The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse lease question--help!

I'm planning to 1/2 lease my horse to a 12-year old who has some hunter experience and now wants to event. The lease is detailed and includes a liability release, of course. One of the terms of the lease also includes a clause that states that a parent and/or the trainer must be present when the child is riding.

The horse will be leased at a fine training facility with instructor/trainer.

After reviewing the lease, the parents (and trainer) came back wanting the child to be able to ride with other students (other kids) providing that "an adult" (not a parent) is present on the farm. From a safety/liability standpoint, I'm kind of concerned about that.

I might add that the second time the child rode the horse in trial, she fell while jumping (she wasn't injured). To my knowledge, the child did not have permission to be jumping, a parent was not present, and there was no other "direct" supervision. I was kind of ticked when I was informed, so I made sure that details addressing this were included in the lease.

What are your thoughts--what would you do? How would you proceed with the lease?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by greygirls View Post
    I might add that the second time the child rode the horse in trial, she fell while jumping (she wasn't injured). To my knowledge, the child did not have permission to be jumping, a parent was not present, and there was no other "direct" supervision.
    I think you've already answered your own question.

LauraKY, you're absolutely right, I have the answer. I was just feeling "pushed" by others. Thank you.

It's your lease, so ultimately it's up to you. I don't think that's an unheard-of sort of provision, and you can likely find someone to agree to it, even if it's a dealbreaker for this family.

It's not a provision I would personally insist on (or even try, actually) - but then, I'm one of those people who learned to ride by galloping around the countryside with my friends (in between lessons ), and I wish all kids could have the same sort of experience. It definitely made me the rider I am today. (And I mean that in a good way! ) Sadly, it's becoming less and less possible in our crowded and litigious environment.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Chances are they will break it anyway, but if the kid gets hurt without the parents present, you will be covered.

Since the lease would actually be made with the parents...not the 12 year old, I would most definitely include a snippet in there that a parent or legal guardian must be present at all times (direct supervision not....mom's here, but she's sitting in the car talking on her cell phone while rider is unsupervised riding, helmet required, etc. as well.) Though you may not be able to enforce ALL stipulations of the lease (direct supervision,) at least your hiney is covered. It's your horse...your lease.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

What if the kid carpools with other students? If your lease limits her to ride only when HER parent is there, she can't ride at all if she carpools. I personally would not have a problem with a provision that she can only ride when an adult is on-site.

But like a previous poster said - I also live in a part of the country where we gallop through the pastures in spring because we're so happy to see grass ... sometimes without helmets. And we hop on our horses bareback and ride them in from pasture when we go get them. Teenagers here can drive alone at 14, and the horsey teens and families are grateful that now the teen can drive herself to the barn when she wants to go 4-5 times per week. It's rare to see a parent on site with most of the teens at our barn!

When I leased to a 12 yr old - she's 16 now with her own horse - I had provisions that she could not jump without either me or a trainer present. I also had limits on how often she could jump and how high she could jump, with a provision that in a lesson with certain trainers she could jump higher if requested by the trainer.

But ultimately, it's your horse, and if you want a parent there, that's what you have to say! If she's already broken the rules and you are really concerned that she's going to be a potential problem, perhaps this lease isn't a good fit.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Kids galloping around and playing is fine.

NOT on somebody else's good show/Event horse. For what OP has invested in training and competing this horse, she is not under any obligation to "let the kid be a kid" with it.

Many horses are available to hang around and have fun with and if that's what they want to do? They can go find one.

Stick to your guns about the terms of your lease...and, really, trainer needs to stay OUT of it. It's between you and the parents of this kid.

I dunno, I think alot of kids just want a horse to ride around on and get pushed into high powered lesson and show situations. But that is not OPs issue to fix.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Kids will do REALLY stupid things when there are other kids around to push them into doing it.

I don't know why the trainer would want the kids to be riding with out an adult present!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    I don't know why the trainer would want the kids to be riding with out an adult present!
    No, trainer/parents are asking for permission to ride with an adult present - just not specifically the parent of the 12 yr old, or the trainer.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Oh - sorry! Well that makes a lot more sense :x.

I'm just thinking about a problem my friend was having with her lesson-girls this weekend. I'd suggest you stipulate that a horsey or at least responsible adult is watching (if that is possible to word properly) because the girls had someone "watching" them jump from inside the house after they were expressly told not to jump alone by their trainer/the person responsible for the horses/my friend.

Again - kids will do really stupid things when there are other kids around to push them into it, that I know from personal experience . (as in: me...)
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Tif_Ann View Post
    No, trainer/parents are asking for permission to ride with an adult present - just not specifically the parent of the 12 yr old, or the trainer.

Well, I can sure think of alot of adult parents who are about as irresponsible as they come when it comes to keeping an eye on a bunch of other peoples kids. And nobody cares about somebody else's kid like they care about their own.

I don't see that as an unreasonable request at all. It's a half lease anyway, 3 days a week? Don't see the big deal about asking for that kid's parent or the trainer to supervise.

12 is also not an age of great maturity, still very much kids....with poor judgement when in a group and poorly supervised.

If the kid was 15 or older and proven responsible, I could see giving her more leeway. Not 12 with a half lease on a trained competition horse...and ALREADY came off doing something she was not supposed to be doing.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Well, I stuck to my guns, and the lease is going to be signed.

I do believe the child seriously wants to learn to event, and the horse has done it for 8 years and can help her get there. I still question the parent involvement, though--the fact that none was present for her "second" ride on the horse. If it had been me, I would have been hanging over the fence.

And one parent mentioned that they had leased horses before but never signed anything "so formal." Well, that's great if you can get away with it. Yikes! Anyone out there got a trained dressage horse I can lease without signing anything? (LOL)

Wish us luck--me, the horse, and the girl--and thanks for all your input.