was the canter work, though she was given good scores anyway. But, if you watch her tempiis, you will see the same lack of her seat down in the saddle that is creating the problems in the reining. She still is relying too much on the bit, and not enough off her seat yet. If she continues to progress in reining, I think it will greatly help her dressage riding.

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    This ride was much better than the last I saw her do. However, she could not beat our top reiners yet. Her slow circles were four-beating. Her stops are not straight. Her slides are still too much on the forehand.

Part of the trouble that she had in dressage was the canter work, though she was given good scores anyway. But, if you watch her tempiis, you will see the same lack of her seat down in the saddle that is creating the problems in the reining. She still is relying too much on the bit, and not enough off her seat yet. If she continues to progress in reining, I think it will greatly help her dressage riding.
    She needs to learn to do patterns without a bridle, so she realizes how much she is still a hand rider.
    Most well trained higher level reiners will do what you ask without a bridle, they just will not keep being correct if you do it too much.
    But, to learn to use your seat and legs correctly, basic reining lessons are hours of crossed arms, "lopin", stopping and doing all that off your seat and legs.

It would be great if she could participate in both disciplines at the top, even if she doesn't win it all.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm jealous . . . jealous of her energy to ride two disciplines at a very high level, not to mention her family,farm and business ventures. Go Anky!
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

She looked pretty good in a non-pro way. She needs to make her cues less obvious, especially in her transitions, and she needs to let her horse finish his stop before attempting the rollback-he looked like he could have kept going quite some distance in the vid I saw.

All in all a good run but just nitpicky things that will get her "minus one half" ed in the Big Reinings.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    Agree...she's a long way from beating our top non-pros, too.

She HAS come a long way, though. I see her biggest fault being she just can't let go. A top horse will do all those moves on a loose rein. She has a hold of that horse most of the time. And, use the corners to build your speed gradually for the runs. She comes out of the corner and guns it.

Nice horse...very patient with her mistakes.

And what is it with the black boots on the horse? Is it to match her outfit? I realize you want to show off the horse's legs in the spins, (or not) but that just looks bad. White would look better.

Okay, I'm just being snarky.

She's pretty good! I wonder if she bought a made reining horse of if she did some of the training herself?
    No question that this is a made horse who is schooled a LOT by a pro reiner. A LOT.

Don't get your panties in a wad, and I admire her for trying a new sport and all but if this wasn't Anky, would any of you seriously think this was a ride worth taking to the WORLD Equestrian Games? I'll have more respect for her if she doesn't.

Every step that horse took backwards is points off. Which he did in almost ever, if not every maneuver at the halt. Tail flicks in the changes? Points. The horse doing the second change early because he knew it was coming? Points. The choppy changes from fast to slow lope.Points. I could go on, but it really doesn't matter.

I think it's great that she's doing new stuff. Must be fun to play around with something new, but having seen the big names who should be at the WEG?

I really that she could go, if she wins, to rep[resent her country, but to me it would sort of be an "Eddy the Eagle" thing from the Olympics a few years back. Don't go just because you CAN. (Not saying that she is going, to my knowledge.)

Excuse yourself gracefully and then go when you are REALLY ready for it and kick everyone's butt, if you can..

NJR

Well, at least THAT horse knows how to halt.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

loff it. I must admit I have a weakness for freestyle reining...

Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    Don't get your panties in a wad, and I admire her for trying a new sport and all but if this wasn't Anky, would any of you seriously think this was a ride worth taking to the WORLD Equestrian Games? I'll have more respect for her if she doesn't.
    I don't know if the judging for WEG is somehow different than what I'm used to for reining... but I certainly don't think she seems ready to be competitive there.

However, as it's a growing discipline there, and not huge with an international scene yet - I don't begrudge the countries who have no chance in dressage from competing just for the sake of being there, so wouldn't begrudge anyone for doing the same in reining. Just because the US has the most history of it - I think if other countries start getting the international experience, given the horsemanship known in other countries, they can quickly compete. Hopefully they'll have horses who aren't broken down by competing too young and make older, experienced horses more worth having in the eyes of the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    And what is it with the black boots on the horse? Is it to match her outfit? I realize you want to show off the horse's legs in the spins, (or not) but that just looks bad. White would look better.

Okay, I'm just being snarky.
    Probably a sponsor. I'd use 'em , too.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Well, at least THAT horse knows how to halt.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.