The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free to Good Home in NC/SC area, light riding

Incredibly handsome 8 yr old 16.1hh chestnut QH gelding free to good home with references. He is in the Charlotte NC area and I will haul him up to a three hour radius to his prospective new home. He has been well schooled in both english/western riding.

Noble injured the meniscus in his stifle 1yr ago and has been out to pasture to rehab it since. He has made no further progress and after the most recent vet examination he is considered to be light riding/light trail horse sound.

He is a sweet boy, really bonds to his human, and will work best with a confident intermediate(advanced beginner) rider. He is great on the trails with/without a buddy, hauls like a dream, clips, ties. Is currently barefoot but would need shoes for really rocky footing.

Would make a wonderful husband horse!

I'm looking for a husband/light riding horse for my SO and possible an advanced beginner 7 yr old to do walk-trot (feel like she has her own horse). I'm in Clemson SC, moving to new barn and need a buddy for my show gelding, another QH, and possibly a rescue. Will have long term home and willing to sign contracts. Please tell me more about his riding limitations (SO wants to trail ride up to 1 hr) and what makes him intermediate capable (strong, quick?)
    Zippos Kryptonite (Reno) 05' AQHA
    Little Miss Understood (Indy) 01' Appaloosa
    The Unturned Stone (Chase) 11' AQHA
    ~ Rescue Mom to: Hope, Ciara, Charlotte, Ace, Knox

Sounds Great! He should be able to handle hour long trail rides/weekend riding and basic walk/trot stuff throughout the week.

He is usually a steady eddy sort of boy but will occasionally find some things a bit scary... ie.. plastic bags flying by, drinks with ice clinking in it, removing a loud crinkly jacket while on his back are his biggest boogies.... but, when he does get startled he will usually do a stutter step and side-step away from said offending object. He does not have a buck or spin in him.

He is very eager to please and to be loved on (he loves head hugs and muzzle kisses).

I believe he would be happiest with a rider with an assertive mannerism to help fill in his gaps in confidence ('No, that bag won't eat you... walk on" type of stuff). Over time I would imagine he might take advantage of a 'push over' type rider ... ("are you sure you mean turn here? maybe we should just stop and hang out" kind of stuff) which could easily be addressed with occasional 'tune-up' type rides.

If for any reason he doesn't work out in his new home he will always have a space here at my home. I am trying to place him in a new home because he does not have a job here. My husband has no interest in riding, my children have a pony that is more suitable height wise for them, and because my interest lies in competing I don't have the time to devote to him.

He has been with our family since a weanling so a good loving home is most important.