The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default para dressage

Do the para dressage riders at WEG also ride at GP level or does it depend on the person? I don't know much about it but Robert had mentioned they were looking for a couple horses to possibly borrow for the event. Anyone knowledgable in this area?

The tests are Grades I-IV depending on the severity of the disability. I believe Ia is walk only, Ib and II are walk/trot, III is like 2nd/3rd level and IV is like PSG. Someone who knows more about this can jump in here too. I believe you can do more in the freestyle too (like Grade II riders can canter in the freestyle).

The IV Individual test has many of the Third/Fourth level movements in it, but no flying changes. For the Freestyle, the rider is allowed to do changes to three tempis.

My good friend Robin Brueckmann, a member of the 2008 US Olympic Para Team is currently campaigning my GP horse Raison d'Etre, as well as her Olympic partner Radetzky in Grade IV Para tests and they have already been invited to the Para Selection Trial, to be held at Lamplight in June where Robin will hopefully garner a spot on the WEG Para Team. Her highest score with Raison d'Etre's thus far is 78.7 %.

Robin, who is also a well known judge and clinician has trained a number of horses to Grand Prix - all of them have also competed in Para tests.
    Perfection is not attainable, but when we chase perfection, we can catch excellence - Vince Lombardi

www.thehomestedt.com