The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

havealittlehope Guest

Default Working student positions?

Hi guys, I'm new here! My name is Jordan!

I have been on the hunt for a working student position(a long term one) for a few months now with no luck.
    I don't have a lot of showing experience, but I have been riding for 10 years. I ride normally 4 days a week. I would love a position at an eventing barn, but I would gladly take one at a dressage barn too. I guess I am just looking for some input on where I should look, if you guys have any suggestions?
    I am graduating on the 30th of May, and then I have family vacation from the 17th to the 27th, but then after that I am looking to start somewhere. Locally there aren't any barns that take working students, so I am looking throughout the US. I have used yard and groom, and gotten in contact with a few people, but nothing has really come of it.
    If you guys have any advice, that would be much appreciated.
    Thanks guys !

I know of several positions. E-mail me at margaret@mythiclandingevents.com for details.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Thumbs up

You may want to contact Caroline Atherholt in VA-she has taken working students in the past and is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

havealittlehope Guest

Okay thank you!

Also a note on replying via Yard and Groom and not hearing back.... If the job lister isn't a premium member of Yard and Groom and you reply via their site instead of just emailing the employer directly, the employer can't see your inquiry unless they offer up $250. So if the yard and groom ad offers an email address, use THAT, because their messaging system might not let your prospective employer see your response at all.

Happy hunting!

havealittlehope Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer08 View Post
    Also a note on replying via Yard and Groom and not hearing back.... If the job lister isn't a premium member of Yard and Groom and you reply via their site instead of just emailing the employer directly, the employer can't see your inquiry unless they offer up $250. So if the yard and groom ad offers an email address, use THAT, because their messaging system might not let your prospective employer see your response at all.

Happy hunting!
    Ohh! okay haha Thank you

E-mail anyone and everyone. Even if you dont think they may offer a position, asking never hurts. I had no clue LAZ would take on a working student, but I e-mailed her and asked and I got it. Get together a resume and send it to EVERYONE! I did that with others and they were all friendly and if they didnt offer what I was looking for, they sent me in the right direction.
    Good luck!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I know Penny Rowland in Canada was looking for one.

And do your homework on the people you end up considering. You don't want to end up with someone successful but toxic.

I was Caroline's working student last summer- she's incredible, I love her Not sure if she's able to take on one long term but hey, ask away! The key is asking everyone, if they don't offer a position they may know someone that does. The horse community is so connected, if you're diligent you're bound to find someone!! Good luck!
    T

havealittlehope Guest

Quote Originally Posted by piaffequeen View Post
    You may want to contact Caroline Atherholt in VA-she has taken working students in the past and is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Do you know how i would get a hold of her? I can't seem to find any contact information!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by havealittlehope View Post
    Do you know how i would get a hold of her? I can't seem to find any contact information!
    You have much to learn little Grasshopper. Try her website. It's the first thing that comes up when you put her name into a search engine.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Get in touch with Phyllis Dawson - her website is teamwindchase.com. She is fantastic to work for and you'll have opportunities to learn about many, many aspects of the industry.

Also, in case you didn't realize it - many working student positions require YOU to pay THEM for the privilege. Be very direct up front about the costs associated with working-studenthood.