The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oat and rice allergy...help!

Just found out my horse is allergic to oats and rice. Oh joy. He will be starting allergy shots as soon as I get them from the vet, but in the meantime...are there ANY feeds without these two things?? He is on Buckeye Trifecta now, so I need something comparable...high fat/high fiber with around 12% protein.

Suggestions???? Thanks!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

How about Barley, Beet Pulp, BOSS, Flax, Alfalfa pellets & oil?

That's the easiest fix I can see.

I don't think you're going to find a processed feed that is without... well, let's put it this way, I've been looking for soy free/falf free, and can't find any...

If you need someone to do the math for you to get to 12% protein, (i.e. how much of each ingredient) lemme know. I've spent the last week of worknights playing with a spreadsheet that does the math... and I actually have a handle on it.

OR, the NRC calculator will do it too--it has all of the above on it.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Finding one without oats shouldn't be too hard, the rice bran part is what is hard and still have a high fat grain. You may need to supplement with oil or something like cool calories.

TC lite has no oats or rice bran, but is lower in fat.
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/feeds/lite-formula

Since you're already feeding a Buckeye product, I think it's worth mentioning Buckeye Gro N Win has no oats or rice listed in the ingredients. If your horse needs additional calories, you could add in alfalfa pellets or oil or beet pulp.

For what it's worth, if it were me and my horse dealing with an allergy, I'd skip the commercial feed mixes and stick with unprocessed grains. I only say this because you can't always trust the feed tag. Ingredients could be derrived from an unlisted oat/rice based source or processed with oats/rice or the formula could change without warning.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

My horse is allergic to corn, oats, barley, timothy, orchard.....

The list of not allergic to is shorter - beet, alfalfa, rice bran, wheat, molasses, flax, soy. I have to check all supplements as well for offending food stuffs.

He gets no commercially prepared concentrate because they sometimes do change formulations and don't tell you. LMF Low Carb Stage 1 used to list alfalfa forage, now it lists forage products, he is no longer eating that. Just alfalfa cubes, beet pulp, and flax.

Pfffft- I wish my horse was only allergic to those.

I just had him tested for allergys and the following is what he is allergic to:

every kind of tree
    every kind of grass
    wheat, oats, rye, bran, barley, rice, corn,flax
    mouse dander

and cats!

my vet jokes with me and says that I have to keep him in a dry lot away from trees, feed him hay without and grass in it, grain without any grain in it, get rid of my barn cats but don't let any mice in.

I said "what does that mean?" She said " that means he gets allergy shots."

We are are on the 4th dose. So far, nothing but I didn't expect to see results yet.

Good luck!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Don't forget too that allergies seem to multiply exponentially...

If you find the WORST allergy and can deal with it, often lesser ones go away.

The problem is when the body is fighting off the big one, all the little ones bother too.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by QM2 View Post
    Pfffft- I wish my horse was only allergic to those.

I just had him tested for allergys and the following is what he is allergic to:

every kind of tree
    every kind of grass
    wheat, oats, rye, bran, barley, rice, corn,flax
    mouse dander

and cats!

my vet jokes with me and says that I have to keep him in a dry lot away from trees, feed him hay without and grass in it, grain without any grain in it, get rid of my barn cats but don't let any mice in.

I said "what does that mean?" She said " that means he gets allergy shots."

We are are on the 4th dose. So far, nothing but I didn't expect to see results yet.

Good luck!
    My horse's allergy shots take two separate vials, he is allergic to 22 different things not including food, since you can't give shots for food, just remove it from the diet.

We are on year two of maintenance shots. He stared the desensitization shots in 2008.

Default allergy

Going on one year with my horse coming up with allergies to a laundry list of things. He is on his maintenance dose of two vials of allergy shots and seems to be doing ok. The diet that he is on is beet pulp, groats, spiruluna, msm, MV and pure alfalfa hay that is soaked. This year seems to be better than last, no running nose, coughing etc....at least for now I will intermittently use hydroxzyine, benadryl, and/or antihist when he is having a hard time.