The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Party Time! Looking for Lower Level Dance Partner for Toolbox Symposium, May 14-16

Would you like to showcase your horse, but rather watch than ride yourself? I am going to be coming from Virginia, but won’t be bringing my horses. If you would like an encouraging and enthusiastic good time, learning and sharing, this is what I can offer.

I rode upper levels eventing for many years during the Le Goff era. I have an Olympic bronze medal for Sportsmanship. I wrote the book, Intermediate Riding Skills, in 1991, still being sold on Amazon with a 4 star rating. I have years of training with Olympic level riders and international coaches. Four years ago, I was hit by a deer while I was galloping my big DWB. I was catapulted and broke my back in many places. With physical therapy and stem cell PRP, I have improved enough that I no longer qualify for para equestrian. Now I am transitioning to “normal”. Because of my back, I am very sensitive to balance and movement. I focus on feel and flow. I am not strong, so I aim for finesse.

I want to learn to be more tuned to the horse with greater softness and fluidity. By riding in the symposium, I can help the instructors think creatively about the adaptations that are needed to teach a rehabbing, very motivated, older rider. I am willing to be the guinea pig to help other riders. I post often on the disabled/rehabbing forum to encourage and pass on what I have learned.

Since I am petite, I am looking for a small-ish paragon of virtue of a mount. My own mare is about 15.2h, by Donnerhall, grandfather, Rubinstein. She takes a wide tree, flat back, some withers. She has lovely gaits, but she isn’t a big mover, which is important for my back. She is sensitive, but quiet and kind.

If you have a horse who might tango with me, Please P.M. me!

Robin Hirst
    ( off to practice my cha-cha-cha)
    Last edited by whicker; Apr. 13, 2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: learning to edit out the codes, sigh...

Holy formatting, Batman!

Yup, you are right. I haven't learned how to do this yet. My humble apologies, O Great Wise One!

Much better, thanks...

I have to ask, however, why not just bring your own horse instead of trying to get a free ride from someone else? I'm sorry for the problems you've had, really, but why not just use your own horse?

It is a very long trip for the time actually there. The organizer suggested asking if an owner would be interested in loaning a horse for the symposium. You assume that the ride would be free. When I rode para, we would loan horses to each other for clinics. I guess that isn't done in your part of the world.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, honestly, I was just asking for clarification purposes. Your profile doesn't say where you're located, so there's no way to know how far the trip is.

Where is the symposium? I would probably loan my mare, she might be a bigger mover than you would idealy like, but she is quite safe, sane and easy to be around. Solid 2nd, schooling 3rd.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

You are welcome to use mine if the symposium is anywhere near Houston.

8yo, 16.1h TB with a quiet temperament who is confirming Second and schooling 3rd.

He does not have huge gaits and is very easy to sit, and he is completely unfazed by new places so he will walk off the truck ready to work.

If it were in Mass - you could ride caddymaster (showing PSG, schooling I1 but solid in the lower levelsl).

I had a breakthrough a few weeks ago that really makes me think of this clinic. For years I have been told to shorten my reins. Now 2 important things: 1) this is not a constant comment but I'll hear it once a lesson - like a mosquito buzing past your ear and then is gone. 2) my contact is good and the head and neck will be where I want them so "SHORTEN THE REINS" did not make sense.

So I had my present trainer video me on my mare. Watching the video I noticed that I ride with my elbows too far back. I have a very erect natural posture so with my elbows close to my back it almost looks like I am bracing my back. My arms are long so even with my elbows back, my hands will be in front of the saddle pad.

So while my trainers and clinicians have asked me to shorten my reins... What I actually needed to hear was to bring my ELBOWS forward

Talking Thank you!

Thank you for your kind offers of a mount for me! I am very grateful that you care enough to share your precious horse with me. It is very generous of you.

The Dressage Tool Box Symposium is in Northern Michigan. It is open to all riders and I know that Karin Offield would love to have you come. There is a thread on the dressage forum about it, and a link to it.

http://www.lingh.nl

Once on the site look for the toolbox button on the left.

The Tool Box is a very unusual opportunity for you to learn. It is very inexpensive because Karin has underwritten it. Only $50 for the whole time, whether you are a instructor, rider, or auditor. The horse fee is only $50. Even the hotel has lower rates until April 15th.

The Tool Box is the first of hopefully many Tool Box Symposiums. It will be video taped and reviewed. The participant's thoughts and suggestions will help and everyone will be given different lessons to approach the dressage movements. People learn best using different senses; visual, auditory, tactual, olifactory, etc. (Maybe the smell of Lavender will help, !) The MSU Educators that Karin plans to bring in are experts in their fields of teaching and learning.

What I am excited about is that there is unlimited time with the all of the participants. You would be able to ask anyone; guru, instructor, judge, rider for help and get a kind, encouraging, focused conversation. It will be a great intensive total immersion experience. You could bring a copy of your video, and have lots of kind help.

I read about the global riders like Karin hanging out with Anky and other famous riders, and you will have a chance to share that kind of time. I know that Hilary Clayton will be coming. She is a blast to talk with.

I am sending each of you a p.m. Thank you so much!
    Last edited by whicker; Apr. 14, 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Thumbs up Great person and rider

I can personally vouch for Whicker aka Robin. Robin is a dear friend of mine for whom I have the utmost respect. I attended a clinic in Robin's area and she gave me the opportunity to ride her Donnerhall mare. I would not hesitate to put Robin on one of my horses. She is a soft, gentle rider who treats her horses with extreme kindness. I am anal retentive when it comes to horse care and Robin more than meets my criteria!

If one of you has a possible mount you could loan out to Robin for the Toolbox Symposium, go for it. Your horse will have a great experience with a lovely rider.
    Beth

I am coming to the symposium with a friend and our "nags"
    Would be happy to loan you a horse, but you would have to pay it's costs, we are about 8-10hours away. I have one or two that may match your needs well. We are traveling from WI border.
    Let me know if you are interested.

I can also vouch for Robin - I really think this would be a win win!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Default Thank you!

Wow, mzm! That is a long way to come and bring your beasties. I am impressed!

I will be sending you a p.m.

Default Bumping up for Robin's sake

Although she has been accused of looking for a "free ride", Robin is a very capable equestrian. Robin would have been a member of the US 3day team had her horse not been injured. If I lived near the Toolbox Symposium, I would loan Robin a horse in a heartbeat. If you cannot afford to ride in the symposium or are too timid, as I would be , your horse can still have the experience with a competent, sympathetic rider who focuses on finesse rather than force!
    Beth

Default Thank you!

Hi !

Just wanted to let you all know that I almost caught a "catch ride" from some riders from the Chicago area that are coming to the Tool Box.

Karin has been helpful and may be able to find a horse for me so I can participate at least one day. I will be a happy camper as an auditor, too. This may be the only Tool Box Symposium ever held, so for me, It's a "Not to be missed event".

Thanks everyone for the rally, I do appreciate it... Hope to meet you at the Tool Box.