The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ramona Guest

Talking Barns that host weddings in New England?

Hello,

I just got engaged (yay!) and I'm hoping to find a farm that hosts weddings (can be horsey or not). I'd like to do the ceremony outside-maybe in a garden or an orchard, and have the reception in a refurbished barn. Basically I'd like to go for rustic charm with some class. We're expecting approx 150 people. Ideally I'd love for it to be tied (or have providers) to organic and local food. I'd be looking first in Mass, Maine and NH, VT could also work. Oh, and we want to do it soon-by fall of 2010 so that makes it extra crazy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Check out Fruitlands in Harvard, MA. I went to a wedding there a couple years ago and they do an excellent job. The reception was in a tent. But the farm is just lovely.

Drumlin Farm might do weddings too.

Codman Estate in Lincoln might be appropriate to. Codman farm sells local meat and there may be some connection.

Five Bridge Inn outside of Providence in southern MA:

http://www.fivebridgeinn.com/

Dimond Hill Farm in Hopkinton, NH started hosting events. Amazing view.

Although they are a hay and produce farm, functions are not their main gig.

Not to steal your thread.. but along the same lines... does anyone have ideas for upstate NY, around Lake George? We're having a small immediate family only (think 8-10 people including us, the bride and groom)... we're trying to locate a beautiful location so we can get great pictures. Then we'll have a nice family dinner with small cake. Then we're going to have a big party back at home to celebrate that everyone can come to, a "reception" so to speak.

Berkshire Botanical Gardens hosts weddings...they have some odd rules and limits on the number of people who can be in certain areas, but it is a gorgeous facility and I'm thinking about my (far off in the future) wedding being there.

http://www.stagecoachtavern.net/

The Stage Coach Tavern in Sheffield MA has a big barn that could be a nice space. (I didn't even see a mention of it on their website, but I didn't look carefully). (edited to add, click on "catering/private parties" and the top picture is of the barn)

I think your best bet is going to be an inn that has a barn for events . . . it would be an interesting niche for a farm, but the infrastructure needed to host relatively big events (parking, catering, toilets etc etc etc) is something that virtually no farm has, unless it has decided to go into the event business.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a beautiful location!

Or, what about having it in a winery? I can think of two local to me that have barn-like spaces and that are set up for catering . . .

Now you'll have to let us know where you end up!

try the round barn farm in waitsfield, vermont. ultra spiffy!
    Last edited by suz; Apr. 19, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

I would not even consider Diamond Hill in Hopkinton...where would they put people? Its a barn, has a rustic, and not in the endearing terms area where they sell food and produce, and its meager at best. Maybe they would put up a tent, and yes, the scenery is beautiful, but not anything that out of the ordinary for New England.
    Sorry, but that is not a good recommendation...scratch that one!

What about a google search?
    Or, in all seriousness, I'd ask Martha. That kind of gig is right up her alley.

Tyrone Farm in Putnam, CT. Really beautiful. http://www.tyronefarm.com/
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Ramona,

what you are planning is exactly what I did last year. We got married in the gardens of an old castle and had the reception in the renovated stables. There were only 30 guests, so it was small. We catered in with a local caterer who used all locally grown produce, including locally caught fish. All in all it was the most wonderful day and I would do it again in a heartbeat. However, it was in Scotland, so I can't suggest anywhere, just telling you that the format worked great!

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Not to steal your thread.. but along the same lines... does anyone have ideas for upstate NY, around Lake George? We're having a small immediate family only (think 8-10 people including us, the bride and groom)... we're trying to locate a beautiful location so we can get great pictures. Then we'll have a nice family dinner with small cake. Then we're going to have a big party back at home to celebrate that everyone can come to, a "reception" so to speak.
    I'm not sure if they do parties, but I enjoyed a stay at http://www.oldestonehouseinn.com/index.htm -- The decor is horsey --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

I second Tyrone Farm in Pomfret.
    Lovely place.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Last summer I had my wedding at Mile Away Restaurant in Southern New Hampshire. They were great- people were accomodating, food was good, drinks were good, the day of there was a "mom" there to coordinate everything who was awesome, and the cake was the best we've ever had. I was looking for kinda the same thing as you- rustic charm/possibly outdoors/field/garden setting. They have a beautiful garden and the restaurant is very rustic and old. I did not want commercial chandeliers and ugly carpets like at a hotel.

Also, Gibbet Hill Grill in Groton, MA ($$$) is good, and Harrington Farm in Princeton, MA ($$$$) is supposed to be the BEST.

I used to work at both Nashoba Valley Winery in Bolton and Fruitlands in Harvard (both in MA). Both are nice. Not cheap. Not sure how expensive compared to Gibbet Hill and Harrington Farm. All four of those places were out of my budget (way way way out) so I didn't even look that hard.

OH, and I worked a wedding at Tower Hill Botanical Gardens in West Boylston, MA once and it was gorgeous. The best part is that they have a "Orangerie" room that is climate controlled but all glass because they have plants in there and it was FABULOUS in the summer heat.

Good luck!!

Ramona Guest

Thanks so much everyone for the replies! I have already started checking them out.

With my Mom's input ;-) it looks like we're looking to do it in northern MA or south coastal to the central lakes region in ME.

I would love to do it a winery with a barn type of space, that would be perfect!

I looked at the Round Barn and I LOVE it, but Mom doesn't want to do VT. That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though.

I really appreciate the replies, please keep them coming!

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

tell mom it's your wedding!! you should go where you want to, says she who suggested the roundbarn, lol.

CAROLINA GIRL About 30 miles south of Lake George is Saratoga Springs which has many beautiful old venues and many places for great photos. The Adelphi is an old hotel right on the main street in Saratoga that has a small courtyard garden for ceremonies. The Canfield Cansino is just down the street, within walking distance from the hotel and a great place for pictures.

The Saratoga Performing Arts Center is in a large park that also has the Gideon Putnam Hotel on the grounds (old, grand and beautiful). There are other sites in the park as well that provide all kinds of options. The original spring fed spa buildings are there and I think they are still in use.

Congrats on your engagement!!

Ramona (loves it!) do you know - roughly - how many people you'll be having? I happen to know of another fabulous place near the place I suggested to you privately, but the venue is considerably smaller.

ETA: Scratch that thought. We'll have to have your shower there instead WAAAAAYYYY too small for a wedding party.