The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

OK. I just got back from the barn.

This is so unscientific I can't believe it, but all I can do is tell you what happened.

1. I went to her stall and got her. Ears forward, mouth full of hay. This is pretty normal.

2. Took her to indoor. Closed the door and turned her loose. Trotted off. I went to pee. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif <Too Much Information, KT.>

3. Came back with armload of hay. Put it down for her to munch while I brush her and saddle her. Everything thus far, completely normal.

More coming ...
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

OK. I just got back from the barn.

This is so unscientific I can't believe it, but all I can do is tell you what happened.

1. I went to her stall and got her. Ears forward, mouth full of hay. This is pretty normal.

2. Took her to indoor. Closed the door and turned her loose. Trotted off. I went to pee. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif &lt;Too Much Information, KT.&gt;

3. Came back with armload of hay. Put it down for her to munch while I brush her and saddle her. Everything thus far, completely normal.

More coming ...
    "For God hates utterly

4. So I want to see how she's moving. Haven't removed her blankets, but am interested to make sure she isn't off. This is SOP.

5. She's moving just fine. Which is not unusual. There are days when she's moving along no problemo.

6. Now starts the new stuff. She feels great. She's cantering. She gave a HUGE buck. It's happened before... so not THAT unusual. But certainly not an everyday occurance.

7. But she's not stopping ... she's trotting around, by herself. Having a ball. Not THAT unusual ... but a little unusual.

8. Ok... she's still trotting around ... now it starting to be VERY unusual. She is really UP. She's never done this before. I've never seen her like this.

9. She trots over ... very lofty, suspended trot. Never seen it. Then she gives a couple of those HUGE snorts that shake the building. Never heard them before. What the heck's going on here ...

10. She's still trotting around, cantering ... so I tell her to "Whoa" so I can get her over and start to saddle her. SHE WOULDN'T LET ME CATCH HER. She's NEVER done this. Not in the field, certainly not in the indoor.

11. This went on for a full half hour total...that's from the time we walked into the arena until she finally let herself get caught. I had to BRIBE her with apple treats. This has never happen before. This horse felt GOOOOOOD.

12. We worked for a full hour. This was a very happy horse ... ears forward, compliant. We even JUMPED a small cross rails three times. No problem.

I don't know what conclusions I can draw from this. She has been on LubriSyn for two days now, and HylaMotion for almost three months.

Any of you people have any questions? Anything I can look for? I mean if this continues, I'm going to do back flips.
    "For God hates utterly

Wow! I'm thinking the red mare is going to have to find herself some LubriSyn when she goes back into regular work this spring. I've been following the other thread to see how everything works out, but this is even better...all the results in one place (hopefully).

The only question I have is, how much did you end up paying for it?

Congrats on having such a happy mare, OM.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Thanks Caitlin.

Honestly, I do NOT want to get my hopes up. This is so remarkably unscientific I'm embarrassed, but at least I'm just tell you folks what's going on.

I ended up paying just under $70 for one month's supply. If she keeps on like this, I will discontinue the Yucca I have her on ... which should save me a little bit.

Anyway. Let's see what happens with the other folks.
    "For God hates utterly

Okay, well, my Hyalun arrived a few days ago (it is such a small bottle, importation is a breeze!) And after paying a part of the Swiss Customs salaries for the year, ( ie, ridiculous customs charges) I am ready to go.

WEll, I started him on the gel (30 mg per 10cc) as a loading dose yesterday morning. Last night, I went to the barn, and took him to the indoor to do a bit of lunging and to chase him around a bit.

He acted like a complete fool. He does this "crazy horse routine" very very occasionally (think, a few times a year), so it is hard to say. But, he was bucking like crazy, and he was galloping around so hard I had to stop him (ie, put him on the lunge) I was scared he would get hurt. I have done the exact same thing (turnout in the indoor and then light lunging) for the last few months in the indoor(lot's of snow this year!! ) at least 3 times per week, and he has NEVER been this excited. I usually have to chase his pokey a$$ around. HOWEVER, he CAN be hot and sensitive, it is his nature... it's just that he usually doesn't run around like a crazy man in our evening sessions in the indoor. We do this alot http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

He definately felt good. He normally isn't this "up" (as OM well described). But, there could be lot's of reasons for this. I will wait until the end of the month and make a more objective assessment. If this continues, though... well...I hope he doesn't start incorporating those quite impressive bucks into our under saddle time http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

Overall movement was good, as he usually is once warmed up, really. Didn't notice really any change, except how freaking excited about life he seemed to be. Will know more in a month http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Note: Completely UNSCIENTIFIC!!! Completely. BUT, I have not changed anything prior to the "trial". Even the weather has stayed the same for the last few weeks (I WISH it would change! I have had enough cold!!). Maybe it is a full moon. Maybe it is chance. Maybe it is luck. By the end of the month, I will have a much more informed opinion!

Oh, BTW, my horse isn't lame...just stiff sometimes. He has an old shoulder injury, and has been diagnosed with beginning stage arthritis in his knee. Feet issues, soreness issues, etc. But, all of the issue have been resolved, EXCEPT for the lingering stiffness/soreness (slight). He is an 8 year old Swiss warmblood, 17 hands.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHJoker:
    Note: Completely UNSCIENTIFIC!!! Completely. BUT, I have not changed anything prior to the "trial". Even the weather has stayed the same for the last few weeks (I WISH it would change! I have had enough cold!!). Maybe it is a full moon. Maybe it is chance. Maybe it is luck. By the end of the month, I will have a much more informed opinion!

