The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Introducing the new pony - Thoughts & Suggestions?

Even though after 4-1/2 months my new guy seems fine by himself, I feel he'd benefit from another equine on the farm.

Through my farrier I have a lead on a free pony.
    Hackney that failed his hitch-to-cart test, but as I just want a companion that makes no nevermind to me.
    I met pony in February and aside from needing some groceries he seems like a good candidate.
    8yo gelding, about 12h, decent manners for one with little handling (as evidenced by Rasta mane) and quite a nice mover in a non-Roadster kind of way.

I wanted to wait until the weather improved before bringing pony here to introduce to my new guy.

Here's my plan:
    *Bring pony directly to my small pasture that adjoins the sacrifice area which connects the barn to the other, larger pasture.
    Horses can then introduce themselves with a fence bertween them.
    Fencing is coated tensile wire with a top PVC rail so no injury should result from any posturing {she says hopefully...}.
    *Provide hay & water in the pasture, if weather remains decent pony can live outside in the pasture until I feel confident they will get along
    *If weather turns ugly I will stall both at night and return pony to small pasture during the day - weather permitting - or the indoor if it's nasty. My horse goes in & out when he wants now & as I work I need to make sure he won't keep pony from a stall when I'm not there.

If they seem to be getting along I will turn pony into the sacrifice area along with my horse and both can adapt to my turnout schedule which is 24/7/365 free access to stalls & both pastures.

Thoughts?
    Suggestions?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

You certainly have planned out the introduction very thoroughly. I think all will be well. Sometimes even when they don't seem to be time will help. We got a horse to add to our old boy after his best friend went on. At first the old horse wouldn't let the new horse approach within a hundred feet - he'd run him off. I'm not sure if he got tired of running him off or the new horse started to grow on him, but after a month or so they were hanging together. Good luck - it's fun having more than one.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Thanks, prudence
    I generally plan ahead and play out scenarios in my head before testing them on the horses.

This is the first time I've had just one horse on my farm and I feel sorry for him even if he doesn't seem to give a hoot.

Pony needs "rescue" as he can't go out in a group where he is now - it's all mares and they beat him up.

My guy could benefit from some equine friendship.

I'm used to seeing my guys hanging together & miss that.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009