The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    She is fabulous, named "Tia" (yes i know it means aunt in spanish i like short, vowel ending names) great dog!!!!!!!!!!!! cute as a bug
    Well, there's Tia Carrare (or however her last name is spelled) who made an appearance in the Wade & Garth movie, so ...
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    Well, there's Tia Carrare (or however her last name is spelled) who made an appearance in the Wade & Garth movie, so ...

And 'Trouble in Little Tokyo' along side Dolf Lundgren....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    The breed is lab. I have had several, and trained them extensively. With my prior breeders (not in business any more) I was able to go and see the parents, watch them test the pups, interact with the pups. I am looking for an obedience dog- for advanced obedience.

So, after considering this carefully I decided to pass on the breeder. I called around to the humane societies locally and found one with a litter of lab/shepherd mix puppies, about 7 weeks old. I went there, and they let me take each pup to a quiet room where i did the temprament testing (from my trusty copy of The ART of Raising a Puppy by the monks at New Skete) and found a great little female, all black, tiny white spot on chest. Just the type I was looking for, should do well with obedience work.

FIRST......CONGRATS on your new puppy and wishing you many joyous years together!!!! (love to snuggle puppies!)....

I'll assume that since you said you had previously done extensive training with other dogs that you know you won't be able to "compete" in AKC sanctioned obedience trials with a non-purebred dog?......Training obedience was a BLAST for me.....and I'm proud to note together our red/rust Dobie and I earned her first obedience title just after her 2nd birthday!!!(and ironically on April 1!!!)......Good luck to you and your new puppy, "Tia" (put pics up when you can!).....from Holly & "Catawba's Irrepressible Katie, CD

Quote Originally Posted by Silver~Image~Farm View Post
    FIRST......CONGRATS on your new puppy and wishing you many joyous years together!!!! (love to snuggle puppies!)....

I'll assume that since you said you had previously done extensive training with other dogs that you know you won't be able to "compete" in AKC sanctioned obedience trials with a non-purebred dog?......Training obedience was a BLAST for me.....and I'm proud to note together our red/rust Dobie and I earned her first obedience title just after her 2nd birthday!!!(and ironically on April 1!!!)......Good luck to you and your new puppy, "Tia" (put pics up when you can!).....from Holly & "Catawba's Irrepressible Katie, CD
    I believe that obedience, agility and rally are open to all dogs as of 2010. You just need a $35 card.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I believe that obedience, agility and rally are open to all dogs as of 2010. You just need a $35 card.
    I stand corrected! (We got our title 4 yrs. ago!)....THAT is great news!!! Thanks for clarifying! The "training" part is so much fun!!!Sounds like a good decision by AKC!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

We're breeders of dogs who are very particular about where they go, but do encourage visits after all proper hoops are jumped through-not farm dogs though.

www.Starbornhavanasilkdogs.com

but all our farm dogs have always been rescues that have found us.

Just a side note: I think there are more performance oriented organizations out there than the AKC,
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    For AKC, the trial or club has the option of opening to mixed breeds I think. However most clubs are definitely advertising they allow the mixed breeds that have the canine partners number from AKC. I was at a trial last weekend that had several mixed breeds. AKC does want you to spay or neuter but I think it is an honor system.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Just a side note: I think there are more performance oriented organizations out there than the AKC,
    You are right, for obedience you have St. Huberts and UKC, probably more. For agility you can do CPE, USDAA, NADAC, etc etc. It makes your head spin.

But I like AKC rally, obedience, and agility just because there are lots of trials near by. I have gotten a St. Hubert's number and a CPE number and plan to get NADAC. biggest problem is learning all the different rules!

PICS??????

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    You are right, for obedience you have St. Huberts and UKC, probably more. For agility you can do CPE, USDAA, NADAC, etc etc. It makes your head spin.

But I like AKC rally, obedience, and agility just because there are lots of trials near by. I have gotten a St. Hubert's number and a CPE number and plan to get NADAC. biggest problem is learning all the different rules!

And I thought learning all the different clubs was hard!

Hey, congrats on the new dog and on getting a shelter dog! I believe the AKC situation is that while we with mutts will be able to pay a registration fee to gain entry to performance events, our mutts will only be able to compete against each other - so as to preserve, however artificially, the value of the purebreds. Somehow, the value of purebreds is not damaged by the AKC's continuing interest in cultivating the business of large-scale commercial breeders, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    A: rescues that mark all the pit bulls as lab crosses...
    I always wondered if people shopping for a shelter Lab got annoyed by this. Pity the poor person looking for a terrier, which is the other way shelters prevaricate about what they're trying to unload.

