The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2-Ring Elevator Bit with French Link

So I am in needing to purchase a 2-ring elevator bit with a french link and was just wanting to get some opinions on the best ones out there.

On Smart Pak I see the Korsteel 2 Ring French Elevator. It looks like a good price but I am worried that it may be too thick at the sides. Does anyone know how thick it is?

Also I see the Herm Sprenger KK Ultra Aurigan Show Jumping Bit but it is really expensive so I would like to keep the cost down. I do have a regular loose ring kk and love it but over $200 for a bit seems like a bit to much in my opinion.

Your opinions? Any thoughts on the ones listed above?

Thanks!

I haven't had any experience with the korsteel french link,but I do have korsteel single joint. It can be a little on thick side, especially if you have a horse with a tiny mouth. But if you are looking for some other options try ebay..You can get some really good deals on the KK bits, I got my loose ring KK on there for about 35 bucks used. I just put the bit in a pot of boiling water for about 10-15 minutes to sanitize!

I have the Korsteel elevator for my pony. The sides of it seem to just be a little thicker than my thumb. I will measure the exact thinkness of it today when I go to ride.

Or you could split the price difference and get the Neue Schule Tranz Lozenge Universal. It's about $120 if you order it stateside, but I've found that it's usually cheaper to order them direct from Europe. I imagine you'd spend about $95 shipped if you ordered direct.

http://www.hastilowusa.com/shop/inde...19&prevstart=0

1 word..... Ebay

You can spend a whole lot less and get all the same stuff.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries