The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What a giggle!! Flying, carry-on and the "foot clamp part"

I'm flying with my saddle in about two weeks to go visit my folks, and I figured I'd call to make SURE it would be okay.

I checked with the airline, which had no idea what I meant despite my using small words: "I have a saddle....for putting on a horse, you know?" When I used the word "tree" inside the saddle, the poor agent was like, "there's a tree in there?" She promptly gave me the number for TSA.

Soooo, TSA. I got an agent who, once I repeated the above, put me on hold, understandably. But when she got back, hooooo boy! She asked if I could remove the "foot insert." I assured her I could and would be checking them inside my bag. She stated that was fine then, because they were metal and couldn't be carried on. She stated, "as long as you can take the foot clamp part off" I could carry on my saddle.

Oh my !!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

LOL, they could come in handy tho, those clampy foot thingeys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Default coolarooni

ROFLMAO, foot clamp, geez I always wondered what those were for!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

i have on several occasions traveled with my saddle and it is quite fun to see the expressions on everyone's face while you wander around with the saddle, especially when it goes through the detector, quite entertaining...lots of fun. of course bring your helmet too and you really get some questions. I love the foot clamp part...how weird...
    Last edited by three_dayer; Apr. 19, 2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: just because

I'm going to check the stirrups, helmet, half-chaps and boots (with spurs, ha!), and my saddle is going to be in a saddle bag, so I don't think people will even know what it is. I have gone before w/o my saddle and my helmet clipped on the top of my back pack, and gotten some looks.

On the off-chance, I do have an email into Devoucoux about the tree...odd that I never thought about what it was made of before, but then my Dad asked, "well, isn't it steel?" I was like, no of course not! but then started thinking...ruh roh . But even so with my stirrups, they are carbon-fiber or whichever that material is, but with cheese-grater pads. There was NO WAY I was going to try to explain that to TSA!

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I think they are worried you use them as - erm, as what...slinging them over your head like some midevial weapon!

Together with the Xena battle cry....
    GNU Terry Prachett

I imagine hitting someone with an iron after completing a swing or two would do some damage, probably more than the fingernail clippers we can't have on the plane anymore...

To be honest though, "foot clamp" gave me flashbacks to a certain annual doctor's visit...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I imagine hitting someone with an iron after completing a swing or two would do some damage, probably more than the fingernail clippers we can't have on the plane anymore...

To be honest though, "foot clamp" gave me flashbacks to a certain annual doctor's visit...

LOL, they share the technical term, too...
    GNU Terry Prachett

Foot clamps, what an idea!

You ought to see me, with my thick accent, trying to explain what the aluminum boot pulls were.
    I don't think I ever got thru to them what they were, but the let me go on believing I was not going to try to make a hole in the plane with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I think they are worried you use them as - erm, as what...slinging them over your head like some midevial weapon!

Together with the Xena battle cry....
    Hey, I've been brained with one of those "foot clamp thingys"....flying through the air and WHAM into the back of my head. You could kill someone with those

Yep, they made weapons in antiquaty with that principle!
    GNU Terry Prachett

Shortly after 9-11 I was coming home from Scottsdale and was not allowed by TSA to take a pair of stirrup irons on the plane. The TSA agent hefted them and swung as though he was coshing someone. Fortunately we had time to toss them in a carry-on bag and check it.

I used to travel with my saddle as a carry-on at least once a year. No one made me check the foot-clampy-things, but it's easier to travel with them checked.

Of course it was held up through the security check since they had no idea what it was...ever!

Alagirl, you mean a flail or a mace?
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
    Alagirl, you mean a flail or a mace?

Either, conk somebody over the head with it, all is well!
    GNU Terry Prachett

I can't stop laughing. I will never think of stirrups the same way again. Have a great trip!

That's pretty good! LOL

As a sidenote...will your helmet be in a case? I'd be worried that a helmet could be damaged in checked baggage. Lord knows I've seen stuff tossed....
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Side note to the side note:

Will anybody outside COTH (and the normal world) be able to get 'foot clamp thingey'? (I can see it now in 'Dressage': Riding sans foot-clamp-thingey)
    GNU Terry Prachett