The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I know the public hearing for the Salamander Resort and Spa in Middleburg was last night (9/19/05). Does anyone go?? Does anyone know how it went? Did it pass the planning commission?????

I drove by the property today... that's a large chunk of land and if it passes I don't think Middleburg will ever be the same....
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

I know the public hearing for the Salamander Resort and Spa in Middleburg was last night (9/19/05). Does anyone go?? Does anyone know how it went? Did it pass the planning commission?????

I drove by the property today... that's a large chunk of land and if it passes I don't think Middleburg will ever be the same....

It will change Middleburg, I guess it's what some people want.... http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    As far as I'm concerned this thing was a go before it was even announced. There has already been several ground breaking ceremonies.
    http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif

Kiss Middleburg goodbye. The ultimate nveau riche urbanite moved there and decided us hillbillies didn't belong there no more. Neither did foxhunting - though she likes the motif.

You should have read the article about her in the Post. What an ass.

I hope she goes bankrupt.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I'd be amazed if it didn't go through...she promised a new sewage plant, she'll throw tons of money around and people will worry about sounding racist if they say "NO!".

She knows what's best, just ask her. Pity though, her daughter seems like a nice kid, even though she can't ride worth squat, even with all the money mom's thrown at her training and mounts.

Bye bye Middleburg...wonder when the Coach Stop and Upper Crust will be replaced...they're way too provincial.

All these people who want to live in horse country, take their money, buy the land and then do their damndest to change everything or not allow hunting (e.g. Sandy Lerner).

Oh well.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

wow Trak - yet again...

Paige can ride - don't make it about her.

Back to the topic, interesting that this would be approved in Middleburg. I can see why this would change it.
    *Faune D'Helby*

Paige Johnson 'CANT RIDE worth squat'???

WOW, Trakehner, you must be REALLY good then...

Paige, Honey, I'd give my right eye to ride like you, Girl!!!!

I don't know or care about anything regarding the riding abilities of various family members - I just care about the future of Middleburg.

It behooves newcomers to adapt and become part of the local community - not move here and turn it into Fairfax County.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I did not see the Post article... when was that? Any clue how long ago??

I have not really watched Paige ride a lot... see more pics of her than anything. I'm sure money has helped her riding ability - it's much easier to look good on an expensive horse than a $5,000 special. However, she has to have some ability to even be able to go in the ring and hunt down to some of those fences. My hat's off to her.

I really hope the resort/spa does not pass as it will make Middleburg and the surrounding areas drastically change. It's amazing what you can do/get done when you have money. Very sad.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Swan:

It behooves newcomers to adapt and become part of the local community - not move here and turn it into Fairfax County. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't happen does it? The newcomers always think they can improve upon the lot of the poor people living in such backwardness. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif
    They just don't get that the residents like it the way it was.
    Same old sad sad sad sad story, move to the country for the view and the ambience and the quaint old stores and then want it changed to suit your personal needs....or pocketbook.
    Progress....bleah.

My family moved to Middleburg in 1969 so Dad could work at Foxcroft. He lived there until he passed away last March and my stepmother continues to live on our farm. As much as I loved growing up there, I hate going back - I can barely recognize the town. It's not the Middleburg I grew up in - it's some bastardized version of yuppieville.

I miss being able to find a parking space in front of the post office or the Coach Stop. I miss the old pharmacy and the Rummage Shop. I miss the Tack Box being on the corner of the intersection. Heck, I miss the blinking light! I have a hard time remembering it's a stop light now and that's been up for years.

I must really be getting old - I'm starting to miss the "good ole days"! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tackpud:
    I must really be getting old - I'm starting to miss the "good ole days"! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right there with you Tackpud - and don't forget the Loudoun horse show held at Glenwood race course. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I remember being able to hack from Catharpin to the Battlefield

I remember a dairy farm in Fairfax County

I remember being able to see the stars at night...
    -Rudyard Kipling

gothedistance - please do report on what your friend saw/heard if they went to the meeting.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gothedistance:
    Not having gone Foxcroft Road for a while ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For all the places I've been and lived in I must say that Foxcroft Road is one of the most lovely roads you can drive on - provided you aren't in a hurry http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif After reaching Foxcroft School reverse your drive and divert off onto Snake Hill Road, past Goodstone Farm and continue the twisting beauty of a narrow road. Glenwood is still active for it's best purpose - steeplechasing!

I digress ...

The Washington Post article cited I assume is the one with comparison of Mrs. Johnson's [I refuse to use "Dr" in reference to her] efforts to start commerce in the area vs. Sandy Lerner in Upperville: see Wash Post 6-22-05 "Two Starts and a Stir"

I haven't seen any feedback any Middleburg meeting this week in any of the local papers nor on the web site for the Future of Middleburg. I wouldn't expect the Middleburg Eccentric to say a single bad word when they finally do cover the vote http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trakehner:
    I'd be amazed if it didn't go through...she promised a new sewage plant, she'll throw tons of money around and people will worry about sounding racist if they say "NO!".

She knows what's best, just ask her. Pity though, her daughter seems like a nice kid, even though she can't ride worth squat, even with all the money mom's thrown at her training and mounts.

Bye bye Middleburg...wonder when the Coach Stop and Upper Crust will be replaced...they're way too provincial.

All these people who want to live in horse country, take their money, buy the land and then do their damndest to change everything or not allow hunting (e.g. Sandy Lerner).

Oh well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to hell. Who the heck are you, and you want to put your riding accomplishments on the table for all of us to critique?

I am a new resident to M-Burg..and am not there because I can afford it..I'm there because I found a nice, affordable basement apartment, and it cuts my "horsey travel commute" in half.

I do agree that Middleburg has become a very "fru-fru, elitest" community..and it's hard for the average joe to afford to live there.

Now, Mrs. Johnson has said that if the town grants her the permission to do this spa/resort thingy, she will in turn provide a new water treatment facility for the town, and for those of you who live there, the water treatment deal has been a huge issue.

Not to mention the taxes she will pay on the land and spa will equal something like 1/4 of Middleburgs yearly income (forgive me, but I cannot remember the exact numbers) Now, whether or not all this extra dough for the town will be a positive thing remains to be seen.

Trakehner, don't bother insulting someone like Paige..she's a good kid. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif

I noticed in the WIHS Local Day prize list there is an ad for Salamander Resort & Spa coming to Middleburg Summer 2007.

Oh, as someone who used to live in VA I am SO sorry to hear about this.

Moving to an area, PRESERVED by foxhunters, and then bragging on her "disdain for the tradition." Oh, yeah, Ms. Lerner's a real winner.

This quote is priceless:

"Middleburg is a funny place," says real estate agent Phillip S. Thomas, whose firm, Thomas & Talbot, handled the sales of Ayrshire Farm to Lerner and Salamander Farm to Johnson. "People here don't take well to having things shoved down their throats."

No s***, Sherlock.

I'm very, very sorry to see Middleburg down the tubes.

I haven't been following the development issues in Loudoun County too terribly closely, so perhaps someone can help me out. For all of you complaining that it's the newcomers ruining Loudoun and turning it into Fairfax, what's your take on the county government's approach to development? It's my understanding that if the county doesn't want to turn into another over-developed suburban nightmare, it can refuse to zone for certain kinds of development. From what I've seen out there lately, the county seems to have no interest in curbing growth.

Again, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the loss of open space is less of a one person issue and more of a county-wide, governmental issue. I realize it's easier to blame one person than it is to take on the developer/politican juggernaut (going after a man instead of The Man), though. I'm just not sure how Mrs. Johnson will manage single-handedly to destroy All That is Good About Middleburg.