The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else's WB awkward going into 2yo year?

My filly has been so well put together all her life. She never went through a real awkward phase as a yearling. She's about to turn 2 next week, and she looks sooooo ugly right now. Her body is huge and her neck is too small and her head is too big...I thought this awkward stuff was for the yearling year

Oh no, it lasts much longer for some than the yearling year . Some even look "not real great" until 3 or 4 . But relax, if she was a pretty baby, she will eventually get pretty again.

I was afraid someone would say that LOL. The vet came out to do her spring shots last week and said...oh what breed is she? I was like Dutch warmblood...she goes "I never would have guessed!" hahaha.

I have a going to be tall Irish horse - and we all know why they have 7' fenes in Ireland....to hide their stock behind.

If she is going to be big, it will take longer. My seven year old was laughed at at first when she came out with such a big head and such big feet - but baby, look at her now. She's a beaut. (17.00 hh)

I'll join the club. My guy who will be 2 on July 28th is ugly ugly ugly : ( I think someone took my guy apart and put him back together with the wrong pieces! I thought he was nice looking when he was a youngster, what do you think? http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...nStanding1.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...oblinTrot4.jpg

I won't even show you a picture of what he looks like right now! lol Good thing I am not trying to sell him as a 2yr no one would know that he is a WB

I've been looking at an awkward long yearling. She's always been a stunning mover despite being 1 to 3 inches high behind, but that gawdawful neck and head. A couple of weeks ago she got all pretty! Neck is all beautiful, lovely head, and still that cadenced, floaty gait. Of course, her butt is growing again, so we may uneven out again. She'll be two in two weeks.

Oh yay we're not alone then!! Gaellentquest i can't wait to see your pics when I got home...my work computer has photo bucket blocked . My girl sounds to be the same age as yours beentheredonethat, and i swear like 2 MONTHS AGO(i have photo evidence) she looked GREAT! Then all of a sudden she seems to have gotten alot of depth to her torso, and her neck suddenly was too small!! She is thin right now also, and I decided to body clip her at the end of february....let's just say i'll never do that again! She grows this craaaaaaaazy long winter coat the likes of which i have never seen. Her face fur is so long she looks like a chipmunk. I figured...hey, i've got a pair of Oster A-5's and some time, what the heck! She looks like she was attacked by a lawnmower. It looked so neat the first few days after i clipped her, then it started to grow back in and holy clipper tracks!! I should definitely give up any and all dreams of being a professional groom

Oh and to make matters worse, our first in-hand show was supposed to be May 9th. I already bought her show bit and bridle!! I clipped her at the end of February thinking her summer coat would be grown in by now. She isn't even chestnut anymore at the moment...her coat is still a weird tan/dun color. I'm hoping I will MAYBE be able to show her in hand in AUGUST!! :-*(.

I was going to take my boy to some shows but with the way he looks right now I am with you, maybe this fall he will come out from behind the stable!

Yes. Mine was holding her own until this winter.

Her gaits have gone south. I know it will be back some day but...

I have two two-year-olds, one gelded and one still entire. The gelding is 16.2 with an 18 hand sized head, but dished and pretty. His body is just beginning to catch up. My other is well-proportioned, at least today!

Yikes! 16.2 at 2? That is going to be one huge boy!

I went to help my old BO take pictures of the babies, and I swear they went from pretty to just downright hideous in the time it took me to go in the house and get the camera. It's like things only fit together for a couple minutes and then they get ugly again

The four year old has finally come into himself though, which is nice. I thought he'd never grow into that head.

Oh this is my guys 3/4 brother who is now 5 in the video, so I do have hope for him!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNtCG1EwFIQ

We are having to hide our two year olds out behind the barn One of them is quite pretty still, though shedding out like a yak. Here is video of her a few weeks back...she is by Fabuleaux, out of a Donnerschall x Wilhelm Tell II mare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba31ovEbzjw

FlyingHorse, your filly by Fabuleaux is lovely. I am such a Fabuleaux fan, but haven't a good match for him right now.

GaellentQuest, my 16.2 hand 08 gelding strings at just about 18 hands and his half-brother (both Landkoenigs) is just under 18. h at 5. They are going to be a matched set (for Paul Bunyan! LOL!). My other 08 is 15.1 and quite well-proportioned. Only my 09 filly is still shedding a really long silky coat.

FlyingHorse- She is beautiful! Her and my boy have almost the exact same face markings, here you can see his face, he just turned 1 when the video was taken http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjhfv9HhCMA

dianehalpin- Wow. Those are going to be big boys! You will have to post pictures of them sometime.

Because of this thread, I just sticked the tall 08 Landkoenig gelding, Landkaptain. Today, he is 16.3. His birthday is in two days. He's on just a handful of concentrates, orchard hay in small amounts, and well-cropped pasture. His angles all look good now, though was a bit upright in front during the winter and had frequent even trims. Somewhere lost on YouTube is a video of the 5 year old Landkoenig jumping, but I can't find it! Landkaptain as a foal and my other 08 as a foal and yearling are on my un-updated website "laurelleafhanoverians.com" (no "www"). Yes, two giants but lovely, sweet natures and good intelligence. They are very good jumpers in the chute (and over fences for the 5 year old). But they are GIGANTIC! Long legs like telephone posts.

Oh, and Landkaptain's dam (by Kalypso/bottom by Armin) is 16.0 hands! Le Premier's dam, the GP jumper Captiva, was 17. plus.

Thanks, dh and GQ! Freya is also a sweetheart, and I would definitely consider breeding the the dam back to Fabuleaux ( her dam is in foal to Welcome for a May'10 foal, and booked to Wolkentanz II for '11.) She should mature in the 16-16.1H range.

My other two year old is an Escudo II x Nicholas that is 16.1H in front, and close to 17H behind, and just shy of his second birthday. I can't keep up with his trot, and boy does he get air when he goes! We also can't free lunge him in the arena, as he will jump out.

The other '08 is small, by Bergamon, out of a Dederick mare, but his new owner is petite, so that worked out nicely. He should mature just under 16H, and is a springy, loosey, goosey mover, with never a bit of tension in him, and a total peach to deal with