The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TurtleNeck Fly Away Turtle Fly Sheet?

I was going to order one of the Turtle fly sheets for my horse but when I called to ask about the sizing, they said that both sizes he could possibly fit into were out of stock and that it'd be a few weeks.

Where have you seen these sheets / where did you order yours from?

Also, those of you who have one, what do you think the sizing is like? My Thoroughbred is quite narrow but with large shoulders (TurtleNeck said their blankets "are made for Warmbloods") and can usually do a 78" turnout but I order up and get 80"s in dress sheets, stable sheets, coolers, etc.

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I have one and I really like it. My gelding, who is very hard on his clothes, has not yet destroyed it. It does have 2 small tears, which I need to contact them about.

The sizing doesn't seem to be even close to right though. My boy measures a 66". He's purebred Arab, 15.2h, but short backed. He SWIMS in the 78" blanket he wears, which is a hand-me-down from my mare. I ordered him a 74" in the Turtleneck, and it's fairly small in the neck. He's not huge in the shoulders either, it's all belly and butt (he's not quite 4, hasn't filled out in the shoulders). The sheet is also just barely long enough on his back. It fits him fine, bit I was expecting that he would still fit into it when he filled out in the shoulders.

But it seems FAR superior to anything else I have tried for him. He cannot go naked, as he has HORRIBLE reactions to insects. It's also not rubbing him at all, which is nice since he is in it 24/7.

I found the T-neck fly sheets seem to run smaller than their turnout sheets/blankets, and smaller than other brands too. I ordered a 78 fly away for one horse that is wearing 75s in things like Rambo/Rhino and it was quite snug last year, so I suspect this year he will have grown out of it. But he is still wearing a 78 T-neck rain sheet that is pretty comfortable for him.

I do really like the sheet and might buy another if I find a good price (they are pretty spendy as fly sheets go), but will definitely order up, size-wise.

Didn't answer about where to buy as I can't recall where I got mine. But I think Turtleneck keeps a list of dealers on their website. I also have seen some on ebay lately.
    Last edited by horsepoor; Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks for the advice on the sizing- I'll defiantly go for the 80" and see what that looks like on him.

Hampton Bay- Will you let me know what they say about the tears? The sheets are supposed to have a 1 year warranty but I'm curious as to what they'll say.
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I just bought one this week for my pony. She wears a 64" Schneider's turnout, and the 68" turtleneck flysheet fits her perfectly, but borders on the too small size. The one I have for my other horse fits the same way. He wears a 72" in other blankets, but his turtleneck flysheet is a 76" (and his fits him perfectly).

I would suggest adding 4" to whatever size blanket your horse normally wears, and purchasing that size.

I got mine from the Equestrian Shop in MA. They have them on sale there.

I will let you know what they say. At this point, I don't want them to replace it. He will just tear it again. I would rather keep patching it, and then have them replace it at the end of the season. I do have a plan on fixing it, weaving nylon thread through the existing weave, an inch or so on either side of the tear, to kinda weave it back together, if that makes sense.

Ahh I saw that they were on sale there but they were out of the sizes I was thinking about. Considering how small these seem to run maybe the 84" they still have will work? They are a lot off though..what do you think- is it worth trying that size?

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your sheet? Are you thinking another horse was biting him or is the material really not very durable?

Ugh. You just cannot seem to win with fly sheets! Kensingtons were my second choice but I think I still want to try these first..

One of mine is going on its second year and it only has a few little holes in it. The first year the horse it was on was out in a large pasture with around 30 horses- I'm sure it was chewed on quite a bit (and it was on for most of the summer).

The other one I just put on the pony this past weekend- we will see how it holds up, as she's out with a blanket chewing yearling.

As far as fit goes- if he usually wears an 80" the 84" might fit (it might be a tiny bit big, but I imagine it wouldn't be by much).

Hampton Bay- How old is your fly sheet?

Well I had to go up 3 sizes for my Arab and my TB for their turtleneck heavy weight blankets.

I got mine right about a month ago. So it's still really new. I do think the two tears are from him being bitten on the butt. My boarder's mare is a b**** about biting him on the butt.

Still haven't heard anything. I emailed, so if I don't hear anything by tomorrow morning I will call.

As for the size, my boy measures about 8" smaller than the sheet he's wearing, and there is no way I would go smaller for him. Worst case scenario, it's a bit long in the hiney.

Thanks. He measures 8" smaller than his sheet? Wow. I haven't asked, but how does the neck piece (that's supposedly inc.?) run size wise? Do you think I should maybe try an 82" first for my horse? I don't think 82" was out of stock so it'd be nice not having to wait a couple more weeks.. It'll be interesting to see what they say about your sheet and after you hear back, I'll maybe call and see if they have an 82" in stock

The way the neck is attached, you won't have issues with it size-wise. I did sew a browband to it though, because it kept sliding down like mad. I just took a wide piece of black elastic and sewed it to the nylon webbing. I have to loop it back over an ear a couple times a day, but it works.

Yeah, my horse measures a 66" and his sheet is a 74". I certainly wouldn't go smaller.

The sizing information seems really weird.

I bought Turtleneck sheets and blankets for my horses when they first came out and bought the same size I buy in every other blanket and they all fit perfectly and as I expected. Is the sizing issue only with the fly sheet or are you experiencing it with their other products too? I was going to buy the flysheet but know I don't know.

I bought a Fly Away Turtle in 81" for my guy who usually wears a 76 or a 78. It's not fly season in Ohio yet, but now y'all have me curious. Guess I'll have to try it on him this afternoon and report back!

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Is the sizing issue only with the fly sheet or are you experiencing it with their other products too?
    For me, I have found that the fly sheet does run smaller than the other sheets/blankets from T-neck that I have.

Jn4jenny- Please do let me know how it fits your horse! Also, where were you able to get it in an 81"? I'm weary of trying an 82" as I can't imagine my horse wearing that size, an 81" sounds better...

I think they only come in even sizes. I just checked the website and it only listed evens.

I thought they just came in even sizes too but if she really has an 81", I'd like to know where she got it.

I have a Turtleneck Fly Sheet for my mare (in addition to the sheet and blanket) and she wears a 78 in all of them. I didn't notice any sizing difference with the sheet. I got it almost 2 years ago.