The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Rochester, NY

Default Saddle pads like Mattes without the premium price tag?

Title pretty much says it all. Looking for something with the wither relief/padding, but for less than a gazillion dollars. Dressage or AP, not a half pad.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Michigan The Hunt Country

Default Tack of the Day

(TOTD) has Mattes as an itim this week--get the real thing for much less--wear like iron but be sure to get the right size.!!

Have you looked at the Dover version? I don't think the sheepskin is quite as nice, but the price is good.

Personally, I have two Mattes and think they're worth the money - they last forever!

I can recommend the saddle pads from this seller. Top quality, good fit!

PS: Looks like the prices went up - I think I paid about $30 a couple months ago

I highly recommend the Engel sheepskin pads, nice thick sheepskin comparable to Mattes and at a great price!

You can buy them here.
    Last edited by pippa553; Apr. 18, 2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: wrong link... grrrr

We have almost all Mattes pads and two off-brand ones, including one from Dover. The other offbrand that I can't remember the name of right now works pretty well, but the dover one is crappy - it doesn't stay in place and isn't fitted enough. I would definitely save my pennies and get a Mattes. They're worth the cost.

Rocky Mountain High

I was going to say but then I reread your post and saw you said no half pads.

They also have this pad but it's getting up there with the price of a Mattes so I'm not sure it'll be at all helpful.
    "These are my principles. If you do not like them, I have others." --Groucho Marx

San Jose, CA

I love my Engel halfpads. They are great quality and the price is terrific. I buy them at, which offers free shipping in the US. They have full pads and half pads: