The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Step by step shipping to Canada -- do I have this right?

I need to ship (fresh cooled) semen to Canada, and I've been reading old threads, and Kathy's site to try and get a handle on what I need to do.

Is the following correct?

1. First the Canadian mare owner needs to get a permit
    2. Then my vet needs to fill out the Zoosanitary certificate
    3. Zoosanitary is then sent to the USDA (by Fedex?) at the same time semen is shipped with copies of paperwork
    4. Semen arrives in Canada
    5. USDA faxes signed off Zoosanitary certificate to Canada and semen is released to mare owner

I just want to make sure that I am 100% on what all needs to occur before I leap into it with both feet!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    I need to ship (fresh cooled) semen to Canada, and I've been reading old threads, and Kathy's site to try and get a handle on what I need to do.

Is the following correct?

1. First the Canadian mare owner needs to get a permit
    2. Then my vet needs to fill out the Zoosanitary certificate
    3. Zoosanitary is then sent to the USDA (by Fedex?) at the same time semen is shipped with copies of paperwork
    4. Semen arrives in Canada
    5. USDA faxes signed off Zoosanitary certificate to Canada and semen is released to mare owner
    You've got the first two correct, but you have make sure Zoosanitary certificate to USDA to get it endorsed. If you FedEx it, it won't arrive until the next day and you stand the very real possibility of it not being endorsed by the time it's needed for clearance in Canada. Not a risk I'd be willing to take. See below from our website:

CFIA has - with immediate implementation - made an optional adjustment in that if desired the semen may now be shipped with a copy of the Zoosanitary Certificate unendorsed by USDA, provided that the certificate is endorsed by USDA prior to the semen arriving at the border and being presented for clearance. Upon receipt, USDA will endorse the certificate, and fax a copy of it to one of the applicable CFIA Import Service Centres ("ISC"). When the semen arrives at the import point, CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) personnel will refer the importation clearance to the applicable ISC, who will then review their faxed permit file and issue an order for the release of the semen as long as they have had a copy of the applicable Zoosanitary Certificate faxed to them by USDA. There is a Cdn$35 charge for CFIA clearing semen in this manner.

You still need to make sure that Zoosanitary Certificate is endorsed in time for it to be faxed to Canada, but the new protocol allows for you to at least get the semen shipped off and eases some of the time constraints of getting the proper paperwork in time.

Hope that helps!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Thanks for clarifying that, Kathy.

So, in a perfect world, I would send it, already endorsed, with the semen -- correct?

In a not-quite-perfect world, I would ship the semen and drive the Zoosanitary to the USDA vet and then fax it over PRIOR to the semen arriving in Canada the next day?
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com

I think this website has the best and easiest information on shipping to Canada.
    http://www.yourandalusianfoundation....news&Itemid=77
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Great link, Jill! THANKS!

Looks like that resource is linking to all of the www.equine-reproduction.com (Kathy's) resources. Shame on them for not at least using their own bandwidth to access the documents or sending browsers to the actual .gov page.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    I think this website has the best and easiest information on shipping to Canada.
    http://www.yourandalusianfoundation....news&Itemid=77
    Thanks for pointing that link out to us, Jill . The link you provided was actually for the article that has been stolen from our website. The owners of the website have been contacted with regards to that as the articles on our website "are" copyright protected.

Quote Originally Posted by showjumpers66 View Post
    Looks like that resource is linking to all of the www.equine-reproduction.com (Kathy's) resources. Shame on them for not at least using their own bandwidth to access the documents or sending browsers to the actual .gov page.
    Actually it "is" our article, Barbara. And no worries. They have been contacted. But thanks for being indignant on our behalf !

We are more than happy to provide articles to individuals that use them, but appropriate identification of authorship as well as source, e.g., identification of our website as to where the information was obtained, is required. Simply stealing the information is inappropriate, at best , and the fact that it is a breed registry doing it is even more inexcusable!
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Apr. 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Just wanted to provide an update for all of you who were asking for experiences with shipping semen to Canada this year. I haven't tried yet myself, due to my mare's recent rectal tear, but the barn owner where I keep her tried last week. Despite having all of her paperwork in order, the semen got held up in customs for 12 hours, and the mare's cycle was missed. This semen was coming from Edgar, so I'm sure everything was done properly on his end. Total bummer. I probably will be trying myself next month, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Bummer Forte. That stinks.

I'm doing this for the first time ever this year...both frozen and fresh...shipping to Ontario and then Alberta. Thank God Kathy can help me with the frozen as she and Jos store it for me...or I'd be a basket case. Later this summer, another breeder in Alberta wants to breed to my other stallion with fresh cooled...and I'll be on my own for that one.

This thread is very timely. A big help.

I hope OP doesn't mind me tagging this in on the end of her thread. Here's the scenario;

Fresh semen from 2 stallions both standing at the same farm in the US will be shipped to cover 3 mares in Canada. 2 multiple entry permits will be applied for, one per stallion. The semen from the 2 stallions may or may not be required at the same time hence the 2 permits itemizing how many recepticles of semen per entry shipment. Fax both permits to stallion owner and keep originals in case required to show at border crossing.

Is this correct procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverbarley View Post
    I hope OP doesn't mind me tagging this in on the end of her thread. Here's the scenario;

Fresh semen from 2 stallions both standing at the same farm in the US will be shipped to cover 3 mares in Canada. 2 multiple entry permits will be applied for, one per stallion. The semen from the 2 stallions may or may not be required at the same time hence the 2 permits itemizing how many recepticles of semen per entry shipment. Fax both permits to stallion owner and keep originals in case required to show at border crossing.

Is this correct procedure?
    Yes, you have it correct. With the multiple entry permits, the original does not need to accompany the shipment, so you can fax or email a copy of it to the stallion owner. If you are using a single use permit, the ORIGINAL must accompany the shipment. As the multiple use permit isn't that much more expensive and you don't know if the mare will conceive on one shipment, we recommend spending the extra money and getting the multiple use permit.

On another note, the registry that has the above linked article was contacted yesterday. After discussing the whole thing with them, they will be editing the page and adding the appropriate identification and authorship. One of the reasons that we require that articles such as this one "do" link back to us and identify us is that information changes! We keep the information updated on our website and if someone has one of our articles up on their website, it may very well be outdated so someone may very well be getting information that isn't accurate.

Hope that helps!

So FedExing the Zoosanitary certificate to the USDA would work for shipments to Nova Scotia since they don't have overnight?

Sure would be nice if they could be faxed both to the USDA AND to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    So FedExing the Zoosanitary certificate to the USDA would work for shipments to Nova Scotia since they don't have overnight?
    Should work, but no guarantees on anything <lol>.

We have updated the information on shipping to Canada on our website and moved it to the articles so that it's a bit easier to find. Hopefully it will help those that are attempting to ship to Canada this year. Here's the link to the article: http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...o-Canada.shtml

Good luck everyone <smile>! Thankfully, we shipped several clients stallions' frozen semen up to Canada for distribution throughout the breeding season in the hopes of avoiding any problems during the breeding season. So far it's worked very well and saved a few headaches in dealing with USDA and CFIA!