The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Double Bell Boots?

I've read that some COTH posters use double bell boots on their horses. Please explain how this is done. I'm interested in trying this while my horse goes through a strengthening phase.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Double bell boots add weight, making a horse lift their feet higher. Ancient method of getting a horse to stop interfering, too, utilized by standardbred harness trainers since Moby Dick was a minnow. Added weight makes a horse lift the feet higher. Think saddlebred. Weird way to increase the work -- add a couple trot sets, would do more and far less dangerous to the sesamoids and tendons....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

i think most people do it so incase one bell boot gets pulled off the horse is still protected from overreaching
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

Trying to keep shoes on. Doing lots of transitions, countercanter and trot poles to help strengthen the hind end. Would love to add hill work but it's flat where I am.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

For turn out someone at my barn used the long neck gummy pull ons first. Then put a larger velcro pair on top. This horse also had back bell boots on for a total of 3 pair. and he still manged to pull shoes! but he was kinda special.