The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Acne and the Barn

Every summer my face breaks out. The sweat combines with the barn dirt and this combination remains on my face all day long, which causes the breakout.

Does anyone deal with a similar problem? Clearly, its not an option to get less dirty. So what do you do about it? Any tips/tricks/solutions?

Wash your face (just rinse it, not soap) as often as possible. Not only does that feel great on a summer's day, but it will help get rid of the dirt and sweat, if only for a little while!

Otherwise, Benzoyl Peroxide at night...

I just have crummy skin in general so I have to be diligent about washing every morning and evening, and applying some sort of acne fighter. I'm currently using an exfoliator and retin A. But if you want something in between, I would recommend witch hazel. Cheap to buy, just swipe some over your face with a cotton ball during the day. Then maybe apply a little of salyclic acid on the parts that break out the most, and make sure to wash your face when you get back from the barn.

ETA: good point about the different skin types, for reference I have oily skin, not sensitive at all and my main breakouts are on my forehead and chin area. Take my advice as you will. It may also benefit to visit a good esthetician or derm.

Do a search and you'll find MANY different responses, from MANY different people with different skins types, on this very same subject. What works for some is hell on others' skin (like the above post, yikes not good for me). Heck, I learned a new trick of putting anti-perspirant on my forehead.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Do a search and you'll find MANY different responses, from MANY different people with different skins types, on this very same subject. What works for some is hell on others' skin (like the above post, yikes not good for me). Heck, I learned a new trick of putting anti-perspirant on my forehead.
    It's a good point, different skin types will have totally different responses! My skin is sensitive and turns red quite easily, and is quite oily in the T-zone area and for some reason the outermost part of my cheekbones. For that reason I wouldn't wash with soap more than 2x a day if I could help it (morning then PM) or it will dry out amazingly quickly. I've been seeing a derm and Retin-A made my skin shriek in terror (the Benzoyl Peroxide too, so I only use it on problem areas). My derm gave me antibiotics which are helping a lot too. However my skin is a problem year-round, not just in summer

Also make sure you're using a non-comedogenic(sp) moisturizer. Gah, TheJenners' trick of using antiperspirant on the forehead (while clever) would cause immediate acne :P

hey girls ! dont forget that some acne products will have HARSH reactions to the sun and cause major damage. retin A for one and someone mentioned another. OP if your face is breaking out over the summer best to get a good gentle scrub and good cleanser.

Clearly, you need to keep your face clean.

Use a soap like Cetaphyl throughout the day, and an acne-fighting soap in the morning and evening, with salacytic acid. This will work on sensitive skin as well as skin that might dry out.

Don't use a washrag, use your clean hands. Or use a fresh washrag each time.

Keep your hair clean, dont touch your face, keep your helmet clean, anything that touches your face must be clean.

Use a oil free moisturizer that won't cause breakouts if you're going to be washing your face a lot.

salyclic acid is the other agent you need to be careful with in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    salyclic acid is the other agent you need to be careful with in the sun.
    Yes. Everyone should be wearing sunscreen, no matter their skin-type. Just remember to reapply it after each wash. There are some good lotions for acne-prone skin that contain sunscreen. I like Nutrogena. I'm acne-prone and it works well for me.

Baby wipe type cleanser thingoes?

Buy some waterless skin wipes that you can use in the afternoon to get the dirt off. Something like this looks good- http://www.drugstore.com/qxp240131_3...sing_wipes.htm

Quote Originally Posted by raff View Post
    Baby wipe type cleanser thingoes?
    That is what I use, baby wipes!
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by CamdenLab View Post
    Keep your hair clean, dont touch your face, keep your helmet clean...
    This works best for me (not that I'm at the acne age of life, but it can still be a problem sometimes).

Nothing helps a breakout along more than dragging and rubbing fingers around your face all day. Do your hair in a way so you don't have to constantly push it back off your face (if that's a problem), because that will lead to touching, rubbing and scratching at your face when the hair tickles it. And a disgusting sweaty band inside your helmet is going to irritate your forehead. Get some of those helmet liners (or use pantyliners) to keep the gross old sweat off your skin, too.

Default Loesch labs in texas

makes a great antibacterial face soap. VERY gentle and very inexpensive. They also make an astringent and a nice little exfoliating gel. All products are very reasonably priced. You have to shop by mail though as they do not have their items in stores. I can't fhttp://www.loeschlab.com/ind anything over the counter that works nearly as well. Good Luck!
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

This may sound really weird, but I had to wear make-up to stop the breakouts. When I was a teenager I worked in the hayfield. Dirt/sweat/grime/grease/sun, you name it, it was on me. I tried all the above, well, except for the antiperspirant on the forehead (interesting idea though!) and my face was one huge breakout. I ended up wearing make-up. Just a simple base, and it stopped the breakouts. My working hypothesis is that it acted like a barrier and protected my skin from everything else. But regardless of the reason, it's the only thing that worked for me.

