The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Huh? I don't even understand the original thread. Someone got a mare from an auction that was in bad shape and?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I guess I don't consider the mare to be any better off than she was before if she is underweight, lame, dragging a hind leg and put in draw reins and forced to canter. She went from neglect to abuse as far as I am concerned.

I agree with you; the first thing that came to mind was "they tried to ride her?" Followed immediately by "they tried to ride her in draw reins?"

Good lord. I hope that's the only lapse in judgment.

I wish I could report her to animal control.

I agree with you Laurie.

I don't have the energy to really type much on the subject, because some other stuff is sapping my will to live today. But yeah, I think you're right.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Laurie, I read the thread. You made your disgust known there, so what point are you trying to make dragging it into Off Course? Except for deliberately trying to start a trainwreck, I don't see any reason to have brought it here.

FWIW, I agree that the mare shouldn't have been ridden, especially if she really was in the condition as described by the adoptee.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I agree with you; the first thing that came to mind was "they tried to ride her?" Followed immediately by "they tried to ride her in draw reins?"

Good lord. I hope that's the only lapse in judgment.
    I doubt it will be, though. This is the problem I have with all the "pretty pony let's save them all" groups; there just aren't that many people qualified to take in a horse that needs major rehab (physical or mental), and I agree with the op that this mare is not better off.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought it over here but I am REALLY freaking pissed about this and thought people should know what the hell was going on over on that forum. The person is being made up to be a hero when in reality at least in my opinion she is an abuser. The horse would be better off dead than constantly tortured. I guess I should have reported it to the mods instead. Maybe I should do that now.

It makes me sick that someone who so clearly has NO clue what they're doing is going to try to rehab this horse. It's better to put a horse down when they're uncomfortable than to just feed them more and continue making them uncomfortable.

And I think whoever said the bit about the racing is just as ignorant. You race horses, so that makes this idiots clearly poor judgement ok? Even wonderful?

Bologna.

Laurierace - good for you for being bold enough to speak your mind on this!

It IS atrocious that they took in this poor horse and hastened to do a ride evaluation on it, and then rushed to report here what they did, as if that makes it all OK to abuse the poor thing. I wonder about the motives of some *rescuers* in general anyway. It seems sometimes as if they feel since they agreed to take on the animals care, give it a home/stall, feed it up, vet it, that gives them the idea they should be in possession of a diamond in the rough, some super deal. "Look what I'm doing for you (dog, horse), you'd better be something super to make my efforts worthwhile".

Certainly not every person who rescues would feel this way, but what on earth is this gal's mad hurry to see what she might have? By her own report, this poor nag should have MONTHS off, to rest and recover before even seeing a piece of tack, much less a rider.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Yes, thank you Laurie for bringing this to "Off Topic". We do still have "free speech" in this country--don't we? I like to think Laurie posted this here because not everyone would have noticed the thread otherwise.

This acts as a reminder that when we offer horses "free" we have to do a better job of checking out the potential adopter! While on the surface this adopter appears to have made the horse's life better it's clear that when it comes to "training" this person appears to lack common sense and empathy. A vet check before attempting to ride the horse would have been advisable especially in light of the "dark urine". That's either from dehydration or tying up and should have been addressed before any kind of forced exercise.

Ugh.
    "One person can change the world, and everyone should try." ~John F. Kennedy~

Everytime I even consider parting with one of my horses...I read a thread such as that one...and just get sick to my stomach.

There are too many people out there who really haven't a clue when it comes to horses...even ones who think that they do.

What should have happened (IMHO)...horse comes in, have vet out to examine why horse is dragging hind leg, why urine is dark and smelly....once you have an answer to these things/know what should be done...then turn the poor thing out in a nice pasture for a few months and let her rest/put weight on/destress.

Not grab the drawreins and make her canter the minute you get her home.

I'm with the OP on this one...and I hope the person who took Diva in will read this and try to do right by this horse, if it was truly a judemental error....then make it right now.

I hate the mentaility of "when all else fails, just slap those drawreins on, that'll get her head down".

Sigh.

Yes, thank you Laurie for bringing this to "Off Topic". We do still have "free speech" in this country--don't we? I like to think Laurie posted this here because not everyone would have noticed the thread otherwise.
    Yes I would not have seen it had she not put it in here.

Poor horse. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Laurie, I read the thread. You made your disgust known there, so what point are you trying to make dragging it into Off Course? Except for deliberately trying to start a trainwreck, I don't see any reason to have brought it here.
    IMO, the trainwreck was already over before Laurie got there. Now, as often happens to her I'm sure, she just gets to go along and sweep up the pieces. I'm sure it gets pretty old for people that are trying to truly get horses out of a bad situation and into a good one, to see crap like this happen. I'm also sure it isn't the first time.

She brings up a good point that we all should keep in mind.

Just because someone "rescues" or takes on an unwanted animal (Angel, anyone?), doesn't mean they SHOULD or that it is in the best interests of the animal.

Keep on Laurie...Never be quiet on such an important topic. Keep doing your good work, and out the bad ones whenever you can.

NJR

Thanks Laurie for reposting over here. I would not have seen that thread either.

To Diva's new home: lots of advice and feedback here. Pay attention to it.

I agree Laurie....drives me insane. Great if you're going to take the horse and do right by it...but this?

Let's try not to intimidate and chase off the adopter just yet. There's a chance this person WILL listen to reason. Lots of good advice to be had from people with tons of experience, but it will benefit no one if the "adopter" decides not to come back to COTH because "people are mean there.''
    Do we know where the mare is, geography-wise?

That poor horse.
    If Laurie had not brought it over here I would have never read either thread. Thank you Laurie.

What a shame, the horse appears to have gone from frying pan to fire.
    It's what happens when people taking horses are not checked out- I see way too much of that happening on ABR these days, and I worry about the horses, all of them.

Its true that I didn't handle this very well. Any potential opportunity to educate the new owner about the error of her ways is surely gone now. I hope the horse doesn't suffer more than she is already as a result. There are fates worse than death however and this one sure as hell sounded like one to me.