The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default In which I actually get to ride a horse....

My mare is still lame, so no, it wasn't a miraculous 'the angels then sang' post-lameness ride. Still. Lame. But in other more positive news, I got to have a ride and a lesson. Which involved actually riding a horse. When I told my best friend, she said, "you can ride them? they aren't just giant expensive gerbils?" Sigh.

Let us introduce to you the fine equine named Rooster. Rooster is 22 or so. Foundation QH, chestnut,15'1ish", built like a Sherman tank, with a wide white blaze and high whites. His blaze has a 3" diameter chestnut dot in the side of it, which is quite cute.

He is the opposite of the TB Mare, who while very sweet, isn't always cuddly or into being groomed. (Her motto: "you're touching me. Why are you touching me?"). Whereas Rooster says "Pet me pet me pet me pet me pet me." Also, "Pet me." I groomed him at length today, and he loved every minute of it, even shedding and cleaning his scratches. Then trainer gave me a flat lesson. Initially he had my number ("Hey, she's like a really large 8 year old rider") until we put him to work properly, and then we had a very productive WTC Intro to Rooster flat lesson. His owner is thrilled to see him get a bit more regular work, and I am going to take a lesson on him every week. Rooster says "Bring it! along with those tiny carrots, which are quite delectable".

He is very broke and very western -- as in, if you kiss kiss, you get a lope. Clicking gets you a trot. but he rounds up if you don't sit like a sack of taters, which will be our mission. He is cute and kind and I'm so thrilled to be riding again -- first time since just before Xmas.

I'm just psyched to have a pony to play with in a way that doesn't involve the outer limits of veterinary science. I loves me some 20 something year old schoolies.

All hail older horses.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Aw, good for you and good for Rooster, he sounds like a gem!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I'm so glad you will be getting some regular riding time - if anyone deserves it you do! (and your friend's comment made me giggle )

Yay, Lori B!! You definitely deserve it!

It is great to get on something without having to be diagnostician (that's at least what I've been doing a lot lately). Those schoolies are the best!

Foundation Quarter Horses are some of the sweetest, level headed, most willing to please, bestest horses I have ever known...
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    He is very broke and very western -- as in, if you kiss kiss, you get a lope. Clicking gets you a trot. but he rounds up if you don't sit like a sack of taters, which will be our mission.
    I love those types!! All horses should have those buttons installed. Maybe I'm just lazy... but... nothing better than a kiss for canter, cluck for trot, and a sharp halt at whoa!

I am SO GLAD you got to ride, and that you will now be able to lesson every week! Woot! You deserve a little saddle time more than anyone. Keep us updated on your adventures as summer progresses...

(And still jingling that KatyBug makes a complete recovery....)
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

So happy for you!!!
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

I'm glad you're getting some saddle time. I so wish you were closer and could come ride my old gal. She's game for whatever and desperately needs more saddle time from someone.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Lori B is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Awww, thank you all! It's nice for this obsession to be more fun for a change. Also, I am SO sore today.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09