You're going to think I'm crazy, but a lot of people swear by Octagon Soap. 99 cents per bar. Read all about it:
    http://terismessageboard.thegroceryg...d.php?t=143160
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

It looks like they are talking about a laundry bar, and not the liquid I am used to seeing here in the grocer's. Here is a link to order what they were talking about on that forum

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/Octagon_Soap_p/cp1001.htm
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Well, after years and years (teens through last year - I was 41) of battling oily skin, I finally said "to heck with it!" and went on a 9-month course of isotretinoin (Accutane, though that specific brand name is no longer manufactured).
    Wow. I wish I had done this 20 years ago. You kind of have to jump through hoops to get it, especially if you are female and fertile (causes severe birth defects if taken during pregnancy), but it is SO worth it. It shrinks and dries up the oil glands; oil is what the acne bacteria feed on, so you are in effect starving them. Results are long-lasting, often permanent.
    I never broke out all that much, but when you are 40, any zit is one zit too many. It was the grease factor that drove me nuts.

As with other drugs, you must be extremely careful about sun exposure. It also really dries out your lips and the mucous membranes in your nose, so chap stick and petroleum jelly will become your best friends.

Not for everyone, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I'm going to give the opposite opniion of Accutane. (No disrespect, but I had a very different experience with the drug.) Just to give the other side, I took Accutane 15+ years ago and wish I never had. (My brother also took it and says the same thing.) The side effects can be really, truly awful. I strongly suggest ANYONE who is even considering taking this drug do some research yourself first and ask your doctor LOTS of questions about the physical and psychological side effects. In addition to the long list of frequent physical side effects (which can be unpleasant at best and severe), it has been linked to depression, psychosis, and suicidal tendencies -- and while those are VERY RARE, I will tell you that I had horrible mood swings on Accutane and never felt like myself on it. My brother had even more severe reactions to it, which continued after he stopped taking it. (Even the manufacturer of Accutane acknowledges that the psychological side effects of Accutane can continue after the patient stops takeing the drug and it's been my experience that some of the physical side effects of Accutane also continue after you stop taking it.)

Of course, there are some scientists who think the link between Accutane and depression/psychosis is too difficult to prove, but it is still ranks highly (top 5 to 10 drugs) on the FDA's Adverse Event Reporting System for depression and suicide. That said, I also know other people who did just fine on it. Still, it's NOT a risk I'd ever recommend someone take. I felt awful on the drug, physically and mentally. While most drugs come with a laundry list of possible side effects, the side effects of Accutane tend to be frequent and can be pretty severe.

You also absolutely cannot get pregnant while on Accutane, as it causes severe birth defects.

I was part of a long-term study on the effects of Accutane on women, too... If you have questions about it, feel free to PM me. I will state, though, that I am open about the fact that I think it's an awful drug and that I think it is over-prescribed. I do know people who had great results from it, though.

To answer the OP's original question, though, taking time every couple of hours to either wash off your face or wipe it off with something gentle (even a wet paper towel) should help remove the oil and prevent breakouts. Also make sure you are wearing an oil-free sunscreen. I have fair and very sensitive skin, and I find the Neutrogena sunscreens to be really effective without making me break out.

Make sure you wash the liner of your helmet regularly, if you have a removeable liner. Also, you can put disposable liners in the front of your helmet and toss it after every ride. It helps absorb the sweat and oil in your forehead. (Hint - it's cheaper to use panty liners than the liners sold for helmets.)

I had to chime in again because of the comments about Accutane. Use it as a last resort because of the mentioned side effects. They can be brutal, add to that you have to get blood tests every month you're on it (or at least I did). That said, I had great results with it, for about 5 years after finishing and when I was on it the only side effect I suffered was slightly drier skin, and I had to make sure I had chapstick at all times. However, once I hit my mid twenties and hormones or something changed, the acne came back. So...I don't know if I would do it again because it is so severe.

So since your acne seems seasonal I would definitely try some of the above suggestions first.

Also, one thing that has really helped my skin (again I'm super oily so if you have dry skin this may not work for you) was to stop using any type of lotion on my face. Adding lotion to the mix just made things worse. Also, if you do wear make up to the barn I highly recommend some form of mineral makeup. I personally like Bareminerals, all natural and provides some sunscreen.