The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb In search of a quality G-LINE STALLION for my G-Line mare…

There we go again… I’m stuck!
    I have a G-Line mare and would love to put her to a G-Line stallion:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/gundi18

I had thought about using Goldfever but I do not think it’s such a great idea anymore… luckily I shared my thoughts on this brilliant forum and got some insights that made me reconsider…

Now, the question I have is which G-Line stallions have the highest breeding value?!

What would be YOUR pick?!

Stalypso has a fair amount of G-line (just not the name), 3x on top and once on bottom. I assume you want a jumper offspring.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/stalypso

Viva Voltaire http://www.charlotfarm.com/2008%20Viva.htm

stoicfish – thanks for your comment! you're not the first person to recommend Stalypso - I've been tempted to use him!

And yes, I’m looking to breed a jumper

Can think of a couple, Graf Top or Gracieux, if you wanted to double up on the grannus

Grand Cru is another, he is dual purpose

Klatte stud probably has a few G line stallions too

Paulamc

If you’re not above taking risks (a somewhat calculated one, since his pedigree is made up of proven horses) then Hengstation Bockmann has a new G-line stallion named Gabbiano. Very nice pedigree and not full of Gotthard, who can make hotter rides.

http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=287342

I also have a mare with traditional (Gotthard / Ramiro) lines and she looks the part, too. About two yrs ago I was discussing her breeding with Holly Simensen of the N American GOV and for the life of me I can’t remember with certainty whether Gabbiano is indeed the one she recommended as we were in the middle of doing something else and I didn’t have a pen and paper at the time but do recall thinking: OK, try and remember new, G-line, and a nice Italian name.

Thing is, the G-line is heavy, and I’m sure you know we have to be careful not to recreate capability with no stamina to see it through - which would be like having a Ferrari with almost no gas.
    GreenGate Stables
    http://ggstables.webs.com/

I have to ask, what are the qualities that lead you to want a G-line stallion? Your mare is not typical of what G-Line is, so if you are trying to get a similar type to her, her type comes from other lines in her pedigree. I personally LOVE G-Line type horses, but they are heavier, typically shorter legs, LOTS of power behind, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    I have to ask, what are the qualities that lead you to want a G-line stallion? Your mare is not typical of what G-Line is, so if you are trying to get a similar type to her, her type comes from other lines in her pedigree. I personally LOVE G-Line type horses, but they are heavier, typically shorter legs, LOTS of power behind, etc.
    Funny, I have a G line mare that is none of those things. She is often confused for a TB or Arab cross.

That said, to the OP, my mare is by Graf Top II out of a Grandferdinand mare. From what I can gather, she takes after her father more than her mother. If your mare is in Europe, I hear Graf Top is nicer than Graf Top II.

I have never met a horse with more heart than my mare. She suffered from a huge chip in her stifle and fooled all the vets for years, she'll do anything you ask of her every time, will jump anything in front of her, she's pretty, and has 3 above average gaits, and as good a temperament as you could ever ask for. If she's any indication of the Graf Top lines then I would recommend them to anyone.

Anyway, this is just coming from an owner, but I have heard from others Graf Top is a nice stallion.

Gatsby is a G-line stallion, through Gonzo I, who is not at all heavier with shorter legs. Of course, his dam is TB

Crossing with other lines and types will change the offspring, but these are what is thought of as the G-Line type.

If I want to add G-Line to my program, it is because I am looking for substance, a big engine and strong top-line, lots of suspension in the gaits, good jump, and an easy going temperament.

There are many horses that have G-line in their pedigree, but that is not the same as a G-line type.

These are your typical G-Line horses

Grande, Gold Luck, and Gold Luck's son (out of a TB mare ), Garibaldi II
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grande.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	28901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold Luck.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	28902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold Luck jump.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	28904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gatsby 4 years old.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	28905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garibaldi II.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	28906  

Last edited by Fairview Horse Center; Apr. 19, 2010 at 03:01 PM.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a.../lougheed2.gif

Fairview,
    I have noticed this too. The above horse is out of a Grand Cru mare and I think looks more like a G-line than his sire (who also has G-line, but has a different type)
    He is only 3 in the pic.

Grand Cru http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...h/grandcru.jpg

A different twist would be to look for an For Pleasure son as he is Furioso x Grannus.

There are some very nice FP sons around. The also tend to be more refined. We have a For Paragon in our barn and she is lovely and not bulky at all.

Furturist stands at Charlot Farms and has really nice offspirng out competeing.

There is also Federalist and For Play - both are here in the US.

