The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What color tack for a blue black horse?

Here's my new horse: http://rivermeadowstallions.com/Kris.html
    Scroll down to Kris for his head shot: http://rivermeadowstallions.com/stallions.html

Not the greatest pics of him but at least you can see his color. It's even bluer in person

BO and I are in a loving dispute about what color tack you put on a blue black horse. I said black she says red ( guess in tack speak it would be called Havana? ).

I say black because I'll be eventing him (when we get ourselves trained a bit more) and it just looks classic, like a nice tuxedo. This way the tack doesn't overwhelm and distract from the horse's beauty. And, I say, all of my current tack, Dressage and Jumping is already black, so less money for me to spend. I can have little extras to make his stuff stand out- flashy browbands, nice colored or embroidered saddle pads, etc

She says red because the black will make it pop and look cool in the showring. I say she's just trying to get me to buy her Stubben tack, which is conveniently that red Havana whatever colored, and she is a Stubben distributor/dealer and she just wants me to buy new tack for my new horse so she can have an excuse to go tack shopping. (In fact, she uses me as her excuse to her husband all of the time: "Rachell needs an indoor, Rachell needs a new 3 step mounting block, Rachell needs new stall doors." She's lucky I love her!)

So fellow COTHers what is the general consensus here: black or red? (Please say black please say black please say black....)

Black I've seen the havana on blacks in HUS pictures and just don't like it at all. Can't go wrong with black and white. Although I agree that red, as in YOUR clothing or saddle pad, would look smashing on such a black horse. Just not the leather

2nd vote for black

3rd vote for black. Nice looking fellow!

Yep, Black. I like a bright white pad and for dressage, white pads on the noseband and browband. Red's for the circus.

Now a great fancy cooler to put on your boy can really "Pop" his color out there. Bright shipping boots can really show him off when he's just standing around or arriving...I like a classic simple black and white when competing. No bling.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Make it a third vote for black.

Black. Either white saddle pad or a black with white or silver trim.

I actually like royal blue, rather then red for light trim. Red just isn't my thing.

Here is my four year old black boy at his first riding class recently -ignore that fact that we shaved him, so what you are seeing is his winter undercoat. He will be pure black again in a week or two when he sheds that out. Look at the saddle blanket -I love that style on a black horse.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTdEK4G_SQc
    (quality isn't great -I was distracted when filming -so I was working with limited material for the video -although I love the little side pass Robert got him to do at 2:00)
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Black. With white trim.

Black!
    Five Star Tack

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    3rd vote for black. Nice looking fellow!
    Thanks! He is very striking to look at in person. These pics don't aptly show off his head, which is very large boned and different from typical TBs. He has a look about him that makes you stop and wonder what it is about him because there is something. He's from the Man O War line and I knew he was a heavy boned horse. Kris is just one of those double-take horse- you gotta look twice

glad everyone agreed with me. can't wait to rub it in her face! LOL

BTW CeilioAzure, I remember you from Draft Horse Resource- your drafties are always so beautiful. Congrats on your boys' great win- first show and blues. Good job!

Since he's a dark bay and not a true black, I would go with a very dark brown bridle. Like the color you get from well conditioned leather

Definitely not reddish brown. If you intend to do dressage or event him, get black tack. If you intend to do any H/J stuff with him, go for that darkest oiled brown (which takes work because tack doesn't come that color)- but pick something that doesn't have red in it.

Black, electric dark blue or red I think all look great...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Default Hay

One more suggestion. While I know this is western, go to http://www.hobbyhorseinc.com/09_dres...rs/index.shtml.

She has some color suggestions for black horses, such as Merlot as a second color on blankets, etc. Her color wheel might give you some color suggestions that you weren't thinking of for blankets, etc.

I know her regular catalog goes more into the color, the web site is a start. Just a thought for a tiny hint of color to be a little unpredictable from all the others.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook