The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How did Driver win World YH?

I was just watching the video of Driver's go in Verden last summer and I'm confused yet again by YH judging.

To me this guy looks occasionally uneven behind, not straight (in his canter especially), and not yet balanced enough to do a good counter canter. (He also loses focus every once in a while but I understand that's supposed to be OK in YH classes.)

So how did this ride translate to 9's and a 10?

I would appreciate anyone's ideas. I don't get it from what I saw so I'm thinking I must have missed something.

I saw there -saw him in person. He deserved the win. Believe me. Things look different in person than on youtube.

I certainly would let him come live at my place! NICE horse!

Because he's a baby, and compared to all the other babies there, he was the best one.

I'd rather see judges be supportive of a young horse's moments of brilliance than ultra critical of minor details. He may be getting a little uneven behind because he's already starting baby steps of piaffe/passage and is getting confused.

Babies are going to get distracted, and they're going to get nervous. I think it's very important to keep that in mind when judging these young horses. I'd hate to see the young horse tests turn into something like hunters, where they all clock around like machines and brilliance is frowned upon.

On another note, what is his breeding? He seems very light, and fairly narrow. Are his bloodlines one of the ones known for maturing later?

these tests are not judged on a movement by movement basis but the horse is given an essential score for the gait,s trainability ( submission) and potential (GI) the 5 scores you see

minor shy, moments of crookedness and imbalance are not unexpected and even in a conventional test given minor weight unless pervasive. This horse appears , at times, to perhaps over respond to half halt and had moments of distraction

but wholly katz that walk really did look like Marilyn Monroe walking away.!!!

the essential aspect of this horse appears, to me, grand gaits and temper and clearly a bit young in character. I hope this fine horse is treated with careful slow progression and not ground to a powder by the time he is 6
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Default thanks!

thanks you guys for taking the time.

probably did look different in person. he's just not my cup of tea from the video.

Default breeding

copper's mom:

he's Romanov on top (Rhodiamant/Grundstein) and Don Schufro on the bottom (yet another Donnerhall/Pik Bube)

beautiful

I was just watching the video of Driver's go in Verden last summer and I'm confused yet again by YH judging.
    Since you mention the judging there must have been some other horse that you thought had a better test.
    Can you link to that video?

I like him a lot! Just super, and I can't imagine what a horse that would top him would look like! It would be interesting to see the competition though, any links? On a side note he does look like he has something odd in the hind legs as he walks across the diagonal, but ehh, I'd still take him!

Default more my kind of horse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDH-NY1y1g

I think this video is from the first day and I can only assume that he had a less than stellar go the second day but I couldn't find the video.

Honeylips- since you were in Verden, perhaps you remember?

I also saw this stallion go at the Bundeschampionate last fall and didn't think he had the best ride but still a very elastic, supple horse that moves through his body. Ulf's wife's horse (Blickpunkt???) went much better in the Bundeschampionate finals and deservedly won in my opinion.

I know it's a somewhat about how the horse goes on a certain day, but in my YH experience, some judges look at the potential for the horse to be a successful FEI competitor and forgive 'baby' stuff and others don't.

I think when we first started judging these classes in the US, we were really bad about judging YH classes like a regular dressage test. We've become more informed, but still have a ways to go IMHO.

I did see a new set of judging guidelines on the USEF website and think they are just super. Congrats to Jennifer Keeler for getting those written down and posted. I know it must be challenging to start a new program, so many thanks to her for all her hard work.

That horse is very nice. But Driver has so much more "bounce", carrying power and elasticity. He makes some mistakes but that's irrelevant at a young horse competition. Its all about potential, rideability and expression. Driver IMO has a lot more quality than FR.