The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default horse losing hair everywhere

It seems like overnight our chestnut mare is losing her hair on her body and face. First noticed it around her flanks and shoulders then the next day it seems her whole body is losing it including her face. At first I thought it was rain rot but there are no scabs. She is very soft and slick. Should I treat her like it is rain rot?

My chestnut gelding sheds the same way every year, ever since he has reached his late teens. I do give him a couple of Micro Tek anti-fungal baths as he sheds, but since I've never seen any rain rot, I just help him shed out as quickly as possible, and then he looks great.

My (very) old horse is doing the same thing for the first time ever. He did have a severe case of rainrot that is recovering now(and finally growing hair back), however that was mostly on the top of his back and butt. The hair he is losing now is on his neck/shoulders....it is definitely more than just the regular shedding!

I asked my BM about it and she said its probably "typical TB sensitive skin" and shouldnt be a problem...however its never happened before.

Also, he is a chestnut...interesting. I'd love more info if anyone knows anything!

Every Spring, almost literally overnight, my thin-skinned TB mare goes bald on her gaskins and the bottom of her neck where it meets the shoulder. Winter hair coming out faster than Summer hair growing.

nicomalulu Guest

I was recommended to use head & shoulders or selsun blue human shampoo several times a week. This must be common in Chestnuts

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Every Spring, almost literally overnight, my thin-skinned TB mare goes bald on her gaskins and the bottom of her neck where it meets the shoulder. Winter hair coming out faster than Summer hair growing.
    My chestnut mare did the same (although Selle Francais cross). She would shed out bald. THEN summer hair grows in. Had nothing to do with rain rot or any such condition.
    Wooly mammoth-->bald-->nice summer coat.

If your horse seems to have a skin condition as well, I would certainly apply some sort of Microtek or other product. Otherwise, just leave it be with regular grooming.

Add me to the group with an oddly shedding chestnut horse this season. Hair was falling out in clumps, I was afraid I was going to have a hairless horse! But, it seems to be coming in normally now. Whew!

I've got the same thing going on! It is frustrating because there are several chestnut horses at the same barn who never get groomed and they all look sleek and shiny. Mine get attention daily and they look like neglect cases! Go figure....

I literally pull clumps of hair off my guy's belly and he has his summer hair under that, but his shoulders, neck and behind ears are balding-he looks like he has BAD blanket rubs and his halter had been left on-he doesn't wear blankets and only has a halter on to be led or groomed. I always hate this time of ear for him! My other retiree is black/brown and almost shedded out. The only difference between the two is color and the fact the non-chestnut is 10 years younger. Both get flax seed and I add corn oil to the chestnut's feed every Spring.

Add my older chestnut mare to the club!! I used to want to tell everyone that she wasn't diseased or anything, just shedding. *lol*
    Zenyatta and Rachel ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Equino View Post
    I literally pull clumps of hair off my guy's belly and he has his summer hair under that, but his shoulders, neck and behind ears are balding-he looks like he has BAD blanket rubs and his halter had been left on-he doesn't wear blankets and only has a halter on to be led or groomed. I always hate this time of ear for him! My other retiree is black/brown and almost shedded out. The only difference between the two is color and the fact the non-chestnut is 10 years younger. Both get flax seed and I add corn oil to the chestnut's feed every Spring.
    This pretty much describes my mare as well. Although she's not a chestnut.. she's a sorrel. Yay for western registries!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

add one of my old guys to the list of bald chestnuts! We have a special shampoo that seems to slow it down. He has had this issue for a couple of years now.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Hate to break the chestnut chain... but I have two bays that are doing the same thing... One is an Arabian the other is a Paso Fino... I noticed this is pretty typical for my Arabian, she did it last year too. The Paso is an old fella, and well... he's just falling apart . I'm using Microtek on both of them.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

The only horses I don't have doing this YET are two grays. My blacks, bay and chestnut are all hitting these strange bald patches with flaky skin. But, I've seen this before when they shed so I'm not stressing it....yet. I've got plenty of stuff if it's a skin condition but I'm thinking it's just the fur falling out faster than the spring coat can come in. It's mostly on the neck, face in between the front legs, and on the inside of the back legs. They look kind of like mangy dogs at this point. Oddly enough, they've been shedding for weeks. This just started happening last week. All Arabs for what it's worth.

Adding my chestnut mare to the list! She's done this for a few years now - she just turned 25, and I'd say it started around age 19 or 20? Always goes practically bald before her beautiful summer coat comes in.

As a matter of fact, I had someone walk into the barn over the weekend and ask me (with a shocked look on their face) if I had clipped her to look like that. Hee hee!

Gosh I love this Forum. I knew I’d find the answer I was looking for.
    Ditto here for Chestnuts. One senior (25) that is a boarder and been with me for many years and he has never had this happen before. The other is a teenager that lost patches on his rump and around the top of his tail. Again, he's never had it happen before. Everyone else, including a TB, are all fine so far.

As soon as it warms up they are all getting a Microtek bath and all brushes will get disinfected just in case!

Lice or mites.
    They go away on their own when the hair is gone and return the following year.

CSSJR

I've a friend who says his mare is doing this kind of shedding this year; she's a mutt, probably appy/draft cross, and is almost all white.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

my arab is loosing hair on face,neck and spots on side. Also a patch of main and top of tail hair missing.my vet said its and noseeums. so i bought this fly sheet she has for her arab and it worked.

http://estellesreflectivewear.com/ca...category=Sweet Itch Blankets&categoryid=6

Default horse losing hair everywhere

My horse lost his hair as you describe. There were no scabs or indication of irritation. It's a symptom of his nonsweating. For some reason an anhidrotic horse will lose a lot of hair on the face. The hair on the body may come off because when a horse's sweat isn't working, the oil that normally protects his skin isn't working either. The natural oils would protect the skin from fungus and bacteria. Please make sure that your horse isn't panting in the heat of the day. It can be a serious condition. Hope this isn't the case but people should be aware of the link.
    Another possibility is too much sweat. A horse can lose hair in the areas where he sweats alot, flanks,base of neck etc. The salt in the sweat can affect the hair and it falls out. A much easier situation to fix. There are other reasons as well. I just wanted to add these to the list.