The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have heard breeders take great pain to match the right pup with the right home not just because a bad match reflects bad on their product (since we all know, it's never the home )

However, almost all the people I talked to who are involved in breeding want to meet you, and you to meet the parents of your prospective pup.

They don't want anybody running through their property willy nilly, but they want to meet you and get a feel for you. And not just because they dealt with the whckos that thought breed x would look great next to the Macaw in the sunroom - whattayamean the doog poops and sheds and barks and the bird eats furniture?!

Sooo, if a breeder won't see you...I'd pass, from all I have learned about serious breeders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yeah, picking the puppy = normal. Not allowing you on the property and directing you to a website that could be pictures from anywhere? RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

I second the question, btw, what breed?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My in-laws got a german shorthair pup sight unseen, she was shipped to them by the breeder, and honestly, this was one dog that I just could not like (and I like almost all dogs). I know part of it was that my in-laws spoiled the dog rotten, but she really should have gone to a hunting home, not a retirement community! She had no manners, was like a bull in a china shop in the house, and needy on top of it all.

Personally I would not buy a dog that I had not met. We contacted one breeder in our area about brittanies, and they were a bit over the top on their requirements, but they would let you come meet the puppies when they were old enough. We ended up getting two mixed breed pups from a rescue instead.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

The breed is lab. I have had several, and trained them extensively. With my prior breeders (not in business any more) I was able to go and see the parents, watch them test the pups, interact with the pups. I am looking for an obedience dog- for advanced obedience.

So, after considering this carefully I decided to pass on the breeder. I called around to the humane societies locally and found one with a litter of lab/shepherd mix puppies, about 7 weeks old. I went there, and they let me take each pup to a quiet room where i did the temprament testing (from my trusty copy of The ART of Raising a Puppy by the monks at New Skete) and found a great little female, all black, tiny white spot on chest. Just the type I was looking for, should do well with obedience work.

Congratulations! I bet she'll be hardier and live longer and give you love forever.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    The breed is lab. I have had several, and trained them extensively. With my prior breeders (not in business any more) I was able to go and see the parents, watch them test the pups, interact with the pups. I am looking for an obedience dog- for advanced obedience.

So, after considering this carefully I decided to pass on the breeder. I called around to the humane societies locally and found one with a litter of lab/shepherd mix puppies, about 7 weeks old. I went there, and they let me take each pup to a quiet room where i did the temprament testing (from my trusty copy of The ART of Raising a Puppy by the monks at New Skete) and found a great little female, all black, tiny white spot on chest. Just the type I was looking for, should do well with obedience work.

AWESOME!!!

gratz!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Every time I have picked a puppy, it has worked out. Every time the breeder has picked for me, it has not.
    Right now I have a dog who was picked for me and his temperament is so hyper I can barely stand being around him. He has earned the nickname of "Crazy Dog", he is so nutty !

Good for you.

That would be the day I would buy anything sight unseen. How breeders can get away with that is amazing - maybe they have something to hide.

My son searched high and low for a Bull Terrier pup - searched uk as well. Finally one was shipped from Ontario - it was so wrong - it must have been a bit CP. She agreed to let us put it down and sent us another one who has turned out to be a delight .... but we knew something was wrong with it the day it arrived and it is unbelievable that the breeder did not notice especially when compared to the other littermates.

For the Lab addicts:

I've gotten 2 dogs from these folks, and will probably get a 3rd in the next year or two. They are wonderful to work with and breed dogs that are smart and calm and beautiful.

http://www.cedarwoodkennels.com/

My last puppy (who's now over 10!) was shipped to me sight unseen, but then I'd met the breeder before for my 1st dog, and had talked with her extensively on the phone prior to the second dog.

I'd go along with that, too - since you have a relationship with them.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    I called around to the humane societies locally and found one with a litter of lab/shepherd mix puppies, about 7 weeks old. I went there, and they let me take each pup to a quiet room where i did the temprament testing (from my trusty copy of The ART of Raising a Puppy by the monks at New Skete) and found a great little female, all black, tiny white spot on chest. Just the type I was looking for, should do well with obedience work.
    Good for you, sounds like a wonderful start. It's great now that AKC allows mixed breeds to compete, I was just at an obedience trial this weekend and there were several. Of course there are so many breeds now, it is hard to know what are what. BTW, I agree with all the opinions given on how that breeder you contacted was very fishy. I have several show dogs bought from breeders and they had me over to vet ME out!

OP.....you get a standing ovation from me.

Loff pound pups! Esp with pics!

The local ASPCA has a 1 week refund on adoptions. That way you really get to know the dog and it knows you bef ore you get a bad egg.

Congrats.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

The reason why people don't want you on their property is because of diseases. a good friend who was a breeder, did allow people to come and see the puppies, well...one day, people came who just came from several other places 'looking' for a puppy---they also brought parvo to her kennel!! took her a year, and walking in and out of bleach everytime to get rid of it. I understand not allowing it-plus all the people coming in and out, not showing up, etc.?? Been there, done that.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

that is great,op!!
    smartest dog we owned was that mix. brilliant dog!!

I know a lady who breeds Siamese, got one of mine from her, and she doesn't want people there until pickup day and especially doesn't want people looking over and handling the young kittens. The reason is diseases.

But she will take great pains matching them up, give references from satisfied customers (I've since been contacted by a potential customer wanting my experience), and was there afterward for support when my plane-shipped kitten refused to eat at first. Kitten was fine, just too much to explore, and eating was boring. It took her a day or two to settle enough to really eat well.

Anybody who doesn't want you on the property at all and seems to be hiding behind a website, run. And I'd make sure I had SEVERAL conversations and preferably a previous relationship with someone doing all the matchmaking for me.

My new farm dog was matched with me sight unseen, but this was by the best horse-people matcher I've ever met, who knew me. If anybody else called and said they knew just the perfect dog for me that they, not I, picked, I'd turn them down flat. I did still get to inspect the dog at her former place and took her on trial, but she is, indeed, just what I wanted (other than the hair. Ah, well, daily vacuuming is good exercise. )

Yeah for the new pup!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    OP.....you get a standing ovation from me.
    Me too! Congrats on the new pup.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

She is fabulous, named "Tia" (yes i know it means aunt in spanish i like short, vowel ending names) great dog!!!!!!!!!!!! cute as a bug

Pictures of Tia! Must have pictures!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    For the Lab addicts:

I've gotten 2 dogs from these folks, and will probably get a 3rd in the next year or two. They are wonderful to work with and breed dogs that are smart and calm and beautiful.

http://www.cedarwoodkennels.com/

My last puppy (who's now over 10!) was shipped to me sight unseen, but then I'd met the breeder before for my 1st dog, and had talked with her extensively on the phone prior to the second dog.
    My friends got a wonderful dog from them and use him for obedience and field trials. Great dog!