The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Nose Net thread - jumping with a Nose Net

Yep, I have a question of those who use a nose net and do hunters/jumper/eventers, ect. Did your horses have any issues having a nose net on when jumping???

I started using a nose net about 2-3 weeks ago and it really helps him on the flat. The nose net pretty much eliminates his headshaking while working. He might headshake at the walk but that's it. He's sneezy but he sneezes less after going for a few minutes.

But I have realized in my lesson last Saturday and tonight when I jumped him that he got really aggravated while jumping with the nose net. He got really ticked off and not acting himself, shaking his head side to side and today not wanting to go forward.

I'm thinking about for my next lesson to do flatwork with the nose net and then take it off to jump. Not sure if he will be able to jump and not head shake but I sure don't want a pissed horse. Or I wonder if he will get used to jumping with the nose net?

Apollo doesn't really headshake while jumping--my theory is that it's adrenaline, but I don't really know. I do jump him in the net at lessons and schools, because it keeps him happier when we're standing around, but I take it off at events for the jumping phases, because I'm afraid it will flip up and block his vision and I'll have to pull up. He also seems to get hotter more quickly when he gallops with the net on. He does toss his head some jumping with it on (distinct from the headshaking) but he's always been a little funny about being asked to come back/ shorten stride coming down to a fence--I'm not sure how much is that and how much is the net.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

does a hairnet not work?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    does a hairnet not work?
    Oops, I didn't specify. I am actually using a hair net. Works wonders on the flat...just not jumping.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

hmmm, I have one that jumps better in the hairnet, then we have to take it off for the flat classes....horses...lol
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

My horse isn't bothered by the nose net at all, even when jumping. If his HS-ing has flared up and I'm not using the net, then he will continue to HS even when we're jumping. However, I know of other horses that are HS'ers, but who do not HS when they have to focus on jumping.

If going without the net isn't an option, then perhaps try incorporating some poles and then cavallettis into your flat work to see if that desensitizes him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    hmmm, I have one that jumps better in the hairnet, then we have to take it off for the flat classes....horses...lol
    Wow, that's funny. Horses do keep us wondering what goes through their minds...

Lintesia, good idea about incorporating poles into the flatwork. Maybe also pop over small crossrails while flatting might work as well.

The funny thiing is the first few jumps he's ok, handles everything fine. Then as I jump more he got really aggravated.