The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare may be pregnant

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My mare was covered by a colt and may be in foal. My vet came out yesterday to do an ultrasound, my mare could be between 14-18 days along, right away the vet saw a roundish sac and said yes she is pregnant, we talked about what we were looking at for a minute or so , then she proceeded to inspect her uterus, when she tried to find the sac again, she could not find it, so she said that she would have to say that she is not pregnant, but if I didn't want a baby I should give her a shot, but if she is I don't want to do that. The vet was very honest and said she does occassionally miss a pregnancy. She even knocked some off the price because she said I would probably need her to come back out in the spring to palpate her. She said what she saw could have been a blood clot or something. She did say my mares uterus is clear of fluid and she is healthy enough to have a baby. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

If you are not wanting a foal why don't you just opt for the injection in case she is pregnant? This early it would be quite easy to terminate, where if you wait you may not be able to. Of course if you are fine with the possibility of the resulting foal next spring, guess it doesn't really matter. There are probably a hundred stories on this BB about people mares being accidentally bred, and yes they can be missed!

If she is pregnant I want to keep the baby. I was just wondering if anyone has had the vet say yes she is pregnant, point the sac out and not be able to find it again? But guess will just wait and see.

A Lutalyse shot costs $5 and will terminate the pregnancy now. I would assume that the mare is pregnant just because this is how things seem to work -- the ones you don't want get pregnant in a wink of an eye; the ones you want to breed need lots of special vet treatment. I have a mare that the vet checked not-in-foal last summer, but I felt the vet was wrong because she never cycled again and lives out with the stallion. The mare is definitely in foal -- the vet, who is experienced -- missed the call.

If you want a foal, be prepared for a good 3 years of upkeep until you can actually use the foal for something. Many breeeders are cutting back or not breeding at all given the economy. If you are fine with the financial commitment and like this breeding combo, then go ahead.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmattie View Post
    If she is pregnant I want to keep the baby. I was just wondering if anyone has had the vet say yes she is pregnant, point the sac out and not be able to find it again? But guess will just wait and see.
    Oh ok makes more sense now.....anyway yes that can happen. Depends a lot on your vets experience with repro work, and the quality of their ultrasound machine.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    If you want a foal, be prepared for a good 3 years of upkeep until you can actually use the foal for something. Many breeeders are cutting back or not breeding at all given the economy. If you are fine with the financial commitment and like this breeding combo, then go ahead.
    This. I'm curious to know why your mare was turned out with a colt that could be close to breeding age. Do you board your mare? Who owns the colt in question? I'd be presenting the colt's owners with a bill for some of your mare's vet expenses. Also, like another poster said, is the offspring from the combo going to be something worth going through the expense and risk to your mare?

Do you have any experience dealing with foals/youngsters? What would be your long term plans for the baby- keep or sell? The market is flooded with young, green horses right now and it would be several years and a good chunk of investment before even being able to maybe break even.

I personally wouldn't put my mare through the pregnancy, just for the sake of keeping the baby of an unwanted breeding.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Why did you breed her?
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Many posters recommend "Blessed are the Broodmares" for anyone contemplating a foray into the breeding world.
    For a SparkNotes version, perhaps a quick visit into the "This Ain't No Cow" thread here in OffCourse covers a lot of possibilities.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

It was an accident a long story. I understand the expenses, yes I've been around young horse, no I have never had my own foal, I know it would be 3 years before I could ride the baby.

My question is has anyone had this happen to them during an ultrasound?

They are both registered paint horses, tobianos, I know I still have time to abort if I decide to.

When I scheduled the vet appointment I was hoping for a definite answer, she is an experienced repro vet, but she was honest and said she has made mistakes, it only human.

At 15 days, it's pretty obvious, a distinctly round disc that is like nothing else on the screen (at least on my vet's ultrasound machine). If there is doubt, give it ten days and try again.

