The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stray Cat in my barn ~ Update... RIP Stray Kitty

I have two wonderful barn cats....Molly & Spooky. They are spayed and neutered and both get annual shots and worming. Out of the blue a cat shows up at my barn. It is very friendly to people and pretty beat up looking. One night it was in the barn eating and it attacked Molly. It was a bad fight but Molly was unhurt. I noticed since that night that both Molly and Spooky both spend most of their time up in the barn attic.

I hadn't seen the cat is a couple weeks and had hoped that it moved on. I went out to the barn later than normal tonight and now the cat is back and hurt It's paw is swollen and it can't put weight on it. It is a long haired cat and had some clumps before and now it is bald where it had clumps. When I touched it on the neck it has tons of bite (fleas) or scratches. I am going to put it in the tack room tomorrow if it is still around and take it to the vet Monday morning. I am not sure what I should do with it after that though. Molly and Spooky dislike this cat because it attacks them and this was their home first. I will have the cat tested for leukemia first thing and if it has it I will have it euthanized. I am more than happy to let the cat live here but I cannot tolerate my other cats being attacked. I am not sure what to do
    Last edited by Diamondindykin; Apr. 20, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

First, bless you for taking in the kitty and getting it help. Second, if the creature is not spayed or "tutored", maybe that will help. If the kitty is FeLV positive, it can still vetted and placed in a home with no other kitties, although Erin says that other kitties are safe and folks have them together in the home, of course other kitties are vaccinated. So, it does not have to be a death sentence for the poor creature. You could just rehome the little rascal.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Yes, bless you for helping the injured cat ~ the food is the attraction. I recommend feeding your cats inside a tack room where the stray cat can not get their food= feeding the stray cat separetely ~ spaying or neutering it will stop most fighting. Cats are territorial ~ it has moved into another area for food thus the fights... first have check for feline aids and leukemia ~ vaccinations and then spay/neuter and evaluate for release if feral or rehome to another barn ~ but please protect yourself ~ if it is hurt or feral you must avoid getting bitten or scratched ~ transport it in a carrier ~ best to lure into the carrier or handling only with some thick gloves. The cats will all be fine with time ~ but this new one must be vaccinated and "fixed" to live safely with your other barn cats. This has happened many times in our barn history - don't worry it will work out. pm if you have any more questions ~ glad to help ~ I have inherited and adopted many ferals and domestics and domesticated ferals= derals ~ cats in the last 15 years & although I really don't consider myself a cat person ~ I am owned by 11 cats !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Great advice here so I don't really have anything to add. Just keep us posted on what happens. Jingling for good news!!

You're giving the cat a chance, which is an admirable thing. But a few good meals, relief of its pain, a little love and euthanasia is not the worst end an animal can come to. Don't feel too badly if that winds up being the best option for everyone involved.
    Click here before you buy.

Bumping this up for a cat update ~ hope everything goes smoothly at the vet clinic. Jingles
    soft hijack -- did you get your new horse ?

Well, the kitty never came back to the barn last night while I was there. I did call the vet and she said that when I caught her that I could just drop her off on my way to work in the morning.

The plan is to first do a Leukimia test and if it is negative we will fix her up. I will bring her back to the barn and see if she can try to get along with my other cats. Otherwise I will have to find her another home once she is feeling and looking better. The really sad part is that she is such a friendly cat....she was obviously loved by someone once

Anyone in Washington State looking for a new kitty Willing to deliver
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Default What is her name???

She will be back ~what will her name be? She will blend in smoothly once she is feeling better ~ another sign of replenishment ~ which heals the heart. Jingles for the cat ~ she will bring peace to the barn. Apparently you needed another new friend to worry about.

Obviously this kitty has learned my schedule. I went out at 8:30 pm and sure enough the kitty was sitting in the hay resting. I talked to her and opened a can of cat food and she followed me in the tack room. I put a bed in there and more food and water. The kennel is ready and she is off to the vet tomorrow We need BIG COTH jingles that she doesn't have leukemia!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

I would give big jingles but I do not have a curb chain, so I will have to let the harness bells on my door hanger suffice! If I were settled here in Washington, I would love to give her a home. Still waiting on job with the Navy that we came here for almost a year ago. Believe it or not, it is still possible. Where are you, I am on Bainbridge Island at the moment?
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Huge Jingles for the cat !!!!! Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !! Of course she knows your schedule ~ she has adopted you ! Congratulations and Good Luck and ENJOY !!!

Kitty Jingles! I rescued one after 4 months of trying from a McDonalds parking lot. She sleeps on my head and purrs like a freight train.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    I would give big jingles but I do not have a curb chain, so I will have to let the harness bells on my door hanger suffice! If I were settled here in Washington, I would love to give her a home. Still waiting on job with the Navy that we came here for almost a year ago. Believe it or not, it is still possible. Where are you, I am on Bainbridge Island at the moment?
    I am in Ferndale ......way up north by the Canadian border BUT I am willing to deliver
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

The kitty seemed to have a comfortable night in the tack room. Got it in the kennel and it is at the vet as I type. I do believe that said kitty is a BOY. The smell of boyhood from the litter box was a telltale sign

The wonderful Dr. Jordan will pull blood for the leukemia test and then go from there.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Jingles for kity, whatever gender it may be!
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

The stray kitty had FIV and is being euthanized as I type. Better a humane death than a suffering one.

Since my Molly got into a fight with this cat at least once the vet is recommending that I bring her in to be tested

RIP Stray Kitty!!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

OMG ! I am so sorry ~ RIP Stray Kitty .
    Immediate and Super Jingles for Molly and Spooky !
    Again I am soo very sorry ~ you and your barn family certainly did not need this TERRIBLE SITUATION ~ sending thoughts and prayers ! and hugs !

Oh dear. Thank you for doing the responsible and humane thing for the fella {{hugs}}.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Sorry to hear about poor stray kitty, but you did the kind thing. Jingles that your cats are okay.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Default Pumpkin

The story of Pumpkin - a stray who showed up at our door - we fed him and put up signs and looked for his owner and then finally decided to adopt him. We did not allow him inside to meet our girls Hillary and "O" - ~" wait til he is vet checked..." well so off we all go to the vet ~ all separate carriers = no contact . Girls had their annual exams and shots and then it was Pumpkin's turn, the new member of our family. I hugged him and kissed him ~ so very proud of my new boy and handed to the vet for his blood test ~ vet came back with a sad look ~ Pumpkin had feline aids - he was euthanized. I had told him to be brave and he would soon be "home" with the girls ~ so I had hugged him and kissed him "good-bye" and did not know "that" at the time . I cried all the way home with the girls. I had only been owned by Pumpkin a short time ( week or so) but I really did love that handsome boy. RIP PUMPKIN. * So I know how you are feeling and I am very sorry this has happened to your barn family.
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Apr. 20, 2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling