The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Damn electric tape fencing...

Mare got her hind leg wrapped up in it today at the barn I board at. Vet was out, says it is superficial abrasion. Mare took the skin off the front of her cannon on the rear left hind. She also had to get a small stitch in her gaskin area. (From the fence post?) So who knows how much internal damage she did from the struggle.

Anyone have some words of advice for this kind of injury? She's got a pressure bandage on and will have it on until Monday unless it bunches up. Vet gave her an antibiotic shot and she's getting banamine for the next 2 days. You can tell it hurts but she is putting weight on it. She's in her stall that has an attached paddock to keep her away from the rest of the mares. But her best friend is hanging out on the other side of the fence to keep her company.

*sigh*
    First, say to yourself what you would be. Then do what you have to do. ~Epictectus

Think of how bad it would have been if it had been wire

Yes, my boy has wrapped his leg in my tape too. Superficial abrasions, though they did weep for several days - big ol' "rope" burn. My tape breaks relatively easily, so there was no struggling really.

You're doing all you can - these actually take a really long time to heal, though assuming no damage was done to the internal structures, shouldn't cause lameness problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Think of how bad it would have been if it had been wire
    Or that electric rope stuff. That might as well be wire if you get it wrapped around a limb. I've seen deglovings with that as well as with high tensile.

I've had electric tape fencing since 1995 and not one serious injury ever. I've had a lot of horses in it too. Our current farm has a population of 40+ horses consisting of mares, foals, stallions, young stock, and older riding horses.

You are right, if it were wire it could have been so much worse. Vet told me probably a month off at the minimum.

Just praying for no damage to the internal parts.
    First, say to yourself what you would be. Then do what you have to do. ~Epictectus

Thumbs up

FWIW I've seen horrific injuries from wood as well.

Horses are accidents waiting to happen.

With any luck, your mare will heal well. I hope the vet gave you additional antibiotics to go with the one injection.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by TheParisienne View Post
    You are right, if it were wire it could have been so much worse. Vet told me probably a month off at the minimum.

Just praying for no damage to the internal parts.
    I hope you didn't take my post to be a "pshaw, that's nothing to worry about" post

What reason(s) did your vet give for suggesting a month off? Did the tape not break, and she has secondary injuries from torquing her leg?

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    FWIW I've seen horrific injuries from wood as well.

Horses are accidents waiting to happen.
    Same here...I have seen some awful injuries on wood fences also. No fence is 100% safe...totally agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Or that electric rope stuff. That might as well be wire if you get it wrapped around a limb. I've seen deglovings with that as well as with high tensile.

I've had electric tape fencing since 1995 and not one serious injury ever. I've had a lot of horses in it too. Our current farm has a population of 40+ horses consisting of mares, foals, stallions, young stock, and older riding horses.
    Thanks for the input on the electric braided rope! I didn't know that. We have no climb but I want to partition off a small portion of my fields that were favorite spots to give them extra rest; asked hubby to get the thick elec tape but he says "We have some."

Riiight. We didn't have much. So I had to go to a different store and wanted wider tape but they only had the thin stuff like we had used before, which I didn't want so I thought I'd try the braided rope ----- now I'm gonna worry so I'll take it down. He's not gonna be happy w/me. . . but if he had got what I asked for. . . . .

A horse at a barn I used to board at got his rear leg wrapped in ElectroBraid fencing, that claims to be the "safest" fencing. It cut through all the tendons, except one and that one was about 25% cut. It, also, cut into the bone. The whole skin of the lower leg drooped down like a sock and he eventually did slough is hoof. It was a truly horrific injury. The owner tried valiantly, and even took a second mortgage on her house, to save the horse, but ended up putting him down a couple months later, when he developed a bone infection. ElectroBraid claims to insure your horse against injury by the fence, but even with the attending vet contacting them, they never paid a dime. I dispise that stuff.

That is awful, luckeys71 . Thanks for the PSA too...poor woman, and poor horse.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

yes, I think the OP should be saying thank god for electric tape. I like electric tape because it will break. I like wooden fences for the perimeter because I think that or vinyl (too expensive) are safest for perimeter fencing

People always say horses can get injured on any kind of fence and that is true but come on even in my not huge circle of acquaintances I know of several horrendous injuries from the braided rope (degloving). I'm not going into details because the owners may be reading this but they definitely know it.

Sure no doubt some horses hurt themselves on a wooden fence or with tape but I wish there were some reliable stats on this.

Anecdotally and not scientifically, the braided rope, the high tensile, the wire and the barbed wire have individually caused a hell of a lot more injuries than the wooden/tape fences . Personal observation only.

People hate to hear that though because it is so much cheaper and easier to use electric braided rope

As I said, I wish there were stats but that requires people to report the injuries to some central database

The companies offer to pay the vet bills so people don't say much about it.

I spend a lot of money on fencing to make sure I have the safest fencing I can afford.

I even wonder of electric braid is more $$ than tape? I guess it depends on the tape. I fenced in almost 10000 linear feet of pasture, posts included (paid someone to pound the posts, hubby and I put up all the Horseguard tape) for under $5k.