Oh, BTW, my horse isn't lame...just stiff sometimes. He has an old shoulder injury, and has been diagnosed with beginning stage arthritis in his knee. Feet issues, soreness issues, etc. But, all of the issue have been resolved, EXCEPT for the lingering stiffness/soreness (slight). He is an 8 year old Swiss warmblood, 17 hands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, CHJoker. She felt GOOD. Ditto on both issues. She's NQR. That's the only way I can describe it. And now she's just fine.

Go figure.
    "For God hates utterly

Wow! These updates are very exciting! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif I'll be keeping a close eye on how things go with each product (lubrisyn and hyalyn).

Abe (my rescue OTTB who had 20+ bone chips removed from his knee in October) is doing much better now after doing physical therapy and putting him on Cosequin exclusively (Fluid Action with HA, MSM and BL Solution did nothing for him), but he still comes out sore in the morning and isn't anywhere near sound at the trot yet. So I'm looking for a miracle! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Please keep the updates coming! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fessy's Mom:

Abe (my rescue OTTB who had 20+ bone chips removed from his knee in October) is doing much better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would be a perfect test case as he is on anything at the moment, ... no hyluronic acid.

Pick one and try it ...
    "For God hates utterly

I must have missed the originals on this....

are these oral hyluronic (sp?) acid products? From where? How much? Info would be GREAT because there's an older, stiff horse in our barn whose owner is poking around trying these.....

THANKS!

I think it's time for me to join the club. Where did you get your LubriSyn?

I have a 17.2h, 1400 lb, 13 year old thoroughbred who just had his left hock injected but who is stiff, well, everywhere. He's been on joint supplements now for a month, but with only moderate improvements.

So, where did you get it?? Please do tell!

Well, I put the summary of one of our lesson horse's experience with LubriSyn on the other topic, but might as well do it here since this is the summary...

@26-26 year old grade mare, 15.2 had career as gaming horse, trail horse, assorted. Last two years or so has been used as a lesson horse. Anywhere from 2 to 5 lessons per week, used to be WTC with beginners, for 8 months or so was W-T with small children only, occassional trailride or bareback mosey around the arena with an adult. About 2 months ago, started getting so sore & stiff she was starting to look her age (instead of half it like she always had) and it got to the point everyone was pretty much discussing that she was done even with the W-T tiny kids and needed total retirement. Vet recommended LubriSyn. Started out on the "one click of the dial" each day. Within a week, she was back up to her old self. She's now down to 'one click' 3 days per week. She looks GREAT. In the 1.5 years I've been at this barn, I've never seen her move so freely & comfortably. She's back up to a full lesson load too.

Oh, BTW, she was on Cortaflx daily before.

Speaking of unscientific.....

Gryffin started yesterday so after 2 15ml doses -- he has been SLEEPING 1/2 the day, and he is one who usually bucks and snorts and plays and can be tricky to catch.... despite the fact he's out 24/7!!!

First he napped in the sun at the usual time, then when I went out to ride an hour or so later, he was napping in the straw in his shelter.

He feels fine and quite cheerfully got up to see me -- so I gave him the day off. See what his attitude is tomorrow. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

I noticed my mare was having trouble sometimes getting up after napping on a cold day...so it's possible the stuff could increase their ability to sleep more comfortable as well as move around....at work and cheating by posting....

Will report on my own mare after I get home. Friday or saturday for sure.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Totally Unscientific Lubrisyn Trial, Day 2:

(Disclaimer: He hasn't been lame. I wouldn't even have called him NQR. He does, however, have his occasional stiffness issues, and I have noticed a BIG difference in him after he gets Legend and Adequan. So I decided to try it.)

Went out to ride him today. First thing I notice is that he's not stocked up in his hind pasterns. He's *always* stocked up in his hind pasterns after being in overnight. I figure this is a good sign.

Get him out of the stall. He seems somehow more lively than usual. (Not doing anything stupid, just more pleasant somehow.)

Tack him up and go to ride. Other than seeming more forward than usual, I can't say I saw a huge difference. However, he did get vaccinations on Tuesday, and is probably still a little sore from that.

Will continue to monitor progress and post updates.

Totally Unscientific report - Day 11
    Temperature more moderate and consequently my horses' behaviour as well. Had a good ride, schooled gymnastics. Where I might normally feel several uneven trot steps at some point in the ride, I didn't tonight. Next ride and report Saturday.

Totally Unscientific Lubrisyn Trial, also Day 2:

<span class="ev_code_RED">TULT</span>

Ok. She was not HYSTERICALLY HAPPY like last night. But moderately happy.

She did her job VERY VERY well. No off steps at ALL.

More tomorrow. STAY TUNED!
    "For God hates utterly

Ok, so where in the name of God , do you get Lubrisyn? I called the rep. no call back. I'll order from anywhere. Help please.

TUHT report: (Totally Unscientific Hyalun Trial)

I am not sure where you get Lubrisyn... go to the website and email them. They should be able to give you the name of a vet you can get it from.

Or, try Hyalun? I can't get the lubrisyn right now, so I am importing Hyalun.

Did not have time to ride last night, work load sucks right now, so will report on Monday, after we see how the weekend goes.

I can report one odd thing. I live very close to the stable, and I usually take Mr. Joker for a walk in the morning (not riding, just handwalking). It wakes both of us up http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Anyway, today I noticed immediately... he STRIDED out of his stall. He never does that. It is more like a shuffle out of his stall.

Interesting. Will keep updating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mbeans99:
    Ok, so where in the name of God , do you get Lubrisyn? I called the rep. no call back. I'll order from anywhere. Help please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

check your PTs.
    "For God hates utterly