The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any eventing barns (or any barns at all) near Savannah, GA?

Hey all,

I recently got a job offer in the Savannah, GA area (yay!) but I am struggling with finding a place for my mare (I am completely unfamiliar with the area). Does anyone know of any barns nearby? I think that I will be close to the SC border as well, but a solid 4-5 hours away from Atlanta where most of the eventing barns are.
    I am looking for either pasture or stall board, but don't want to spend more than $500/month for stall board if I can avoid it. Other than that, I NEED a ring with lights and a barn that will tolerate riding early in the morning or later at night. Space to hack is pretty important to me as well. I don't need an indoor/covered ring or anything fancy, just safe with good turnout.
    I've found some places online, but most seem to be hunter barns (which I am fine with as long as there aren't any rules about mandatory lessons/no jumping unless in a lesson...some of the ones I found unfortunately were that way). So just wondering if anyone knew of anything that might be under the internet radar, or any thoughts on nearby barns. Thanks!!

My husband is from Savannah so I know a little bit about the area. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any eventing barns in Savannah. I think the best you can do is find a barn that does hunter/jumper and has someone who knows something about dressage, too. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Don't know particularly about these, but perhaps you can check and/or others can chime in:

http://www.cypressgrovestables.com/

http://www.savannahhorse.com/boarding.htm

Jennifer Helgren used to be near savannah, but I think she is in Aiken now.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

hi, i have two very good friends up in that area with barns. both hunter/jumper's but great people. will be more than happy to pass on contact numbers, just email or pm me.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Not much in the way of eventing barns in Savannah. There is a new barn opening in about a month. It will have a lighted areana with lots of trails for hacking. I believe the board will be $650 a month although that will include fly spray, sand clear, and worming. The barn also plans on building a cross country course although the owner is a Grand Prix jumper rider. We have a couple of really good trainers from Aiken that come here once a month for clinics. Susie Cain And Catherine Gellman for dressage, and Ann Thal for jumpers. All are excellent. PM if you would like phone numbers or more info.

Thanks everyone!! I figured that I might not find an eventing barn per se, so I would be perfectly happy with a good, safe place that is eventer friendly and not too pricey. I really appreciate all the suggestions because I wasn't finding many places to look at!