The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Camcorder gurus...help!!

Does anyone have some tips on how to get a good clear video to put up on the web? Everyone I make looks fine on the camera, but when I transfer it, it becomes distorted. I have a Panasonic digital palmcorder. Thanks!

When you mean going to the web do you mean you can't get it to download to your computer clear? Or that you get it on a hosting site such as youtube and then it gets distorted? If its the first it has to do with the video program you are using, if its the latter it is probably because in order to host videos for certain sites they have to lower the quality to make it fit on their site. Kind of need more details as to what step the distortion happens at.

Most likely it has to do with the amount of compression. This could be in the settings for whatever program you use to get the video from the camera onto the computer, in which case you may need to look through the menus and find out how to get higher quality/lower compression. (This will, however, result in the size of the video files being larger and taking up more hard drive space on your computer.) It could also be happening when you load the video onto youtube or another sharing site. As mentioned above, video sharing sites typically compress the video to make the file smaller to store and quicker to load, but this results in quality loss.

Thanks for the help! What happens is when I load the video clip from the camera onto the computer and play it back on the computer, it gets distorted. I can't see the horses legs clearly...here is an example: http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/u...cyTrot.flvThis is a clear video on the camera screen. I will try to see if I can find compression settings in the manual.

Do the videos look like that as files on your computer before you load them onto photobucket? What happens if you view the file in something like Windows Media Player? Or are you somehow loading them directly from the camera to photobucket?

I am using the software program that came with the camera to transfer it from the camera to the computer. Yes, that is how they appear on my computer. They look like that when I play them with Window Media Player, or through the original software program.

The manual says I can get an iLink cable to transfer them directly to the computer. Would that help?

Get the iLink (also known as "firewire") cable. Open Windows Movie Maker (instead of using the software that came with your camera). Plug the camera into your computer, turn the camera on to "playback" mode and cue it up to the start of your video clip and hit "pause", wait for your computer to "recognize new hardware",

then on the Windows Movie Maker program, choose "Input from digital video camera." The program should locate your camera and show the paused video on the preview screen. Name the future video and click "record" then "end recording" when you are done. Then hit "finish."

The program will save as individual clips each section of the video (new clip for every start and stop). Drag these clips into the timeline at the bottom of the screen in the order you want. Add titles or other effects if you want.

When done, click "publish to this computer" and in the settings menu that pops up, choose "Best for viewing on this computer" (or somesuch similar). Name the file and put it somewhere you can remember.

After it encodes, it will likely play it back for you to see what it looks like.

Then go to whatever website you use to upload video for public viewing (I prefer YouTube because they seem to encode the videos better than most others).
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Thank you Sonesta! I tried to get a firewire cable today, but ended up having to order one online because my camcorder and PC have 2 different types of ports...it's never simple, is it?