The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default De-wormer, spring grass, farrier. Perfect storm for sore feet???

I have a morgan cross gelding that is mildly IR. I manage it with exercise, careful diet and a grazing muzzle. Things have been going well this spring until this morning. He was sorefooted when he went out. No heat in the feet and no digital pulse but just a bit sore. I immediately put him in a stall and gave him some bute. He got shod yesterday by the same farrier who has been shoeing him for about 6 years and nothing different was done. I asked the farrier if he seemed sore at all and he said no. The other factor is that I dewormed him yesterday with Equimax. I have never used this product before and noticed that it had a distinctive banana smell. Could it have sugar in it that triggered an insulin response? I need to figure this out so I can avoid it in the future.
    Last edited by bird4416; Apr. 19, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

My mare became severely laminitic last spring after being dewormed. And that was the ONLY thing that had changed in her day-to-day routine. I ended up taking her to the equine hospital for pain management and radiographs.

Some folks on the board here really freaked out on me and said that it was IMPOSSBLE that the dewormer caused it, but quite frankly they were full of crap. I have since talked to vets, and other horse owners who have described this very thing happening after deworming IR or Cushings horses. They can also be very sensitive to vaccinations or any other change in their daily routine or feed.

Talk to your vet about it and see if they advise giving bute or previcox along with the deworming. Or better yet, if you can do fecal egg counts and determine how little deworming you can get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I have since talked to vets, and other horse owners who have described this very thing happening after deworming IR or Cushings horses. They can also be very sensitive to vaccinations or any other change in their daily routine or feed.
    Years ago a holistic type vet was treating my horse, and she recommended that any horse with pituitary symptoms not ever be given Ivermectin. That would be Cushings, of course.

I think there's much more involved here than a simple sugar reaction.

I have used Quest for years with no issues. This was the first time I have used Equimax. I rechecked him just now and he is much better. He trots readily on the asphalt and pivots on his hooves when turned in a sharp circle. I gave him another gram of bute just to be sure and tomorrow if he is still ok will lightly ride him and start him back gradually on his normal routine. My vet is coming out Tuesday so I plan on discussing this with her.

Otto continues to improve. He came out looking normal this morning so he had 2 hours of muzzled grazing time and now he is back in his dry lot with soaked hay. I rode him at a walk for 40 minutes and plan on upping the exercise as he tolerates and under advice from the vet. I would really like to solve this mystery. He had less grazing time than normal on the Friday he was dewormed by over 2 hours. If it wasn't dewormer, I'm wondering if there is a weed or plant coming up in the pasture that triggered his laminitis.