The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free Appendix Mare - OH

"Spring" is a 20-ish year old appendix QH mare. She's spent many years teaching kids how to ride and is now ready for a nice retirement. Spring is not a riding candidate. She would make a lovely family pet as she is kind and loving. Spring lives in Willoughby, OH and is free to a good home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Spring2006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ngandJulie.gif
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Why is it that someone uses a horse for years, and then as soon as they "cannot be ridden", they try to pass on the expense of retirement to someone else? If you don't want to spend the money to keep her, why do you think anyone else does?

Horses are animals, not machines.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this is not my horse. I'm posting for a friend.
    This barn has done extensive vet work to help this mare feel comfortable. They feel she deserves to live out the rest of her years on nice green pasture and wanted to find a good retirement home for her. They aren't dumping her at some auction. They are trying to do right by her. She didn't just go lame and now they want to get rid of her. She's welcome to stay until the right home comes around and then she goes out on a contract.

I'm sorry but I agree...my horses live with me forever, I don't use them and when no longer useful-try to 'pawn' them off on someone else! They have taken care of me for years...now it's my turn. My first horse wasn't rideable for 4 years, but he lived here-he knew me and knew that I would never abandon him or send him to someone else.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Why is it that you feel it is wrong that someone tries to find a better place for this animal?

Maybe she sees other horses get picked for riding and attention and feels left out? Maybe she is no longer thriving in a high stress environment? Maybe there is someone out there really looking for a pet - an old crippled horse can be a very friendly companion for 0-20years. I have heard of a number of horses living into their 30s.

I loan one of my ponies out every summer to a family that enjoys seeing him run about and feeding him treats. They have no intention what so ever to ride him. He is just a pet for them. It matters not whether he is sound or not, they just like to interact with him. This mare can be someone's special pet versus another mouth to feed.

It may or may not happen that the right situation comes along, but I do not think you can judge that it is wrong to ask, unless it is YOU and YOUR animal. You just do not have all the facts of this particular case (neither do I, as I do not know the people asking, nor the horse in question).

Best of luck in finding just the right home for this critter.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I don't see the need to go off on Jenarby, when she is just trying to help out her friend who owns this mare.

The mare isn't Jen's horse, she is just doing a friend a favor by posting her ad here. If it annoys you so much (looking for a new home for her vs keeping her forever) then just PM Jen, get the owner's contact info, and let them know just how you feel.
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

we're not 'going off' on anyone, just letting them know that we think it stinks that they have used up this mare in lessons-allowing her to make them money over the years, yet THEY cannot find a pasture for her to live her life out.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Yeah, but "they" didn't post the original message on here did they?

All Jenarby is doing is passing the word along. Which is a kind thing to do, the more people who see the mare's info the more likely she will find somewhere to go, no?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Exactly Flash. Why is it that there are dozens of free, injured horses listed on this board...or broodmare only horses here and no one else picks on them about keeping their horses? It's usually that those people can only have one horse and it gets injured, needs a place to go so it is posted here. This barn is trying to find a nice home for this horse. As I said, she'll only go to the right home, on a contract that has been checked for references. They recently took a horse back that they gave away because the new owner lost her job. They care deeply about this mare and are trying to do the right thing. It is a big A hunter barn that would like this mare to be able to go somewhere quieter with her own person instead of having to stay in the middle of a busy show barn where she will not have nearly as much individual attention as she did when she was being ridden. I do not know the specifics of the situation or how long she's been retired. I know her knees are arthritic and that the vet thought it was best to retire her, which they have.
    I'm sorry that you feel how you do. However, I feel that they ARE doing the right thing by this mare and am more than happy to help spread the word.
    I've been on the receiving end of a nice, sound gelding form them that wasn't right for their program, free of charge....so I'm trying to help them out.