The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vita_impavida View Post
    I WISH my yearling looked like that! Haha.

Grey Fox, He is stunning!
    Thanks! He's at his first show in that picture with his new owner Brandon Gibson.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Mine is VERY tall - she'll be 1 the end of this month and is the same height and biggered boned then her half-sis who is a whole year older. She string tested to 17.1 at about 6 months of age...haven't done it lately, kinda scared to.

4/20/2009 colt measured 14.3 1/8, 15.2 behind last week with about an 18" cannon bone o.o so we shall see- definatly an akward, lanky stage right now.

Measure my guy on his 1st birthday the 26th, he's over 14.3 at his butt, and he's a tidge over 14.2 at his withers

My filly measured 13.3h as a yearling, and she should get to about 15.3h. She's half-Lusitano, and only seems to grow during the winter, and very slowly. She's 2 now, and 14.2h in front and almost 15h behind.

My gelding was 14.3h at 2, and he should finish at 15.3h. He's 15.2h and not-quite 4 now. His full sister supposedly grew a whole inch between 4 and 5, so I guess it's possible. He's Arab.

Just to give you the other side of the picture. Though I'm taller than you and almost the same weight, and I feel totally fine on my shorter but wider horses.

Yeah, my shorter guy is supposed to be around 15.3, and he's currently at 13.2 (14.1 behind!) and he doesn't officially turn 1 until next month.

But I'm 5'2" and I LOVE me a good 15.2h horse!

We have an March 2009 filly at the barn by Escudo II that the owner thinks is at least 15h at the withers. She was quite petite when born but has shot up and is out of a very tall mare. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up over 17H.

Just yesterday my neighbour and I were in the barn prepping for feeding time. We were yabbing away of this and that and as C-Riot walked by into his stall (he's by Cardento o/o a Rio Grande x Golden Miller mare) as one man we interrupted our own conversation and stared at each other. Jeannie laughed and blurted, "I just walked past him seconds ago outside, and he wasn't that big!?"

I haven't measured him but expect around 17hh+ at maturity and he seems to have had a sudden growth spurt that far outdoes April and Russia, his yearling friends who are only days younger than he.
    GreenGate Stables
    http://ggstables.webs.com/

Default Guesses?

I have a yearling (as of this week) filly that is almost 14.1h at the wither about about 14.1 1/2 at the rear (maybe 14.2). Dam was 15.2-3h, and her sire is 16.1h, but known for throwing larger than himself - has 17h offspring on the ground out of 16.2h mares. Anyone have a guess as to how tall she'll be? I'm not particularly tall or fond of very tall horses, so I'm hoping for about 16h. Maybe 16.1h.
    Thoughts?
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghorse View Post
    I am not sure how big he actually is, but I think he will mature in the 16.2 to 17H size. We video taped him a few weeks ago (at 9 months, excuse the winter fuzzies.) Here is his video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBgFRF93Gpw

I am 5'8" barefoot, and am wearing tennis shoes with a rather thick sole. His butt is now even with/slightly above my eyes. He is by Escudo II, out of a mare by Nicholas x Dederick.
    Here is a picture we took yesterday of the Escudo II boy:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...Horses2009.jpg

My friend is about 5'5" and is wearing clogs...he is a big boy

My Sagnol colt is 15HH at 10 months. I expect he will mature a good 17HH.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Measured my gal - 15.2h - foaled April 27, 2009 - and BONE, she's gonna be a big'un.

yes, as a general rule of thumb I would be looking for a yearling that is at least 14.2H by his/her 12th month. My 2 fillies were both 14.2H on their 1st birthday. Now they are 2....they currently look like they will be 16.3 and 16.2H.Of course the one that will be 16.2 was the "big un" at birth and the one that is passing her was the "little one"!

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    Measured my gal - 15.2h - foaled April 27, 2009 - and BONE, she's gonna be a big'un.
    She IS going to be big!!!

I just measured Joy's Westporte born 2/16/09, and Sophie is 15.2 1/2hh. She's just about the size of Joy!
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Visit our website: Gift Hill Farm and on Facebook

My yearling Timbermill Kitlee measured a bit over 14.0h at 13 months. She should finish around 16.1h.

Sire: Worldly 16.3h
    Dam: Timbermill Kitlee 15.2h

This is Kitlee at 13 months - she's a bit bum high.

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=13months.jpg

Here is a new pic of our yearling - 15.3hh - Her brother is three and 17.3hh

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/i...10-06-08-1.jpg

My Idocus X Ferro colt is 13 months and 16h
    The Dacaprio X Highlight is 13 months and 15.2
    The State of the Art ASB cross is 13 months and 15h.

You people are scaring me!!!! my Escapade filly was a solid 15.3 1/2 h at 15 months of age. On her 3rd Bday she is 16.3 1/4. I was looking for 16.1 dam was 16.0 1/2 and sire is 16.2! Please don't say she will be 17.3!!!!! I am holding my breath that she never even makes 17!

Oh, I would agree with most everyone else. If you want 16.2 or more I would like to see a yearling that is at least 14.2. depending on the breed some grow differently as well. TBs tend to grow more up front while a warmblood can grow til he's 6! of course each horse is different and diet and access to turnout and basic care will play it's role as well with the genetics. I personally do not feed to try and "grow" them. I just use a good feed, plenty of clean hay, and lots of time outside and maintain a great body condition. I had a very malnourished 11 month old filly I rescued a couple of years ago, she was about a 2 on the condition scale and wormy. She was barely 14h when I got her and when I sold her as a 3yr old she was 16.2 1/2, but she did have the genetics to back that up as well. Sire was 17.1 Old and dam was 16.1 TB.

I have one monster yearling....he looks three. He is almost 15.3 and weighs 900 pounds. He is out with my 2 year olds...and is the tallest in the pasture. I cant even keep him with my "normal" yearlings because he is so much bigger he beats on them.

His parents are BOTH 16.1 and he is a full TB.

Maybe just an early grower? I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyduck View Post
    I have one monster yearling....he looks three. He is almost 15.3 and weighs 900 pounds. He is out with my 2 year olds...and is the tallest in the pasture. I cant even keep him with my "normal" yearlings because he is so much bigger he beats on them.

His parents are BOTH 16.1 and he is a full TB.

Maybe just an early grower? I hope!
    Yes I wonder that as well lol

The appendix I am looking at is a year last feb and he is 15.3+ OMG

His knee bones and hocks are like a drafts??? LOL

I told the breeder he MUST be an early grower? NO WAY HE WILL BE 18h?? RIGHT!! LOL