The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

burdfour Guest

Default Questions about Stubben saddles

I am primarily a stock seat rider, but my daughter has asked to take english (HS) lessons, so I am looking for a good quality starter saddle, preferably used. I want her to have a good quality saddle, so that she does not have to fight the saddle to learn to ride english correctly. Stubben has always been my dream saddle, so I took this opportunity to look on ebay for some, and now I am really confused.

I have looked on ebay, and I have found three models that seem to meet my needs: the Seigfried, which is what I thought I wanted, and now I have seen a Tristan, and a Sattler, all of which look like about the quality and type I am looking for. Once I learn more, then I will look for some that should fit my daughter and her horse, that is not my question.

Can somebody give me a quick overview of those three models, and tell me if I should worry if the seller says the saddle was made in Switzerland or Ireland rather than Germany?

I know western saddles, but want to learn more about hunt seat saddles. When I rode HS a hundred years ago, I rode some Argentina maker who was reportedly a Stubben knockoff, but I can't remember the name. It was a good saddle though.

Other recommendations are welcome. I am looking at used saddles in roughly the $200 dollar price range, I am finding several (very) used Stubbens in that price range, that I think would be suitable with some TLC.

TIA
    Last edited by burdfour; Apr. 21, 2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: WOW..... thanks for so many quick answers, you guys are super

I have always loved the Siegfried.

The German made would be the older ones. Used to be said that the Swiss made were inferior. I don't know for sure if that is true at present.

I sold a beautiful German made Siegfried last year and got a smaller size Swiss made. I compared the 2 side by side. I found the billets on the German made were of better quality, but still nothing wrong with the other. (the German made was VERY old but in almost new condition--must have been stored somewhere for years and not used)

Keep your eye out for a German made Siegfried that hasn't had everything on it replaced. It will last forever!

ETA I paid about $625 for the Swiss made about 18 months ago and $500 for the German made about 14 years ago. I think you can find them cheaper now.
    Last edited by Dispatcher; Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: more info

I'm not a big fan of stubben for hunt seat. You don't see them very frequently.

I've got more than one of them in my barn, but find them to be a bit of a hinderance for riding over jumps. If you're looking in that price range I'd go with a used Crosby Prix de Nations or flat Beval.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I started riding decades ago in a (Swiss made) Stubben Siegfried, and found it to be comfortable, secure, and confidence building. I could stick in that thing like glue. Back then, the Crosby Prix des Nations were all the rage...many of my friends rode in them. IMO, the security I started out with in my Stubben allowed me to be bolder to fences, and to progress faster in training. It held up beautifully, and never needed repair. Maybe if one's focus was more on the flat, the flatter saddles would be better...

I had a stubben Artus for a few years. It was their newest Hunterish model at the time. The have a new model thats even more huntery. That said, while it was comfy (to me at the time, I hadnt been spoiled by french saddles yet), it hindered my jumping a great deal. They do hold up forever, but are not common in the hunters anymore. I dont know about HS though. Another thing to look at withthe older models, are the pannels. They tend to get hard and lumpy and may need reflocking to be brought back to life, which as you know will add more to the resale value later on, but will cost you more, sending you over your $200 budget.
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Quote Originally Posted by selah View Post
    I started riding decades ago in a (Swiss made) Stubben Siegfried, and found it to be comfortable, secure, and confidence building. I could stick in that thing like glue. Back then, the Crosby Prix des Nations were all the rage...many of my friends rode in them. IMO, the security I started out with in my Stubben allowed me to be bolder to fences, and to progress faster in training. It held up beautifully, and never needed repair. Maybe if one's focus was more on the flat, the flatter saddles would be better...
    I agree that for a rider starting in the new discipline, Stubben would be a very good saddle.
    If and when that rider advances to the higher levels of competition, by then it will know what it wants, what is popular then and why.

Stubben is a good starter saddle and many go on with those saddles to the higher levels without a problem.

Stubbens are good quality lower level saddles that last FOREVER. My mom who is in her 60's still has her Stubben that she got when she was in her teens. Now I personally find it horribly uncomfortable, but I spoiled myself by purchasing an Antares
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Stubbens are good quality lower level saddles that last FOREVER. My mom who is in her 60's still has her Stubben that she got when she was in her teens. Now I personally find it horribly uncomfortable, but I spoiled myself by purchasing an Antares
    That riders are individuals and no two built alike is another consideration.
    Your daughter would be best served by trying several saddles before buying one, to see what type will feel just right.

I love the feel of Stubbens and Passiers, but Kiefers feel more like a bump on a log and some really flat, hunter type saddles I tried are worse than no saddle for me and I am used to a racing exercise saddle, that also works fine for me.

Have her try several, maybe take some lessons in them at the trainers and then decide what would be best for the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Yup, I'm only slightly younger than your mom, got my Siegfried at 17, now 40 years later it is gorgeous and in very good condition. Of course it was stored for about 30 of those years. I highly recommend them but have to say, once I bought my CWD I am spoiled also.

Still, I think its an excellent choice for a first saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Yup, I'm only slightly younger than your mom, got my Siegfried at 17, now 40 years later it is gorgeous and in very good condition. Of course it was stored for about 30 of those years. I highly recommend them but have to say, once I bought my CWD I am spoiled also.

Still, I think its an excellent choice for a first saddle.
    I got my Stubben Rex also 40 years ago, have been using it all these years, is my colt starting saddle and still use it now.
    Like the bunny, it keeps on keeping on.

Not sure if you want to go with a Stubben for HS, however, I do have a Stubben Roxane and absolutely LOVE it.
    What I will say is, Stubbens tend to be alittle slippery, leather wise, so I opted for the "deluxe" leather which is really quite grippy. It was an extra $500, but well worth the price.
    I have ridden in my new saddle for approx 20 hours and there is hardly any stirrup leather wear marks on it so far. I do wish I got the "biomex" option on the seat, but oh well, maybe next time.
    Best of luck in your saddle search.
    Have you looked into the Pessoa Baloubet? I really liked that saddle, and it is wool flocked, unlike most Beval models.

Also consider your horse -- especially if he is a wide QH. My Appendix has that wide QH back and big shoulder and Stubbens that I have tried simply don't fit him.

Love the Siegfried also. We ride QH eventing and have used them successfully.

I'm a huge fan of the Roxanne jumping, but not for starting out.

I like the Eldelweiss a lot.

I'm no on my second Antares, have an ancient Hermes, an older Beval Devon and a Zaldi... but almost everyone at my barn has a Stubben. I ride in them fairly often riding other people's horses and I really like them. My favorite is the Roxanne... which is what I had my Antares built like when I got it. (Deep, long, forward flap and biiig blocks)