The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How big are your yearlings?

I'm shopping for a yearling. Due to finances, I am likely to end up with an off breed and I'm hearing lots of different heights. My last 3 two yo's (alot of TB blood) grew a full hand from 2 to 4 but it's been a while since I've had a yearling. I'm not small (5'8 and 150#) and I feel big on most horses so I really would be happier with something growing bigger than I had planned as opposed to not reaching the goal. I also realize there is no sure thing, and I know that different breeds grow differently so I'm not holding anyone to their advice. When possible, I am checking the dam/sire heights. If I want 16.2+, what should I be looking for, height wise, in a yearling? I'm thinking under 14.2 is not gonna work, but am I wrong?
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I am not sure how big he actually is, but I think he will mature in the 16.2 to 17H size. We video taped him a few weeks ago (at 9 months, excuse the winter fuzzies.) Here is his video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBgFRF93Gpw

I am 5'8" barefoot, and am wearing tennis shoes with a rather thick sole. His butt is now even with/slightly above my eyes. He is by Escudo II, out of a mare by Nicholas x Dederick.

I think you have to look at the length of the cannon bone more so than height. They all grow at different rates, and the withers are the last area to mature. I've heard that a horse's cannon is 90% done growing by the time they're a yearling.

I will tell you that I grow them big. My 3 yr old is 17.3hh and his dad was 16.3 and mom was 16.2.

Out of the same mare by the stallion Donavan (who is 17hh) I currently have a yearling filly that is 15.1hh the last time I measured her at the beginning of April. She looks bigger daily.

Not sure what discipline you are interested in but if you are looking for bigger, you may find a draft cross to suit your needs.

Good luck and post when you find something.

We have 4 yearlings right now and this is their current estimated size & expected mature height -

#1 (filly) - 15 hands, mature to 17
    #2 (colt) - 15.1 hands, mature to 17
    #3 (colt) - 14.2 hands, mature to 16.2-3
    #4 (colt) - 14.3 hands, mature to 16.1-2

#1 & 3 are out of full sisters. #1 & 4 have the same sire, and #2's sire's damline is the same as 1 & 3. The dam on #4 is just 15.1, so her offspring (even by 17+ hand stallions) are staying right about 16 hands.

For us size is easier to predict as it is generations of mares and their daughters, sisters - we've got a pretty good handle on who's throwing what sizes. Another thing to consider is the size of full siblings along with that of the sires other offspring.

For example - #1 has 2 full siblings on the farm. 1 is a 2007 and he is 17 hands on the nose and not quite finished. The 2008 full sister is 16.2. We have retained the 2004 half brother by Weltmeyer and at last check he is 16.3 3/4...and was the first foal for that particular mare. We had thought he was finished at 16.0-1...he just continues to grow and surprisingly it has been his length of leg in proportion to his body. That being said, I would like him to be finished...I'm only 5'7"!

That particular mareline historically has been pretty reliable in producing horses that mature in the 16.2-17.1 range.

My guy just turned 1 last week. I measured him this morning and he's 14.3 at his withers and 15.2.1/2 behind!!!! Awkward.

His dam is 16.2 1/2 and his sire is a hair over 16.3, maybe 17 hands.

He string tests to be 17 hands so we'll see. Hopefully that front end will catch up to his hind end~!!!!!

my 2005 gelding was 16 hands as a yearling and he's almost 17.2 now.

my 2006 gelding (full brother to aforementioned horse) was a little over 15 hands and he's almost 17 hands now.

my 2008 colt was about 15.1 as a yearling and now as rising 2 y.o. he's about 16.1 at his withers and about 16.3 behind.

My almost-yearling sticks solid 15 in front and 15.2 behind and she is slated to be a BIG baby around 17.2 according to her cannon bone measurements/the old wives 'string test'. I think anything over 14.2 hands at this point, you're going to have something in your size.

Mine is also not quite a yearling just yet. He is 14.3+hh up front, and 15+hh behind. String test of the cannon shows him projected to mature at 17hh, and the point of elbow/upward string test also says about 17hh expected mature height. We shall see.

