The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boot recommendations

Hi Everybody,

So I currently have a pair of petrie's, which are extremely nice and well made.

However, I'm considering selling them and getting a new pair of boots...

I've discovered that I really just don't like riding in boots that are that stiff. Yes, they've dropped, I've been wearing them for a while now... i've had them almost a year (but only ride 4/5x a week, if that, etc) but they're stiff. They're supposed to be stiff.

I recently stared riding in my half chaps and paddock boots again, and omg i prefer that sooo much more, and my trainer seems to be ok with either of my boot choices.

So here's my question... could you guys recommend some decently priced tall boots that have more of a chap/paddock boot feel? Something that's not very stiff, something that gives me more feel and freedom?

You might want to look for dress boot or field boots for hunters. I have a pair of dress boots (not dressage boot) that are soft from day one.

I hadn't thought of that. Any brands you'd recommend?

Do you show in them? I definitely want boots I can school & show in

Yes I show both hunter and dressage in them. I don't school in them though because, well, I'm lazy... Don't want to wipe down the boots everytime I ride and don't want to try to clean out all the caked mud before a show so I normally school in my paddock/half chap. They are quite soft and offer quite similiar feeling to paddock boots/half chap, so it does not take much accustomed to at all when I switch over to wear them to show.

The paif I have is "TallyHo". They were semi-custom (big calf + small feet + short leg ) and after putting in a zipper, I paid somewhere around $350 for them a few years ago. I will say the leather is pretty nice, nicer than some of the pricer ones.

If you have itty-bitty feet, there is someone selling off Ariat Medalists on eBay in smaller sizes. I have a pair I bought a few years ago, and they're awesome. Softer boot, no break-in time.
    They're older stock from when Ariat quality was halfway decent...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I just got a pair of the Dublin Aristocrat dress boots and they fit really, really well and are pretty dang soft right out of the box. I know a while back there were some quality issues, especially with the zipper, but I hear tell they improved on that (?).

Time will tell on the zipper, but they are soft and pretty supple around the ankle- they do need to break in a bit, but I rode in them immediately and did not suffer, ha! And at $159, you can't beat the price!

I started off (decades ago) riding jumpers. I've always riden in Dehner's.