The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Magnesium supplement

Hi All

Just wondering how many have treind a magnesium supplement for loosening your horse's back? What source did you use, quiessence, smart calm, epsom salt, etc? How well did it work? Thanks for your replies.

I have two horses that are "muscle bound" and tight and sensitive over their toplines. One is so much so that he objects to grooming and sweat scrapers over his mid-back, even when there is no actual muscle soreness (like when he is not in work). We used Quiessence at the loading dose and it made huge improvements in both horses. We have very recently switched to a whole foods program and replaced the Quiessence with Optimum from Theracell EQ--this has magnesium in a whole food daily multivitamin. My first choice would be to use the Optimum, but the Quiessence works as well.

I use:

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-...ram/16379?at=0

4 tsp./day.

I haven't decided if it's helping... everything is so subjective!

I like the Magnesium 3,000 supplement from SmartPak. I actually feed the E-Se-Mag supplement from the same manufacturer because I need to supplement for Vitamin E and Selenium, in addition to Magnesium.

Default Of course I use Quiessence

But then I would would'nt I!

There are a LOT of horses on Quiessence for exactly that problem, and it seems to help them.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    I like the Magnesium 3,000 supplement from SmartPak.
    Smartpak just started carrying Magnesium 5,000. It's pelleted too!!

I have a QH mare who is just tight ALL OVER....When you pick up her front feet to clean or trim she tends to pull them into center, and it's really hard to keep her foot flat to trim, esp. on a stand.

My guys are IR so get Mag Ox twice a day, about a tablespoon It's not helped her situation at all, so I'm guessing it's not related to what you're talking about. Wish I knew why she's so body tight. Always has been (she's 8 and I've had her since she was 6 months).
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Default She might be EPSM/PSSM

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    I have a QH mare who is just tight ALL OVER....When you pick up her front feet to clean or trim she tends to pull them into center, and it's really hard to keep her foot flat to trim, esp. on a stand.

My guys are IR so get Mag Ox twice a day, about a tablespoon It's not helped her situation at all, so I'm guessing it's not related to what you're talking about. Wish I knew why she's so body tight. Always has been (she's 8 and I've had her since she was 6 months).
    Have you tried her on a low glycemic diet for a few weeks? See if that helps her.

Yours
    MW

Yes, they're on a full IR diet and muzzling, but she was like this before presenting with IR at age 5...always tight. and she's not Impressive related at all, so no HYPP in her lines.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    Yes, they're on a full IR diet and muzzling, but she was like this before presenting with IR at age 5...always tight. and she's not Impressive related at all, so no HYPP in her lines.
    Hmm, how much Mag Ox did you give her and for how long?

Have you done a CBC panel with a check for liver enzymes and blood magnesium titer?
    MW

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Alfalfa pellets are about 3gm magnesium per kilo (about 1500 mg per pound).
    Does anyone know how much of that is bio-available?

(Can't use Quiessence for one of my horses. She is allergic to corn. And of course, she HATES powders)
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Default 3gm is not much Mg

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    Alfalfa pellets are about 3gm magnesium per kilo (about 1500 mg per pound).
    Does anyone know how much of that is bio-available?

(Can't use Quiessence for one of my horses. She is allergic to corn. And of course, she HATES powders)
    Quiessence isn't a powder, it's pellets, but it does contain distillers grains which can be derived from corn, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Try plain old Mag Ox, it isn't very absorbable nor is it very palatable, but if you mix the powder with water to make a slurry you can mix it with feed or chopped hay. Or you could mix it with apple sauce that makes it palatable.
    MW

Mine's been eating MagOx in his grain for a couple of years, but recently started sifting it out of his (wet) feed--very clever. It makes concrete in the bottom of the feed pan, so this was unpopular with the barn owner.

So I switched him to Quiesscence, which he ate quite happily when it was coming out of the smaller containers from the local feed store. So I bought the $75 bucket... Then he just said "No. Not eating it, no way, no how."