If I want to add G-Line to my program, it is because I am looking for substance, a big engine and strong top-line, lots of suspension in the gaits, good jump, and an easy going temperament.
    Yep, that describes my extraordinarily sweet boy, Gatsby, to a T!

www.foxdalefarm.us

I have to ask, what are the qualities that lead you to want a G-line stallion? Your mare is not typical of what G-Line is, so if you are trying to get a similar type to her, her type comes from other lines in her pedigree.
    I’m a novice breeder; with the passion for it but little expertise… but then again I guess breeding is, luckily, always a gamble

There is a number of qualities I adore in her and again, I am not sure (to your point) whether this is typical of the G-Line or if that comes from other lines in her pedigree – here I see the huge benefit of sharing observations on the forum and “comparing notes”. My mare has the kindest character, gets easily attached to other horses and people. She is a fast learner and careful not to repeat mistakes with a wonderful temperament, trainability and talent for jumping. The funny thing is that she is extremely strong and seems that she often surprises herself with the strength that she possesses as that capability does not suit her delicate character.

I do not look to breed a similar type to her as there are a number of “issues” I hope to address. She is very tall horse with long legs, standing at 172cm. Her back is long, too and having ridden her, it often gives a sensation that the front turns first, later followed by the rest of her (only training has managed to improve this slightly). She doesn’t seem to grow muscle easily. We try to help that with numerous exercises, various additions to feeds or ointments. She doesn’t appear very round, rather square around her rear, etc. It took years to build muscle around her spine which initially resulted in her being very sensitive to saddles and causing difficulty in accepting a rider. Because of her height and length we observe that she often struggles to balance, especially in tight turns or in combinations of fences during competition. She is just not very well coordinated…

You should see her technique though, the power… amazing You can put any jump you want in front of that mare and she will clear it. She wows onlookers… here are some pictures:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Ilona.Tu...at=directlink#

My understanding has been that indeed G-Line stallions add the power from behind and the strength through the back. I need to improve flexibility in bent and add agility in the show jumping course.

On top of that, I’m a huge fan of the G-Line so if I could use a G-Line stallion, it would simply make me happy
    Last edited by ilka_tu; Apr. 20, 2010 at 07:13 AM.

Here are the G-line stallions I bred...shown as they were at the age of 3.
    I never had an issue with maturity.

Name:	Grande Saber Ch trot 3yrsm.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	28909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sovereign 3 crop.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	28911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sovereign 6 crop B.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	28912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sovereign sm.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	28913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GQ Suz 5 trotcrop.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	28914  

Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    Couture Du Jour - Devon Winner '10 & '12 & PHSA Champ '10
    Grande Desire & Impression '08-10 PHSA Champs
    Grande Sovereign -CH & HB Sire

Another sold in utero...Grande Leviticus..Grande Saber x Parisenne /Pilot

Name:	Levi FL 06.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	28915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Levi Jump crop.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	28916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levifreejumpinglanding.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	28917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeviUS.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	28918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levitrot2004.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	28919  

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by ilka_tu View Post
    My mare has the kindest character, gets easily attached to other horses and people. She is a fast learner and careful not to repeat mistakes with a wonderful temperament, trainability and talent for jumping. The funny thing is that she is extremely strong and seems that she often surprises herself with the strength that she possesses as that capability does not suit her delicate character.

She doesn’t seem to grow muscle easily.
    I've never heard a G-line mare described as delicate in character although they are generally kind, love people and are VERY intelligent.

The muscle thing is not G-line. G-lines, at least the Grande line, seem to have muscles on their muscles. My 2 year old and yearling have huge gaskins and forearms and amazing toplines. And they don't do anything but eat and play
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

rodawn, I do not see Goldlowe in his pedigree?
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/graf+grannus2

I have looked at Argentinus before but heard that the quality of the frozen semen that’s left is questionable – have you used him or heard from anyone who has?

If you look at my mare’s pedigree, she’s was sired by Goodman (by Graf Grannus)
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/gundi18

You reckon I should breed more into G?

I love my G-line boy and his offspring are the easiest to deal with horses I have ever been around.
    MZMFarm.com - you can see a picture of him there.

I competed him as an AA, did all the training on him myself too. He is an excellent jumper, but jumps me right out of the tack (then stops gently and waits for me to get back in the saddle , so we don't jump much with me on him). The taller and more complicated the combination, the happier he is.

Gotta run to a seminar, but if you have questions, let me know.

I've worked with a ton of Gold Luck offspring and have a 2 yr old filly of my own and they are GREAT to work with. He definitely throws his personality, which is very social and really gets down to business when it's needed. The jump I've seen varies from just okay to fabulous, haven't seen any that had no business doing it but I've only seen one jump under saddle. I have backed my filly and she couldn't have cared less, which is pretty much her attitude about all of the "monsters" the others see... Mine has a lot of engine and a good topline. He throws a good amount of bone and tends to stamp them with his chrome.

There are pictures of her as a yearling here: http://darkstr.webs.com/ghumdrop.htm she never went through a very awkward phase...
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by ilka_tu View Post
    rodawn, I do not see Goldlowe in his pedigree?
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/graf+grannus2
    [/URL]
    That pedigree is wrong http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/graf+grannus is the right one.

Your mare's is also wrong.