The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default new Ventech Elite boots vs. SMB Elite?

I have a set of front SMB Elites that need replacing (starting to get a little deformed), and I noticed Prof Choice has a new boot, the VenTech Elite. I know the Ventechs are supposed to allow for more "breathability", but does anyone know if they fit the same as the SMB Elites? I really hated the fit of the other SMB boots (the ones that came out before the Elites).
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I don't know either, and my VenTECH thread got no responses.

I was hoping someone who already uses SMB would reply with how they feel the new ones compare. But no one has! Wish I could help, but I was hoping to read the responses and decide whether or not I want to try these.

I have the Classic Equine Legacy boots, they have the little 'pin hole vents' like the new Pro Choice Ventech ones. I do think they keep the legs a little cooler, but I am comparing them to the Pro Choice SMB II's- and those are thick and heavy. The legs still get sweaty, but not as much as they did when I had the SMB's.

I just bought both a pair of the "old" Elites and a pair of the new VenTech version. Why, you may ask? Because, in the usual "horses are constantly plotting against our pocketbooks" way of things, I had just ordered the new VenTech version online (Valley Vet has a good price on them), when the next day my guy decided to destroy his old existing pair of SMBs so I needed an immediate replacement set and found the older Elites at the nearby western tack store -- for more, of course, than I paid for the VenTechs.

I haven't had a chance to try the VenTech version on him yet, but just looking at them side by side, the VenTech version looks the same as the regular Elites, except for the holes in the neoprine. The neoprine on the inside has small holes in it, not pinholes but instead about 1/8th of an inch each, and then is covered by a breathable mesh fabric. But other than that, they look the same. In fact, the exterior badges and interior markings both just say "Professional's Choice Elite." I think they've just "upgraded" the old Elites with the "new technology" -- if you can call putting holes in neoprine new technology

That said, I do really think it is an improvement to have the at least relatively "breathable" neoprene. Regular neoprine is not a great idea here in Southeast Texas in the summertime.

If I find there are any differences in the fit, I'll try to remember to post about it.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Thanks for the description Portia! I appreciate it. I'll wait for your updates!