However, you said "roundish". If it's only "roundish" and not "very round", it could be a pregnancy that is "diminishing" as my vet described one that wasn't quite round. Mare was pregnant, but she didn't stay that way. It was gone in time to AI again on the next heat cycle.

I'd make sure neither of the parents carry the Lethal White gene. If you aren't familiar with that it is deadly.

And also make sure you know their HYPP status.

Both of those could make me want to abort.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmattie View Post
    My question is has anyone had this happen to them during an ultrasound?
    No I have never had this happen.

They are both registered paint horses, tobianos, I know I still have time to abort if I decide to.
    Your call then. If they are both nicely put together tobianos then the foal will be registerable; it's not the end of the world to allow this to carry to full term. If you choose not to, then just have your mare jabbed and that will be an end to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I'd make sure neither of the parents carry the Lethal White gene. If you aren't familiar with that it is deadly.

And also make sure you know their HYPP status.

Both of those could make me want to abort.
    Oh hang on a minute, we don't even know if there is any Impressive in either of these horses so without that HYPP is not an issue at all. OP said that both horses are tobianos so it's highly unlikely that they will be carrying the LW gene unless there are overo lines in either of their backgrounds. I'm sure you mean well but I think you're jumping the gun a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverbarley View Post
    Oh hang on a minute, we don't even know if there is any Impressive in either of these horses so without that HYPP is not an issue at all. OP said that both horses are tobianos so it's highly unlikely that they will be carrying the LW gene unless there are overo lines in either of their backgrounds. I'm sure you mean well but I think you're jumping the gun a little.
    Re Tobianos and LW
    http://www.horsequest.com/journal/educate/lethaltt.html
    http://www.apha.com/breed/lethalwhites03.html

Some paints have QH lineage that may have HYPP to worry about due to Impressive ancestry. Without knowing her horses/colts pedigree, it is a valid question.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Re Tobianos and LW
    http://www.horsequest.com/journal/educate/lethaltt.html
    http://www.apha.com/breed/lethalwhites03.html

Some paints have QH lineage that may have HYPP to worry about due to Impressive ancestry. Without knowing her horses/colts pedigree, it is a valid question.
    Yes I know all about HYPP and LW, and I'd imagine the OP knows the pedigree of her mare and the stallion. As I say, I do think you are jumping the gun somewhat before knowing the full details.

Not everyone who has a "colt" mount a mare, in an unintentional breeding knows if they might have any of the conditions above. A planned breeding would give a little more assurance.

And if you read my prior post, I only said that I'd make sure I knew their status. Not that they were most assuredly Hypp or LW carriers.

Thank you , I will have her checked again and it was a pretty round shape we looked at for not just a sec, but for a minute or so, I just wonder why we couldn't find it again?

No HYPP, I will talk to the vet about Lethal White, I don't think it should be an issue, but I will investigate to be sure.

[QUOTE=iluvmattie;4807726]Thank you , I will have her checked again and it was a pretty round shape we looked at for not just a sec, but for a minute or so, I just wonder why we couldn't find it again?QUOTE]

remember what you are looking at/for is tiny and easily missed. In the breeders forum, many can tell you in years of breeding, pregnancies have been missed. Determining pregnancy at the earliest of stages is best with repro vets who have diagnosed thousands of pregnancies. Also, ultrasound machines vary widely in quality and a lower quality machine will have a harder time. So once you moved off of it, finding it again can be tricky.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I'm seriously overtired but I just had a hilarious (in my mind anyway) mental image of a mare fretting over a pee stick.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

My friend's mare was bred last year and they assumed it hadn't taken as the vet didn't see anything on two ultrasounds. Several months later her hubby remarks that mare is looking a little more rotund than usual, lo and behold she's pregnant.

That's funny, guess it is kinda like fretting over a pee stick!
    This helps alot, I was under the impression my vet has done alot of repro work. It was just very upsetting that she said right away that she is pregnant and showed me the round sac then couldn't find it again, so said she isn't pregnant. If it was a blood clot I would think that could be found again as well?