The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Choosing a good hunter sire for a maiden mare....

Ok....I am planning on breeding my 6 year old colored Dutch WB mare in March of 2011. I am breeding for a hunter. My mare is sired by Art Deco and out of a Branco daughter. Branco comes from the Ramiro Z line. My mare also goes back to the famous TB stallion, Uppercut. We have been using her as a hunter these last 2 years and she has had great placings in the baby greens and received a 3rd and 4th at the 2010 Pinto World Championships. Anyways, the stallions I am trying to decide on are:

Redwine
    Crown Affair
    Alla C'zar
    Apiro
    Sir Caletto

I have heard wonderful things about all of these stallions and all of them are very impressive hunters. My favorite out of the 5 is Alla C'zar followed by Crown Affair, then Redwine, then Sir Caletto, then Apiro. I would love to hear opinions from all!!!!!!!!!!

Attached are links to pictures of my mare:

http://equestrianlife.com/viewGaller...90&imgID=30575

http://clubequestrian.com/photos/vie...2yo/10101.aspx

http://clubequestrian.com/photos/vie...f_2/10044.aspx

http://equestrianlife.com/viewGaller...90&imgID=30932
    Last edited by derby_queen; Jan. 5, 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Well - unless I am doing something very very wrong in my "clicking" I cant access any of the links you have posted ...

Hmm....Other people have been able to....I'm not sure what's wrong

The links don't work for me either but I think the first 3 on your list are all fabulous choices.

Does anyone know how to attach the photos to the message without needing a link? They'll just appear?

Ok, fixed them try again.

OK - now that we can see pictures, what are you looking to achieve? More height? Longer stride? Better jump? More substance in the foal? Less substance? What do you need to improve in your mare? What are her weak areas? What strong areas do you want to keep with her?

Visually - if she was my mare, I would want to lighten up the foal and add some refinement and elegance to it, but thats "my" breeding goal and might not necessarily be yours. So I would pick far differently for her than you might ...

The other factors you need to consider are that Alla C'zar is only available frozen - do you have a frozen vet locally that you can use? And are you aware of the EVA protocols necessary for breeding to Redwine?

Are you set on these stallions or do you want a few more choices given to you based on what you tell us your mare's strength's and weaknesses are?

The main areas my mare needs "improvement" on is more jump and improving her hind end. She tends to jump more flat than I would like and doesn't use her hind end as well as she should o/f. I need a stallion who is scopey and uses his back end very nicely. Also, she needs a stallion with a short loin. Those are her only weaknesses. As far as temperament, she has a wonderful dosposition and is incredibly brave without being too bold and is the most reliable horse in the barn to ride. I would love to pass on her beautiful coloring as well

Oops, I meant to put she also needs a stallion with a short loin/back. Sorry.

To add power and scope to improve her jump, I would highly recommend Willemoes at HilCat Farm. He is known for putting a fabulous jump in his foals. Great minds and attitudes, I have shown and started quite a few.

check him out:
    www.hilcatfarm.com

Good Luck!!
    * Magic Hill Farm, LLC
    www.MagicHillFarmLLC.com
    "Bridging the Gap Between the Hunter Breeding and Performance Rings in the US"

You've got a nice list. Just saw Crown Affair go in Reno and he was lovely...

We had a really nice Apiro born here...very fancy...

There can be a little heat in the Zeus line but they usually can jump! We had three Alla'Czars and ours were definitely more the spicy type.

Really like Sir Caletto but haven't had the chance to use him since our our boy is by Caletto I so the breeding is to close for Palladio daughters. Know that crossed with your pinto mare your foal would have a 50/50 chance of greying out so if you got color there would be a chance that it would fade to white over time....

I also will mention our guy Palladio that has been out winning in the Intl hunter derbies. He does have an incredible jump that he does pass on very consistantly. He is very much a more compact frame and tends to improve topline and engagment from behind. His foals are also very quiet and uncomplicated to ride. He would increase your chances for pinto up to 75%. There would be doubling up on Samber but far enough back in my opinion. We had a very fancy gold premium foal from a Domino (also by Samber) mare come to an inspection and that cross was fabulous.

Good luck!!
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Crown Affair and Alla Czar are both frozen only. You might want to read this thread, too. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=287259

If you like Alla'Czar, try looking at Balta'Czar or Aslan - both stand at Jump Start Farm (www.jumpstartfarm.com) and both are sired by Alla'Czar.
    I know that BC has been crossed with Art Deco before, not sure about Aslan off the top of my head.
    BC is known for producing hunter types that have exceptional temperaments and both stallions produce fantastic jump and will lighten up your mare.
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

I am going to suggest Bliss MF to you to have a look at:

http://marabetfarm.us/id21.html

Lovely young stallion, impeccable bloodlines, incredible scope and jump - I like him a lot and love what he has put on the ground so far!

Palladio is a pure athlete in the air as well - as far as a stylist and jumping in impeccable form, I dont think you are going to find many horses - period - that jump better than he does ... He'd be an interesting and good choice for your mare as well and you sure should get the colour between the pair of them!

You'll get some really nice suggestions to consider for your mare - good luck!

I had an Alla Czar colt and he was fabulous! A little neurotic in the stall, but I think the best always have some little foible. His dam was a TB and he was gorgeous.

For a short back, look at my guy, Shine. Couldn't get much shorter in the back. Spectacular hunter, and still going strong at 18

Oldeoaksfarm.com