The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default help finding NOVA/MD boarding

Hey I am living in Arlington looking for boarding in Northern VA. I know VA equestrian has 800+ listings of farms but I'm finding it overwhelming looking at all the farm links then discovering the farm is 6 hours away from DC. It's getting frustrating. So in desperation... I'm here.

So here are the stats:
    I've got a 14.2ish quarter pony/hony gelding. I'm a fairly good amateur rider and ride him about 2x a week and usually supplement that with a ride by a pro or good barn kid 1x/week. He does w-t-c, crossrails and I'd like to teach him his changes and start learning courses. He's cute but not fancy, and I'm looking for a h/j place, but not necessarily a show barn. Just a nice low key place, but with a good enough trainer to help me with him. I also love to trail ride him, and someplace with trails abutting it would be amazing. I'd also like a place with all day turnout with a group. And an indoor ring for the winter. I live right on 66 and am a student so I can get to the barn at odd hours not during traffic... so I'm hoping for a place within an hour of Arlington (Rosslyn/Courthouse end).

Lots of wishes on this list. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you SO much in advance!!

EDITED to add Maryland to title, since a few people haev PM'ed me and said there are good options
    Last edited by French Twist; Apr. 16, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Bigeq.com First in Hunter/Jumper Sales Online

You might try calling Southdown in Great Falls, VA to see if there are any openings. This is a boarding barn with a small indoor and large jumping ring with trails throughout the neighborhood and along the Potomac River. There are several instructors who drive in to teach several days a week. One is a h/j instructor and another eventing/low level dressage. In turnout, mares are separate from geldings and there are a few smaller paddocks, several large pastures. All very low key and many of the boarders have boarded there for years. It's a good group. Some compete and many don't. The telephone # is (703) 759-9158 or the manager may be called at home and someone at the stables can give that number.

I've got nearly everything on your wishlist at my place, we're just light on trails. Shoot me a pm if you'd like more info

golden geldings Guest

PM