The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who Here Besides Me Hates Full Seat Breeches

I hate them. I hate them.

I have tried every size and configuration that is supposed to fit me they all get stuck on my boots bunch around my butt or are just a plain nuisance. I have even had a pair custom made to fit me. I do not need them to sit the trot or to ride a wild horse. I just feel them getting in the way. Oh and it's just awesome when I sound like I'm killing a little bird when the deer skin full seats start to squeak when I'm posting. Ok now I feel better. Any body know where I can get a good deal on white show breeches with just knee patches?

Ha, I don't have the same distain for full seat breeches as you do! But I love these! http://www.victorycanter.com/Ovation...h-p-21735.html

Full seat breeches are one of God's greatest inventions! Too bad you haven't been able to enjoy them! I love my Kerrit's Sit Tight breeches, but I also love most full seat breeches, the stickier the better!

You must have not ridden in good full seat's then. Pikeur Mondega's or Lugana's feel like second skin. I wear them all day and have to force myself to change into jeans when I'm not riding. (They are not cheap so I don't want to unnecessarily wear them down)

I used to feel the same way, until I went to FITS. Three pairs later and I couldn't imagine riding in anything else!!!

Oh and it's just awesome when I sound like I'm killing a little bird when the deer skin full seats start to squeak when I'm posting.

Mirror Image 2001-2007

I do, but I admit I probably haven't tried a really quality pair. I am unwilling to shell out big $ for some when I hate them so much, so I suppose I never will.

Every pair I've ever tried rubs in weird places, or feels like I am wearing the less useful half of a garbage bag on my butt. They make me sweat in terrible places and I feel like I can't follow the motion of the horse properly. I'll stick to my knee patches, thankyouverymuch.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I totally agree! I ride all day every day and it is only knee patches for me! Occasionally I will show in full seats because I have them, but I find them of no real advantage and prefer to be a bit "slippery" in my regular breeches. Much better in hot weather also.
    But heck, I ride in layers of sweat pants in the winter - talk about slippery!

I hated all full seats until F.I.T.S. came along. They are nice, nice, nice.

I don't like them either. I always pull on my full seats at home and then promptly take them right back off and go back to the riding tights. They feel so restrictive!!!!

I mean, if you have flawless equitation and your butt is where it's supposed to be, I guess it doesn't matter if you can't move that much, but when half the time you're trying to relocate your body parts into the appropriate position, it's nice to be able to adjust quickly rather than have to fight with your pants.

I do love my riding tights that have little sticky dots on the butt, which gives me maybe a little more grip except that the dots are all worn down so probably the net result is nothing at this point.

I hated full seats...until I got some by Pikeur
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

VTO's private label breeches and TuffRider's both have knee patch breeches in white. I think Dover Saddlery also offers them in their Riding Sport line too.

Despise cheap Fullseats. Adore Cavallo and Pikeurs.

EBay is your friend...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

For everyday riding I'm usually in jeans and halfchaps or knee-patch breeches and boots- I just have more pairs of knee patch breeches than full seats, so the full seats end up staying in the drawer. For shows I have a pair of full seat tuff riders, but I also have a pair of white knee patch tailored sportsmans which I love!

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Hate them. A few years ago I looked at a photo of our Olympic Dressage team on the podium. None of them was wearing full seats..

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy's Mom View Post
    I used to feel the same way, until I went to FITS. Three pairs later and I couldn't imagine riding in anything else!!!
    ^This! Four pairs and counting...

I purchased my first pair of full-seats to eliminate the (premature) hole in the old arse caused from friction between my butt and the saddle....not to stay on. Now my britches last 5 times as long (ok not that much but more than double).

I don't have trouble with sagging and ride in the cheap clarino seats - no squeaking! Oh - and less heat too!
    Sandy in Fla.

Talking

Full seats over cloth do not ride or feel like full seats of leather against hide. (however not commando )
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Default ME TOO!

I hate full seats because my seat is already too full.

I detest them and abhor having to show in them because it's virtually impossible to find nice white breeches that aren't full seats.
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Default Pikeur or Cavallo

I LOVE my full seats but you absolutely cannot cheap out, as some people have already said. I have worn nothing but full seat Pikeurs for the last 12 years. I am now thinking about trying out some Cavallos...