The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare may be pregnant

I have already posted in the "of course" forum, because I am not breeding a sport horse, but I have a question. I had my mare vet checked she may be about 18 days along at the time, right away while doing the ultrasound she said that my mare is pregnant and showed me the round sac, explained it a bit to me, then went on to check the rest of her uterus, which looks good, when she went back to find the sac she could not,so she said that she was going to have to say that the mare is not pregnant. Has anyone ever had this happen to them, and what was it if not a sac?

A follicle or cycst. But she should know the difference, and yes it has happened to me when I used a person that wasn't a professional. Still grumpy about the wasted money and exposing my mare to her. Lesson learned, I will only use a pro now.
    The professional could nail a "dot" in no time flat. I suggest you try a repo vet. Then you will know if she really is pregnant and most important - if there is twins.
    Good luck

This site kicks butt, so does the lady that runs it.
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com/index.shtml

I'm really grumpy about wasted money, I will get another vet out. I would think you could find a follicle or cycst again too, she said it she could see it just one more time she would confirm her pregnancy, but just caught glimpses of what we originally saw. Thanks for your advice.

Is she back in heat? At 18 days, she should be almost ready to breed again. Did you confirm ovulation on the breeding cycle? It is possible she could be 15 days? If so, the embryo would not be fixed, and I would have more confidence that it was just moving around and not found.

A cyst also should not be moving, and a follicle is on the ovary, not in the uterus.

If she was bred, and held on to the follicle longer than expected, or brought up a 2nd follicle, that could be the less mature, "moving pregnancy".

After years of watching ultrasounds, I can immediately spot the pregnancy as the vet ultrasounds, and we already know if the mare has cysts due to u/s before breeding, so that is usually not too hard to tell, and a follicle looks totally different (like someone said, not to mention not in the same area anyway). Just sounds like the person does not have very much experience. At first I didn't know which way was up either. LOL I can spot the stuff now (edema, fluid, cysts, follicles, etc) but can't actually do the ultrasounds. The pregnancy should have been perfectly round and at that time about 18-25mm I would guess?

I am with Fairview, if she was not 18 days and more like 15, the vesicle may not have tried to attach to the wall yet and might move around, so you sometimes have to look for it again as it may have moved, and sometimes pretty quick! Amazing to watch! She also should have an active CL still on the ovulated ovary if she is pregnant.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    The pregnancy should have been perfectly round and at that time about 18-25mm I would guess?
    Actually, I believe it begins to lose it shape by then.

She didn't say anything about an actvie CL on her ovaries,just said they looked fine and she did not say anything about follicles. She said that her uterus did not have any fluid in it, so if she is pregnant that she should be fine to carry a baby. I'm new at this so pardon my ignorance, but I think what we were looking at when she said she was pregnant, was located close to the horn? It was round, I wouldn't say perfect. I have looked at ultrasound pics on the net and the pics of 14-18 day sacs, look just like pretty much what she showed me.

We got a late start on a mare last year and ended up inseminating her in July (no pregnancy) and then early August. Vet check at 18 days after August insemination resulted in diagnosis of "I think that's just a cyst." Vet was fresh out of vet school and really wanted to be working with cows instead of horses (has since left our local practice).

Our "cyst" is now due to arrive in July in the shape of a foal!

Oh wow! Congrats on your little cyst! My vet never said anything about cysts, follicles, Cl, etc., just at the very beginning saw I'll call it the "black hole" that's kind of what it looked like to me, and said yep she is pregnant, then couldn't find it again.

From your original topic in Off Course, you mentioned that the mare was covered by a colt, and may have resulted in an unplanned pregnancy, correct? Now if the mare is in fact pregnant, you want to keep the foal?

IMO if the mare IS pregnant, I would (sorry) terminate the pregnancy if it was an accidental breeding by a should-be (or soon to be) gelding.

It was an accident, but that's not the route I will take if she is pregnant, but I guess for the time being I'll just go with what the vet said at the end of the ultrasound. The owners do not plan to geld him his registered and going to a farm for breeding (future breeding).

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Actually, I believe it begins to lose it shape by then.
    Truly you may be right. If it was perfectly round it was probably not an 18 day preg. We always check ours around 14 days and at that time they are round, so I forget it starts to change at a point. By day 28 it's totally different!

But anyway, you can keep teasing her and if she does not come back in to season, you have your answer I guess.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com