Fortunately, BO's horses are not as fussy as he is, and are chomping their way through it quite happily. (Do you use a slightly different formulation for the larger size or something?)

So we are back on straight Mag Ox, just a lot less than we were. It's unfortunate, because I like the other stuff in the Quiesscence, but, if he's not going to eat it...

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Mine's been eating MagOx in his grain for a couple of years, but recently started sifting it out of his (wet) feed--very clever. It makes concrete in the bottom of the feed pan, so this was unpopular with the barn owner.

So I switched him to Quiesscence, which he ate quite happily when it was coming out of the smaller containers from the local feed store. So I bought the $75 bucket... Then he just said "No. Not eating it, no way, no how."

Fortunately, BO's horses are not as fussy as he is, and are chomping their way through it quite happily. (Do you use a slightly different formulation for the larger size or something?)

So we are back on straight Mag Ox, just a lot less than we were. It's unfortunate, because I like the other stuff in the Quiesscence, but, if he's not going to eat it...
    we don't change formulation at all, but the distillers grains are an organic material and vary in taste.
    Call the office and let us know and we'll send you a sample bag from another batch which may well taste differently and see if he will eat that.
    Then if he does we'll replace the stuff he won't eat with stuff he will eat.
    Call Foxden on 540-337-5450 and tell Meg or Jenny that you need a replacement bag to try.

We always offer to replace if horses won;t eat it.

YOurs
    MW

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Mine's been eating MagOx in his grain for a couple of years, but recently started sifting it out of his (wet) feed--very clever.
    I make all my feed bags up a week in advance so wet doesn't work :-( I had been using oil to get it to stick, but with the grass coming up and being half connemara, keeping on weight is hardly an issue :-) and i hate to add calories.

I've had some seriously strange cooking experiments trying to make magnesium cookies using oats, rice flour, tapioca flour, water and molasses. (She's allergic to wheat and corn.) I think using oil ends up being less calories than the cookies!

Oh yeah. And what is with all the manufacturers who make powdered supplements? Anybody can mix together a bunch of ingredients and sell it in a powder. But make it palatable,or in a pellet? THAT takes work
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I have been using epsom salts for my mare for 3 or 4 years now. I had used Quiessence before that, but it didn't help her at all. The epsom salts worked wonders.

The problem with feeding alfalfa for Mg is that its very high in Ca, and the body will absorb the Ca before the Mg. So by adding the extra Ca, you can essential make them Mg deficient, even though there is enough Mg present. Ca can cause tense muscles. My mare actually ties up mildly when she gets too much alfalfa. Which sucks since she's not an easy keeper, is super-picky about hay to the point where sometimes she just won't eat grass hay, and soy makes her insane.

The Nanny Pony gets Quiessence, she does better on it. My guess is the chromium. Everyone else gets Blue Seal MagOx and I have no palatability issues w/it.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I guess I should consider myself lucky...

My boy cleans his bowl and there is plenty of powder.. a powdered joint supplement and magnesium oxide.

I once made the mistake of putting ground up methocarbamol (muscle relaxer) in his supplement... he ate it once.. and then he wouldn't finish his grain (or ANY powder) for months. I tasted it afterwards...and oh my gosh! I don't blame him.. that is the nastiest, most bitter stuff...

So.. before I added magnesium oxide to his supplement, I tasted it first... it is absolutely tasteless.. and, knock on wood, it hasn't been a problem...

1/4 cup then work up to 1/2 cup Epsom salts daily. Mixed in well with Triple Crown Complete, they hoover it up.

I used the SmartCalm Ultra- it was the only powdered one the princess mare would eat.

It worked quite well at helping her back muscles to relax, but it took at least 6 weeks IIRC. However, her tense muscles were due to a tying-up problem and the Mg was one part of all the feed/exercise/turnout changes the vet recommended to address that.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~