Sire is 16+hh, dam 15.2+hh, both having much taller horses all throughout their pedigrees...including several over 17hh.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Mine is 14.3 hh in front. Didn't want to measure the rear
    Dam is 15.2 and Sire is 16+. I really expected him to finish around 15.3 but he's most of the way there already. Looks like I have another tall one on my hands.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Thanks. I was thinking at least 14.2 at this point and it sounds like a good estimate. Appreciate the input.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thatsnotme View Post
    I'm shopping for a yearling. Due to finances, I am likely to end up with an off breed and I'm hearing lots of different heights. My last 3 two yo's (alot of TB blood) grew a full hand from 2 to 4 but it's been a while since I've had a yearling. I'm not small (5'8 and 150#) and I feel big on most horses so I really would be happier with something growing bigger than I had planned as opposed to not reaching the goal. I also realize there is no sure thing, and I know that different breeds grow differently so I'm not holding anyone to their advice. When possible, I am checking the dam/sire heights. If I want 16.2+, what should I be looking for, height wise, in a yearling? I'm thinking under 14.2 is not gonna work, but am I wrong?
    I have a 11 month old at 15 hands he is the size of my 3 year olds and so correct and balanced already. He will be in the 17.2 hand range. Sire 16.1-produces large foals and the dam is a big 17.1 hands. pics are on my site, www.havensporthorses.com
    Home of Five Kings HsH (Eurocommerce Berlin x Diamant de Semilly x Quidam de Revel) and several top bred mares www.hshorses.com

Well it sounds to me like the baby should be at least 14hh, now if you want a big one.

I dont even want to know how small my colt is gunna be. But for kicks and giggles someone explain the string test.

I believe the 'string test' is hold a rope from the center of the fetlock joint to the elbow, then keeping the one at the elbow still, you flip the one from the fetlock up. Wherever it stops is approx how tall your yearling will be. I think there is a yearling one and a weanling one and they are somewhat different. I could be wrong.

My For Play filly is 15. now and string-tests using both tests to about 17 H and is all legs. My two year old Landkoenig gelding is 16.2 now and will probably finish at 17.3 where my 5 year old Landkoenig gelding is now. My other 2 year old, a Pablo colt, is 15.2 now and should finish at 16.1, I think. I'm having a hard time finding folks interested in the Landkoenigs who are so very tall.

"laurelleafhanoverians.com"

Quote Originally Posted by dianehalpin View Post
    My For Play filly is 15. now and string-tests using both tests to about 17 H and is all legs. My two year old Landkoenig gelding is 16.2 now and will probably finish at 17.3 where my 5 year old Landkoenig gelding is now. My other 2 year old, a Pablo colt, is 15.2 now and should finish at 16.1, I think. I'm having a hard time finding folks interested in the Landkoenigs who are so very tall.
    I would be more than happy to take them off your hands - I had to breed my own tall ones because I couldn't find anything big enough for my two sons to event - both boys are over 6'1" (the older one is 6'4").

My 3/17/09 Wynton colt Wynston is 15.2. My 6/13/09 Wynton colt Wellington is 14.3. My 1/31/09 Sarkozy filly Saraya is 15.1.

I anticipate Wynston will top 17H, Wellington will be 16.3-17H and Saraya will be around 16.3H
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

Wow. I feel like my yearling may actually stay below 17, which for my 5 foot frame, would be a very good thing!

My 5/09 De Noir/Hohenstein filly is pretty even at the moment at 14.2-14.3
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." *Thomas Edison
    A champion is a dreamer that refused to give up!!

This is Red Label, he turned 1 year a few weeks ago and he was sticked at 15.2hd at that time. I think he'll mature around 17.0hd.

I agree with you a yearly that's under 14.2hd probably won't get as tall as you want. It could happen but I wouldn't take a chance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red_label_show_2010.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	28840  
    Last edited by grayfox; Apr. 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: forgot picture
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Default Gorgeous yearling!

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    This is Red Label, he turned 1 year a few weeks ago and he was sticked at 15.2hd at that time. I think he'll mature around 17.0hd.

I agree with you a yearly that's under 14.2hd probably won't get as tall as you want. It could happen but I wouldn't take a chance.
    I WISH my yearling looked like that! Haha.

Grey Fox, He is stunning!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." *Thomas Edison
    A champion is a dreamer that refused to give up!!