Breeder letting you pick the pup out of the litter is a big red flag to run far away. But why wouldn't the breeder want you to come out and visit now and again? see the mom? the conditions the pups are raised in? help in the pup socialization?

umm, how exactly do you intend to do "advanced obedience" with a non-AKC-registered- purebred? I know AKC recently changed their "mutts over my dead body" attitude, but most dog clubs I know don't have any plans to allow non-purebreds to come compete in their obedience trials.

If she ends up looking enough like a lab, you can always get her a PAL/ILP number through AKC and compete as a "purebred" You fill out a form, send in some $ and a couple of pictures and proof of neutering and you get "registered". I don't believe they are strict about if your dog really is purebred or not as long as they look close enough!

there are tons of non-AKC competitive venues out there for everything except formal obedience- APDT Rally is a demanding obedience sport, far far more difficult than the ridiculous watered-down version of rally that AKC offers. Ditto agility, all the best agility is offered by non-AKC venues. But formal obedience remains firmly under the control of AKC. St. Hubert exists but there are practically no trials anywhere that I have noticed.
    It is possible that since AKC made their recent rule change that you'll see clubs opening formal obedience up to non-purebreds, but like I mentioned, the AKC ruling allows each club to decide whether or not to allow non-purebreds at their trials, and most I know of are dragging their feet and objecting to it.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Hey, congrats on the new dog and on getting a shelter dog! I believe the AKC situation is that while we with mutts will be able to pay a registration fee to gain entry to performance events, our mutts will only be able to compete against each other - so as to preserve, however artificially, the value of the purebreds. Somehow, the value of purebreds is not damaged by the AKC's continuing interest in cultivating the business of large-scale commercial breeders, but I digress.
    You must not be up on the program, this is not true if you would read the AKC site. They made a change almost immediately after announcing the initial program that Canine Partners compete head to head, I think even same title. And it is up to the host giving club as to whether to allow them or not. So far this spring I think I have seen only one club that didn't announce in huge letters that their obedience and rally was open to canine partners. Yours and Wendy's MMV but I have been competing this spring in AKC rally and obedience and only seen the one case. My guess is that this was an oversite. They draw a very small entry, next year you can be sure they will offer to canine partners to try and draw some entries.
    Last edited by Hannahsmom; Apr. 21, 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    You mean Wayne's World?

Congrats on the new puppy!

Back on the other side of things of "is it normal?"

This is how it has always worked when I purchased a puppy from a reputable breeder:

1. I check out the breeder's website for information on their dogs, their program, titles, etc. of their dogs.

2. I send an intial e-mail or phone call to the breeder.

3. Breeder sends an e-mail/phone call back, and a puppy application is sent (so the breeder can see what I'm looking for, my experience, etc.)

4. Breeder tells me, "I think Suzie Q and JimBob would produce a puppy that would suit your needs. They will be bred XXX 2010. Here is some info about Suzie Q.......Here is some info about JimBob......Here are the websites to verify their health clearances, and here are some photos of them. Suzie Q's breeding is this.....JimBob's breeding is that. The reason I think this pairing would work for you is because ...........If you would like to come down and meet SuzieQ (or Suzie Q and JimBob,) let me know.

5. I say, "oh yes, Suzie Q and JimBob sound like they will produce what I'm looking for."

6. Breeder gives me a contract to look over.

7. I put down a deposit.

8. Dogs bred. Puppies produced. Breeder announces girls and boys. Puppies grow. Breeder goes through litter and picks and chooses what puppies would suit what person on their waiting list.

9. Breeder contacts me and says, "I think Puppy #1 and Puppy #4 would be a good choice for you based on ........."

10. Breeder allows prospective homes (from waiting list) to visit puppies after X number of weeks....and by appointment only (so as not to have eight people all at the same time there/individual chit chat.)

11. I choose Puppy #4 after checking both out.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    You mean Wayne's World?
    Hey - I got one of the names right. Gimme a break.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Congratuations on your new addition! As the AKC/showing discussion, etc. isn't really farm-related, we're going to close this one down now.

Thanks!
    Mod 1