The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Almost died laughing when I saw this!!

One of my non-horsey friends got really excited when she came across this. Her exact words: "Look! Those weird pants you wear are actually fashionable now!"

Apparently I we were all trendsetters when we wore them on campus, at the grocery store, ect. Who knew?!

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsaor300.html

haha That is great! i have been getting a kick out of seeing girls walking around wearing field boots with skirts and such lately... but i think this may top it!!!

My sister, who is into fashion the way I'm into horses , has been sporting this trend for some time. At least she went to an actual tack store and bought actual breeches, though, so I have stopped laughing at her. Mostly.

I wear my show shirts sometimes when I had to dress up for work (which is verrrrry occasionally), and I always get compliments. So, hey, maybe we really are all on to something!
    Proud member of the EDRF

my favorite part was all the reviews saying how flattering these are....news to most of us, who live in them!
    And one person said she wore them to work with a "tubetop bodysuit and black jacket"

um.

So, where, exactly, do you think she works????
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

See now, in the absence of a horse, I think those pants look ridiculous! Real breeches serving a purpose are cool, but those nonsensical imitations are a joke waiting to happen!

Hahahaa...Thats pretty funny. I have yet to see anyone walking around in breeches because they are the new trend, or field boots for that matter...It would be quite the sight

Weird.

No one ever looks at me like I'm fashionable when I wear breeches in public. Although maybe it's because I usually have dirt and horse slobber on them.

Or I'm wearing FITs. I can't even imagine what people are thinking when I go inside a gas station on the way home from an event when I'm wearing those.
    T3DE Pact

I was in the bank today in navy full seats and my pink flying cross tee and one of the ladies definitely said how cute my pants were. I was like, "oh they are just riding pants", and she goes, "I know, but they are cuter than the other ones I've seen!".

Ummmm OK!
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

asterix- I have a few ideas were a tube top body suit is considered work appropriate, not to mention pairing it with tight pants.... haha

Even when I was in Lexington, people would give a the breeches a weird look. Although, my friend swore it was what made the guys from the feed store load up two dozen bags of shavings into the truck for her. Every week

When I went to NYC back in March, I saw even older women walking around the streets dressed like they were ready to ride! Tall boots and breeches, some even had knee patches. So fashion forward!
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Quote Originally Posted by piaffeprincess98 View Post
    When I went to NYC back in March, I saw even older women walking around the streets dressed like they were ready to ride! Tall boots and breeches, some even had knee patches. So fashion forward!
    Ow. I can't imagine trying to walk for a long period of time in my field boots. Honestly, I hope theirs fit them better than do mine. How do you think they actually break the things in? Didn't know it was possible without copious amounts of sweat and barn dirt.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I used to be embarrassed when I was young and my mom would go out in her britches and boots...because someone once asked her if she was a scuba diver
    I agree with KGB that my britches and boots are usually covered in dirt, manure, hay or whatever might attach itself, so I am no longer embarrassed
    Mirror Image 2001-2007

Back in the early 80's, a friend and I would drive several hours to lesson with an excellent dressage trainer. We would stop for luncheon at an upscale (for the area) resort. One afternoon, we went into the ladies room, and a very frightened-sounding elderly voice began to demand from within one of the stalls, "What do you think you are doing in here?!? Get out NOW!!"

Turns out, all she could visualise from under the stall partition was two sets of black-booted feet...she thought two men had walked in...

This is so funny! I can't believe they are a fashion trend! Who knew?

My boyfriend and I stopped at the grocery store on the way to the barn (to get carrots) and I was wearing riding pants. On the way into the store I told him to keep a rough count on how many people gave the "what is she wearing?" face/stare.

He counted 12 people, which I thought was actually a little low for the norm considering it was a beautiful Saturday afternoon and the store was pretty crowded.

I don't know...maybe they all though I was fashionable?

Those "fashion" pants make me laugh. I must live in a fashion backward area, because I still get the funny looks when I go into stores with my riding pants on. Ceratinly doesn't stop me from doing it though. I sort of try to pretend that I look normal. Although maybe it is the authentic barn odor that frequently accompanies me that draws people's attention...

I can't imagine paying $72.00 for a pair of fake riding pants- nor can I imagine wearing riding pants as normal pants. I think the high waste on those pants is incredibly unflattering. If I saw someone at work sporting those jobbies, it would be hard not to laugh. I think they would be against our dress code anyhow, being skin tight.

yeah i have to say that i doubt they can be appropriate for work... they look like they are made to be wayyy tighter than ones actually made for riding. I suppose I could always throw on a cleanish pair with a suit jacket tomorrow and give it a try! Go ahead and take bets on how long it take me to get sent home! or straight to the barn, cause, really, id be all set

Quote Originally Posted by KBG Eventer View Post
    Weird.

No one ever looks at me like I'm fashionable when I wear breeches in public. Although maybe it's because I usually have dirt and horse slobber on them.

Or I'm wearing FITs. I can't even imagine what people are thinking when I go inside a gas station on the way home from an event when I'm wearing those.
    I find people are more likely to comment on FITs. I had one young fella make an effort to find out "what kind of pants those are". It was amusing and creepy all at the same time.

I remember my mum having some expensive Ralph Lauren riding britches as high fashion pants when I was a kid. I thought it was poser/silly then and I do now too!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

So i have been laughing about these pants with some horsey friends of mine today. then as i was walking across campus (im a college student) i saw a girl wearing a pair! they were definitely 'fashion' riding pants unless they've started to make britches with little buttons down the ankle!!! i literally couldn't help myself and laughed out loud (alone mind you) getting several strange looks from people walking by, but it was so silly looking it made my day!

(not to hijack, but...)

You think as women you get funny looks??? Try being a 6'2 male walking into Walmart or somewhere in public, lol. I quit caring a LONG time ago.... I do make sure however to be wearing tall boots or half chaps so as to at least be partially self explanatory!!
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Wink

Ralph Lauren was showing a really expensive pair of (unusable for riding) equestrian style pants last year. Also, many of the boots shown now are "riding" style or "equestrian" style boots. But the zippers are on the inside, which makes me laugh. When the leggings and skinny jeans (and tunic top)styles came into style last year, I started wearing some of my riding clothes (when clean, LOL) for regular wear. It helped me out as one pair of riding jeans I had purchased (nonreturnable on sale) were too loose for riding (they rubbed), so I wear them as fashion jeans now! Gotta love the new trend.