The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Pony hates his G.U.T SmartPak...what to do w/26 days worth?

I've given it to him twice and he sniffs it and refuses to touch it. He's not normally picky, either-- One of the previous barns he was at told me they even mixed ACE into his feed since he hates needles! Is there anyway I could convince him to take it? I can't return it, since I ordered it as part of a SmartPak. I'm contemplating giving it away, but I don't know anybody who needs it. At least you can cancel the future autoshipments!

Too bad SP doesn't let you return SmartPaks. I just wasted my $20. (Could've spent it on a new hunter bridle at Broken Horn's sale this coming weekend!)

They should like it. It has licorice powder in it. My horse loved it. Did you try to give it with a little grain and water to see if he would eat it? Sometime after a few time of dressing it a little and they will eat it.

I make my own feed with ground flax seed and paprika and I just add a little molasses and corn oil and they eat it no problem. I know that the paprika can't taste great, so I just dress it up a little.

Good Luck. You could always mix it will apple sauce and syringe it in his mouth?

If your guy really wont eat it and you do want to give it away, PM me. I feed it to one of my horses and wouldn't mind taking it.

Also, SmartPak gives free samples I believe so you can tell if your horse will eat the supplement or not. Perhaps take that route next time.

My guy eats it and couldn't care less, it smells good too.

You could try mixing it with water and the grain or a little tiny bit of molasses perhaps.

I'm surprised he won't eat it as well. My horse is VERY picky when it comes to supplements and the GUT is one that he never hesitates with. His other supplements are pelleted for this reason. I agree with try mixing his grain with a little water and stirring.

Secondly, yes you can give it away if you still have no luck. This happened to me not to long ago with a different supplement. Horse wouldn't even TOUCH his grain so I gave it to my friend whose gelding gets the same supp. (I had ordered the bucket too)

Prior to giving it to my friend I called smartpak and told them that my horse refused to eat the supplement and was there any way of returning an opened bucket? Well they wouldn't take back an open bucket but they DID refund 1/2 my money when I ordered a different supplement to replace the one my gelding wouldn't touch. They also sent a free sample of the pelleted version of the supp I wanted to return.

So at any rate it's worth calling, their customer service is always phenomenal.

I assume this is the Proviable-EQ GUT? I just got a jar through a purchasing program I get through the vet tech program I am in. Just made up his baggies for the next week so we'll see what he thinks... he's not overly picky though. I'm sure someone would be willing to take them off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I assume this is the Proviable-EQ GUT? .
    maybe, but I thought she was talking about Uckele G.U.T

Find a theraputic program that can use it. Call smartpak and tell them you are donating the product and why. I think you will be pleased with their response.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    maybe, but I thought she was talking about Uckele G.U.T
    Ok yes I think you're right. I went to the smartpak page and couldn't find anything but the proviable-eq that had gut on it in the digestion tab.. but the G.U.T. was listed under the ulcer tab. Ignore me then :O)

I've had this same problem, a pony that wouldn't touch it. Others I know, their horses wouldn't eat other smartpak supplements. As far as I am concerned they are batting a thousand, or strike three and they're out, or something.

The Bits and Barter site has a section on supplements, both opened and unopened containers. You might find someone who needs/wants it over there.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Maybe try giving him 1/3 or smaller of the supplement, and gradually increase over time. I had to do that with Uckele's vitamin supplement. I also give it in the PM, so they have all night to clean it up. It took about two weeks to get to the full one scoop, and the buckets are clean every morning.